airbrushing bike or pin stripping for wife's christmas present

crb

My wife loves her bike, but wishes it was more femine (spelling?). I am not very good at these things so I'm looking for advice. Her bike is a silver/metallic gray 883 Harley. I'm wondering how purple or pink pinstriping would look on it, I'm bad at the color matching thing. Or should I paint entire bike? I thought flames would be cool on the tank and a pig she likes pigs. Any other ideas?

Anybody here do airbrushing or pinstriping?

Is airbrushing better than vinyl graphics?

Mar_7_2011_8488.jpg

vp1889166_2_large.jpg

Edited by crb

I'll take some better pictures this weekend. Trying to get ideas I would ask her what she would like to see, but she doesn't know and I don't want let on that I'm thinking of doing it for Christmas. She always figures out what I get her early so I have to be careful.

I know there are several woman that frequent the forum here so I figured I would throw it out there.

I'm not looking for something that screams barbie girl.

Edited by crb

Silver is a good base color for a LOT of options, I have had so many ideas for mine but its too much to narrow down for me with all the bodywork thats on my ride.......but for a ladies cruiser, I'd have it striped pink and maybe violet or darker purple for some contrast. Nothing too crazy, since its HER bike - just some tasteful accents to personalize it for her ya know?

Isn't the fact that it's a Sportster feminine enough? :dontbemadtho:

I thought so, but she doesn't think so, she a woman I don't understand it. Her is definitely more femine than none I've road her 883 twice, cause I was too lazy to put it in the garage so I road it, anyway now I know why she doesn't keep up all that well. Lol. My 1200 will haul comparativly, and probably more than I need for now. I have to watch my speed close so I don't get in trouble. I looked down and might have been exceeding 80 on a country road that is posted 45 on the way to her grandma's. I really need to watch myself.

Anyway I will get better pics this weekend hopefully last weekend was crazy. I got in a fender bender on Sunday and spent much of Monday babysitting and dealing with getting an estimate, fielding phone calls, making, statements, sending pics to insurance company, etc. I have come to the conclusion that having an accident no matter how minor or whose fault it is can be a pain in the ASS! Unfortunately this accident wasn't clear cut and dry until I sent the pictures of the scene to my insurance company.

I'm surprised it hast yet. I was really waiting on a comment something along the lines of well she likes pigs that explains why she married me, but no such comment came about. Maybe I should give you guys more credit!

I'm impressed and concerned! Are you guys getting soft?

Only when we have to look at your wife.

Thanks Justin I take that as a compliment from ummm well( what term is acceptable now?) Sexual orientation! The Hell with that's a compliment coming from a homo! Justin I'm rooting for you to get enough signatures to get your gay marriage bill on the ballot in 2012! I wish you and your life partner many years of happiness!

Now I feel much better about this thread.

You can get the factory Harley Emblem re-stenciled in pink/white/silver/"graphite or black" (I'd choose only 3, but anywhere from 2 to 4 colors) and add some pinstriping w/ whatever matches the emblem colors, I wouldn't do 4, I think 2 would be ideal for the striping. You could have the striping along the tank sides and fender tops. Just my instant thought. My bike is in the booth right now.

Edited by Khymera-B

Where are you having yours done? I didn't think of having the emblem restincled, that might be the ticket, because i don't want to do anything too over the top.

What does it cost to re stencil the emblem, and pinstrip?

Where are you having yours done? I didn't think of having the emblem restincled, that might be the ticket, because i don't want to do anything too over the top.

What does it cost to re stencil the emblem, and pinstrip?

Mine: http://www.ohioriders.net/showthread.php?t=84175

I'm not really sure about cost, I can get an estimate. My stencils are discounted and my labor is free, so I only buy paint and sanding discs. I won't be back out to the shop until maybe tomorrow and he can tell me about how much something like that may run, but it's gonna be HIS estimate, not necessarily what you may encounter exactly (+/-)

Another way to save some dough is to look into getting the emblem in decal form. I'm sure any graphics, sign, emblem, banner store/service can copy the image and replace the colors or even someone on here. If you're decent with photo editing you could make it all yourself and they'd print the graphics fairly cheap in comparison to custom paint. Find a digital copy of the emblem and match the emblem size (measure length) on the bike. Then you'll have a near factory replica decal in your colors. Technically this can be done with pinstriping also, measure the areas that need application, find digital pinstriping (or make) adjust width, length, color, and which sections, then stick on. Complete. 2 matching for tank, one for each fender...different lengths and widths.

Edited by Khymera-B