What are most common mods that can be done to DRZ400SM???

OhioBob

Hi, What mods are the most common to be performed on the DRZ400SM? (i.e. 3 x 3, full exhaust system, big bore kit, etc.)

And what kind of performance boost will you get out of the mods?

I believe stock numbers for the DRZ400SM are like: 35hp & 28 torque?

How much more can I get out of the DRZ with mods? (I am hoping to get close to 50 hp & 40 + torque.) Is this doable without compromising the reliablity of the motor?

Yeah, I know. I was really set on a Husky 510 SMR, but can not find them any where for sale, not even at the dealer, especially since they replaced them with a 511 SMR now. So, then I decided that the Husky 610 SM was the next best thing, well, I have only been able to find one on CL, but over $6k for it. Just a little too much for what I am wanting to pay for a SM, since it will be my first SM. I have been reading and hearing lots of great things about the Suzuki DRZ400SM. Especially how great the prices are for used ones and all. How bullet proof it is and fun to ride, yeah it lacks power, but was just wondering how much performance gains I can expect from mods and such for it.

Thanks.

Yeah, I know. I was really set on a Husky 510 SMR, but can not find them any where for sale, not even at the dealer, especially since they replaced them with a 511 SMR now. So, then I decided that the Husky 610 SM was the next best thing, well, I have only been able to find one on CL, but over $6k for it. Just a little too much for what I am wanting to pay for a SM, since it will be my first SM. I have been reading and hearing lots of great things about the Suzuki DRZ400SM. Especially how great the prices are for used ones and all. How bullet proof it is and fun to ride, yeah it lacks power, but was just wondering how much performance gains I can expect from mods and such for it.

Thanks.

The guy i got my fcr carb from was parting out his DR650 for a husky 510smr(his SN on SMJ.com is DR650). Its not all its cut out to be...Full synthetic every 500 miles, 3 fuel pumps since summer(when the 1.9gal tank gets low, the fuel pump in the tank is exposed and burns out), valve check's often and the fuel injection is shit on the 2010's.You're getting track performance for the price of track maintenance.

How big are you? What is fun and what are you looking for? You might want to look into a DR650. i got mine dirt cheap and have spent a couple hunderd in mods.

I bought the DR for a daily commuter with the occasional light/medium off roading. I didn't buy a street legal dirt bike for speed, so im about low and mid torque.

If you are dead set on staying with the DRZ look into FCR carb. Ive got a power now, a power now plus with an adjustable leak jet on mine with an FMF shorty exhaust and x2 air boxes(one competly cut out with a light tac on the filter strictly for street and a box with a few holes drilled in the top and much stickier tac on that filter for off roading). I also took that mesh screen out between the airbox and the carb. boot.

The FCR( not built by me but by the DR650 guy on SMJ) bolted right up with the choke plunger on the carb itself so we didnt have to refit the OEM choke on the handlebars.

Either way its enough torque to slide my 6'2 275lb ass off the seat until 3rd.

http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/

This will give you an idea for whats out there....prices are high.

the DR650 is bulletproof, but not as fast compared to what all is out there. But you are trading that for reliability. The oversized valves with 725 kit would be the way to go. Forget cams if you want low end.

Edited by sturg

My idea of fun is definitely this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViwaepHyPxY & this too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g40XsxAxkD0&feature=related & maybe some of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XclcbhmnF0 & possibly this too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQFO4PXNtTo .

I am 6'2" & 220lb. I love the backing it in to corners. The occassional power wheelie out of corners, but more about getting thru the twisties faster than the sporty bikes.

I live 2 miles from work and will probably ride it to work and use it to cut loose on the weekends to in an attempt to forget about all the work stress.

I could care less about dirt, that is why they make dirt bikes exclusively for.

Thanks.

OhioBob

Edited by OhioBob

The occassional power wheelie out of corners, but more about getting thru the twisties faster than the sporty bikes.

There is something to be said for flickability on tight roads, but OOC why do you think a SM will go through corners faster than a sportbike?

Because it is lighter. I have seen the videos and videos don't lie or something like that.

Lighter sure. I've ridden with a few 'fast guys' that have had both sporbikes and SMs. In the hands of equal riders I've not noticed SMs going through the corners any quicker. OOC, to which videos are you referring?

It just looks like crazy wild fun that I need. My job is crazy stressful, especially with a stupid boss. (IT field)

I hear you on that. My work is commercial software implementation. Lots of stress involved. Riding twisty backroads brings much needed relief.

There's an 09 SMR510 on Craigslist in Akron/Canton right now.

I just did a 500 miles 'tour' on mine this weekend. Left Cleveburg went to McConnelsville for the weekend and back. I should change the oil, but it's still golden in color. Never skipped a beat and was a BLAST down there.

On the Husky SMR510's, if you track/race it, 500 miles is the oil change (30 minutes) and 1000 miles is the valve checks (20 minutes). If you street it, you can extend those intervals, says so right in the manual.

From reading up on the Husky 450/510's, lot's of mis information out there. Plenty of bikes with 10k miles plus with out tearing into the motor.

My fuel injection is pretty good, does need some tweaking. All is takes is a $200 JD Jetting fuel injection tuner (or a $350 PC5). Sure, carbs are easier to work on. The fuel pump on mine has never had an issue. You do need to remove it and safety wire it in it's housing. It slips up, that's when it burns up. I've coasted into a gas station a few times. I get 70~80 miles before empty hammering it and 85~90 if I'm easy. I have a 3 gallon IMS for it, I just need to play with it to get a good seal on the fuel pump.

I looked at the DRZ-SM, while fun, just didn't have the motor and feel that I was looking for. I wanted something different with a bit of grunt that I didn't have to throw money at to get where I wanted it (motor/suspension wise). I've added sliders and hand guards to mine so far and the jet kit will come over the winter. That's it. It has plenty of performance for me. I've already been pulled over on it.

Crap!!! Now, I have to jump on that 510. And yes, I will be getting a bigger tank for it too. Thanks, wacky, you just helped me spend my fun money for the next five years. LOL.

Edited by OhioBob

I'm 6' 235~240 out of the shower. So, I'd say yes. It has no issues with my fat ass on it. Suspension is even good. I can get proper sag with the stock spring out back. Front is non adjustable, but works good. No need to change it.

Heck yeah, mini-club!

You'll be happy with it. I am completely. The maintanence isn't anything tough and like any other Italian bike, it has it's little issues, that are easily fixable. The MV Agusta owned/designed/made bikes aren't all that bad (up to 2010).

If I was to do it again, I'd buy another Husky. Actually, I'm looking for a newer TE610 to build into a great dual sporter.

Found your 50hp answer :D

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?121102-DR-Z400-50hp-Engine-Kit-SALE

DR-Z400 50hp Engine Kit SALE

We are currently offering our most popular DR-Z400 motor kit at a great deal. This kit is good to take your stock DR-Z from 35hp to 50hp. It includes the following:

-94mm Big Bore kit

-39mm FCR Carb (jetted, Accelerator pump mod)

-MRD/SSW Full Exhaust

-Hot Cams Stage I Cams

SALE price for Parts ONLY $1699.95* shipped to lower 48

Price if you send us the motor $1899.95* shipped back to lower 48

For any question please call us. 877-676-3742

*price does not include any valve train components needed or additional parts.

Edited by sturg