I might get blasted for this one... CCW owners.. Please comment.

Dubguy85

"Dumb Guy" Firearms quotes....

.”A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.”

~Sigmund Freud

Actually, this one is incorrect. From wiki:

This is not a statement that appears in any translation of any of Freud's works. It is a paraphrase of a statement from the essay "Guns, Murders, and the Constitution" (February 1990) by Don B. Kates, Jr. where Kates summarizes his views of passages in Dreams in Folklore (1958) by Freud and David E. Oppenheim, while disputing statements by Emmanuel Tanay in "Neurotic Attachment to Guns" in a 1976 edition of The Fifty Minute Hour: A Collection of True Psychoanalytic Tales (1955) by Robert Mitchell Lindner:

Dr. Tanay is perhaps unaware of — in any event, he does not cite — other passages more relevant to his argument. In these other passages Freud associates retarded sexual and emotional development not with gun ownership, but with fear and loathing of weapons. The probative importance that ought to be attached to the views of Freud is, of course, a matter of opinion. The point here is only that those views provide no support for the penis theory of gun ownership.

Due to misreading of this essay and its citations, this paraphrase of an opinion about Freud's ideas has been wrongly attributed to Freud himself, and specifically to his 10th Lecture "Symbolism in Dreams" in General Introduction to Psychoanalysis on some internet forum pages: alt.quotations, uk.politics.guns, talk.politics.guns, can.talk.guns , etc.

I do not know the validity of the others but I agree nonetheless.

A couple of my favorites:

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."-Thomas Jefferson, quoting Cesare Beccaria
“Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.”
"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who don't."
"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it

would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

"In England, if you commit a crime, the police don't have a gun and you don't have a gun. If you commit a crime, the police will say 'Stop, or I'll say stop again.'" - Robin Williams

And the winner is....

"I say 'sorry'. It is 1999, we have had enough as a nation. You are not allowed to own a gun and if you do own a gun, I think you should go to prison." — Rosie O'Donnell, Rosie O'Donnell Show, May 1999 (it was later found that she hired a personal ARMED body guard)

The video is reason #6,493,583 why Tom Selleck is the man.

Also having now read through the entire thread, we've not learned anything except some people have been in some shit, and were glad they had guns. Some were in some shit, and didn't need guns. Some people avoided the shit, and we all agree that a little black on black lesbian 69 is the shit.

My two cents:

When I was 18 I collapsed both of my lungs, one and then the other. A few weeks after I got out of the hospital, I was out seeing a movie with some friends. We were walking to our cars, and some guys started giving me shit. So I flipped them off, they circled around and tried to block my car in, but the spot in front of mine was open, so I flipped them off again, pulled through and drove over to the restaurant. They followed me over, and started circling the parking lot. One came in and threatened to kick our asses. But then they left when they realized how many were in my group. When I told my dad the story, I mentioned I was worried about being unarmed and still recovering from the surgery, he stopped me and said:

"You've got any number of things you can use as a weapon. From your hands and feet to your keys to the tire iron in your trunk." That stuck with me; that I'm never unarmed. And if I am, it means I can't reach something, and I have no arms, legs, teeth or a head. Dad also told me, I should never get into a fight, but if it happens hit first, hit hard and hit to win. In those situations, there's no reason to fight fair.

Second story:

I'm a bartender, and a customer asked me what I would do if someone got out of hand.

"Keep them from getting out of hand" was my response.

"But what if they freak out? And they come after you?"

"Then they get a liquor bottle to the head."

I've only had two fights almost start while I was bartending. I stopped both of them before they could happen because I was paying attention to what was going on. I've had one guy get in my face, and he wouldn't back down until I quietly asked him if he was willing to go to jail over a $2.00 beer. He walked out after that and I've never seen him since. Most of the time nothing happens, because I'm always watching and making sure everyone is having a good time.

I had one potentially bad situation, when there was only me and one customer, and he had that "look." 1000rrrider is right, some people just have a look. Whatever it was something bothered me about him. So I started talking to him as much as possible, maintained a lot of eye contact, and made sure my body language didn't say "please, murder me in a grotesque satanic ritual of some kind." He had a beer, and then left. I can't remember if he tipped or not.

I guess all I'm saying is this:

Being aware of what's going on around you is a big part of staying safe, whoever said they don't listen to anything when they go walking so they can hear what's going on around them is smart. Staying calm and confident helps quite a bit as well when you need to diffuse a situation.

But sometimes things just go wrong. In those situations, you have to act. If that means using a gun, then use the gun. But be prepared for the consequences, and more importantly be prepared to accept them.

To the OP, you're doing the right thing though, just thinking about why and when you might need a gun. You have to figure it out for yourself.

On another note:

Supposedly, Siam warriors had a perch on their armor for a cat. When they rushed an enemy they would fling the cat at an enemies face. Either the enemy had to swing their weapon at the cat, which left him vulnerable or he caught a face full of pissed off Siamese claws and fangs. Either way, they were distracted long enough for a Siam warrior to close the distance and then kill the distracted warrior.

Again:

Bodyguard-1.jpg
Edited by dorifto240
  • Upvote 1