2002 4.7 Durango 4WD radiator replacement

scottb

I will get a manual for the Durango this week.

I noticed a few drips under the front of the Durango this afternoon. I took the splash gaurd down and I thought it was oil. I just changed the oil 2 weeks ago. The oil filter was wet, so I replaced the oil filter, thinking maybe the rubber o-ring on the filter had a leak.

While I was replacing that, I noticed the front core support was wet.

I did not see any signs of leak on the radiator surface that I could see in front of the fan. Does not appear to be the hose clamps or the water pump. I pressure tested the system, but still not able to locate the actual point on the leak. Must be a spot on the radiator that I can not see due to the fan shroud and coolant over flow bottle.

Any tips before I attempt this? I haven't done a google search yet either.

It appears the radiator is removed from the front. Looks like there should be enough room if the AC condenser is moved alittle.

The transmission lines appear to be a push fit, kinda like the older GM fuel filter connections?

I plan to replace the upper and lower hoses and also the thermostat too.

So then the second part will be bleeding the cooling system.

Thanks in advance.

Ugh... Dodges... BUY A CHEVY! :lol:

IIRC, it's a pretty straight forward job. Pull the fan clutch from the water pump so that you can get the shroud out, pull the shroud, unblolt the radiator, quick connect fittings for the trans cooler usually. I would make sure that the inside of the water pump pulley is dry, as they fail more often than radiators.

Hope this helps!