metric cruiser owners sound off

Gixxus Christ!

Over the weekend I went riding with my dad and we brought our respective women with us. My girl hates riding on the back of my fzr so dad let me ride his 04 Harley dyna low rider. We had a great ride and my girlfriend really enjoyed the sissy bar and comfy seat. After we were done my dad suggested I hold on to it for a week or two because he never rides it. I already own 3 bikes, so my side of the garage is full. Long story short, her car is parked in the driveway and there's a nice shiny Harley in the stables now.

I think I may be a convert....I love rocking wheelies and carving corners on a crotch.rocket, but the more I ride that dyna, the more I like it. I don't think I could afford a Harley of my own but maybe this spring I'll get in the market for a metric cruiser...so sound off, who rides what and how much ass does it.kick?

I've had all sorts of bikes (sport included), and my Yamaha Raider is my favorite by far (and my wifes). It has a 1900cc/113 cubic inch that is a ton of fun to ride. Air cooled v-twin! And yes, it has a rear seat and passenger backrest, but they are quick release for when I do my 1 up riding.

The Yammie V Star line is nice with some big boys that are said to be some nice rides.

But there is something about riding a Harley that sets it apart imho.

I have helped several people find and buy some nice metric cruisers and am amazed at how different different bikes of the exact same makeup (brand, size, accessories) can be to ride. Reinforces how important it is to test ride them all. For instance I found my wife's V Star 650 Classic and its a great riding, operating bike. I helped her friend trying to find one and could not find one to match how good a quality feeling ride my wife's bike is. Ended up finding her a 750 Honda that felt right. conversely when looking for a bike for the wife most of the Hondas felt like pos's.....go figure...lol.

Good luck!

I've had my Stratoliner S for about a month now and I'm loving it. My wife would never ride with me on my other bikes and therefore this past weekend was the first time she rode with me. She loved it.

It has the same motor as the Raider mentioned above. A big 1900 air-cooled beast. It didn't even feel like the bike knew my wife was there. :D

The intangible "thing" that sets a Harley apart is all purely psychological. Because the tangible "things" that set it apart are cons, not pros. ;)

04 VTX 1300C, I love it. Especially with the equal length cobra drags on it. My latest delima has been changing the color of the bike/frame and spending big money on big saddle bags or a couple hundred on saddlebags I know nothing about?

Edited by Beegreenstrings

The Harley does have something about it that I can't quite put my finger on. I've seen a couple of those Honda vtx bikes and I love the way they look, probably make a lot more power per cube than the Harley too. I'm not too sweet on the raider, I don't really care for the swoopy chopper look, but having 1900 cc of power has got to be nice. I also have to figure out where to put another bike. I guess I'd have to sell the seca and the Honda, but I'm in the process of building up the motor on the Honda...hate to sell it after all the time and money I have in it.

I love my Meanstreak, but it is a little under powered compared to the new cruisers on the market. That being said, it has plenty of power for 2up and just riding in general. I have an '02 which is 1500cc the '04+ have 1600cc. I just looked at the Special Edition Meanstreak on Craigslist for $5000. he already had aftermarket pipes and a power commander on it. The only thing left would be an intake. For 2up riding I would look into a more comfortable seat and back rest.

Other bikes I have looked at:

Raider - you already said you weren't a fan of.

M109r - great looking bike with loads of power, very wide, if you aren't tall it will probably be too wide. Massive rear tire, from what I've heard it eats rear tires. It also has dual air cleaners, if you want to upgrade them it will cost $$$.

VTX1800 - Nice bike, tons of after market parts available. Loads of power, Very common, and I personally didn't like the feel of the bars.

If your looking for something with the fairing, saddlebags, radio, take a look at the Kawasaki Vaquero or the Harley Street glide.

Good luck.