Triple trees

20thGix

So it was a slow day at work so i decided to try my hand at designing a top triple tree for the bike. Here are a few views i took of it. Its kinda hard to see all the details in still pics so i added colors to help. The webbing in the middle is .250 inch. They are 1.75" thick in the middle tapering down to 1.50" where the forks go in. The spread for the fork tubes is not correct since i kinda just winged it without actual dimensions. So my question is do you think they will be strong enough to actually use or do any of you have any input to better the design. Also the material would be 6061 T6 Alum.

Here is an ISO view

picture.php?albumid=1374&pictureid=14687

And a left side:

picture.php?albumid=1374&pictureid=14688

A top view:

picture.php?albumid=1374&pictureid=14686

And the front:

picture.php?albumid=1374&pictureid=14689

Run Simulation in either Solidworks or AutoCAD, whichever you used to design this piece, that'll tell you what you need to know.

I'm using NX7.5 but we do not have the liscense for that option. Also i cant use it in Solidworks either for the same reason. Cheap bastards!:D

Thanks for the ideas. Tomorow will be another slow day so i will try a few ideas. Im trying to keep any radius no smaller than 1/8 inch for ease of machining. Maybe i could go with more of an "X" pattern instead of the unequal grid thing i got goind on.

Since you cant do FEA -- check out some high end Ducati after market designs for ideas. Think trianges in your bracing. Overkill is the way to go on that part.

- You do free lance CAD work?

Edited by mello dude

Most 1/4" cutters that you can get any speed and rigidity out of only have 3/4" of flute. I don't know how thick your part is but you may want to increase your minimum radii to a standard cutter with a flute length long enough to cut through the part if that is your intention.

Most 1/4" cutters that you can get any speed and rigidity out of only have 3/4" of flute. I don't know how thick your part is but you may want to increase your minimum radii to a standard cutter with a flute length long enough to cut through the part if that is your intention.

Yes i will be cutting thru but with the right tool paths, tool modifications and last but not least...mack daddy machining skills i can get-r-done :rolleyes:. Seriously though i will open them up enough to let the cutter cut the radius instead of just slamming into the corner. Or i could just leave the chatter...errr....uhh.....i mean knurl in the corners cuz i ment to do that.

Also since i cant do the analysis would somebody be willing to do it if i sent you the model?

id like to pick your brain about doing an upper clamp for my Street Glide.

i hate the stock clamp cause well, it doesnt really clamp.. if you or anyone on here would be willing to take the task on let me know.

Just out of curiosity, if it doesn't really clamp currently and is functioning what issue will be solved by redesigning one that clamps? I don’t doubt you expect to see an improvement but what are you expecting to gain?

Yes i will be cutting thru but with the right tool paths, tool modifications and last but not least...mack daddy machining skills i can get-r-done :rolleyes:. Seriously though i will open them up enough to let the cutter cut the radius instead of just slamming into the corner. Or i could just leave the chatter...errr....uhh.....i mean knurl in the corners cuz i ment to do that.

Also since i cant do the analysis would somebody be willing to do it if i sent you the model?

If you want to send me the model, I can try and run FEA on it in Solidworks if you can get me the model. I don't know what export options you have but I may be able to do it if it is saved out as a .step file. You will just want to make sure that it is exporting the solid model and not just the external faces of the part.

id like to pick your brain about doing an upper clamp for my Street Glide.

i hate the stock clamp cause well, it doesnt really clamp.. if you or anyone on here would be willing to take the task on let me know.

If you sketch something up i might be able to come up with something. As long as your not in a hurry. As i have to do this in my free time or when its slow at work.

So i went out last night and took a look at the stock top clamp. It seems that the bottom clamp really takes most of the loads. With out taking the top clamp off it looks as its really only has a 1/8 in.-ish wall and top surface. For some reason i thought it woudl be solid. Now it is thicker under the steering stem nut and where the ignition switch mounts.

Today i did try to come up with more of an "X" pattern instead of horizontal and vertical pattern. I was having trouble having it come out looking ok without having a small radius in some of the corners. I think this weekend i will take my top clamp off and take it to work and get some exact numbers on the CMM. So i can get closer to a final design.

jgetz i do like the look of yours. Also i looked up some of the aftermarket Ducati clamps and holy hell they want some serious scratch for them!

If you want to send me the model, I can try and run FEA on it in Solidworks if you can get me the model. I don't know what export options you have but I may be able to do it if it is saved out as a .step file. You will just want to make sure that it is exporting the solid model and not just the external faces of the part.

Yeah i can get it to you in .step, .prt, .sldprt, .iges or whatever works best for you. Just PM me you email.

6061 is not a good grade of aluminum to cnc that clamp with. With a tripple you need maximum rigidity and you are defeating the purpose

I have seen other aftermaket clamps made with 6061 like SpeedyMoto and others. Also it will be in the T6 condition. I could possibly use Mic6 or 7075. Both of which would help with rigidity. I am still im trying to find a good balance between form and function.

Are your former Attack bikes as in Attack Performance? Do you know what material there triples are made out of?

Edited by 20thGix

• 1 month later...

So i came up with a new design and went over it with one of the engi-nerds at work. So here's what i came up with and a few pics in process.

picture.php?albumid=1374&pictureid=14893

picture.php?albumid=1374&pictureid=14894

I still need to do a couple more things to it but here it is almost complete.

picture.php?albumid=1374&pictureid=14895