Deer crash map??

Scruit

Anyone know of a map of the locations of deer crashes in Ohio?

Failing that, I was going to send an email to the Ohio Department of Public safety inquiring about getting a download of accident report data for animal-involved crashes (gps co-ordinates, etc). If they can provide that then I hope to provide a map showing those lcoations to help identify the most dangerous roads. I can import that data into a mysql database and display the results on a google map.

• Upvote 1

Ohio transportation publishes a nice internet county by county map of motorcycle and car crashes, but I don't remember if it clearly indicates which ones were the deer strikes. I'll try to find it again, it's near impossible to locate on the internet.

edit: this is one of the links, there's another somewhere. The word deer does not appear anywhere.

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/departments/nrd-30/ncsa/STSI/39_OH/2008/39_OH_2008.htm

Here's one I've not seen before. A crash report generator:

https://ext.dps.state.oh.us/crashreports/crashreports.aspx

ok, try this. search www.dot.state.oh.us for the word deer.

I found this 2009 map, hot spots in each district, and down at the bottom the exact location. (opens pdf)

There is also a hot spot map for Eastern counties, but it requires a user/password to open. No got that...

Edited by ReconRat

The problem with such a map would be it would not necessarily show the roads where you're most likely to encounter deer, only where more had been hit. The amount of traffic is going to skew that, severely.

For instance, I recall a local article saying that per mile, SR661 which is where I live had more deer hits than any other road in Ohio...this was several years ago. Well, it's a state route so and rural through farms and woods, that makes sense. But, working for the local township and living here I can tell you that the secondary roads around Licking County have more deer on them, so you could map it and see that 661 is where a lot get hit, but it actually might be a safer road to travel than a county highway in the same area.

Another problem is, you're only going to get partial data. I hit a deer the other night, no one but my insurance company knows where I hit that deer because I did not file an accident report. I've only needed to file 2 for the eight deer I've hit in my life.

I think its a good idea to map out where deer related accidents are most abundant, but in the same breath its kind of like trying to predict where lightning will strike -- sure, we all know "about" where the lightening's activity would be......in/around the storm front of course......but the storm pattern moves, same as the deer - they can/do have relatively huge territories and are constantly moving; so even if you have some areas mapped that could be populated with potential hazard, its a guessing game as to where they would be at various times of day.......I understand what you're trying to do with this, but without their migratory habits tracked your almost crapshooting to whether theres danger present or not - I've heard about deer being hit in town before, even if its rare....it does happen. So I typically just watch for signs to tip me off where their traffic crosses ours. Just my 2c

Seems to me that lightning strikes behind a storm or between two storms more often than anywhere else.

I'm going to take a rough guess that deer strikes occur near road signs that warn of deer crossings.:eek:

Maybe we need a map of where all those deer crossing signs are posted.

Seems to me that lightning strikes behind a storm or between two storms more often than anywhere else.

I'm going to take a rough guess that deer strikes occur near road signs that warn of deer crossings.:eek:

Maybe we need a map of where all those deer crossing signs are posted.

I see many deer carcasses on road with no signs. :confused:

There are no signs on my street, yet it is common for deer to cross the road right by my house. The little buggers walk right down my driveway.

My point exactly, just never know when they'll jump from nowhere and trash your day

The worst deer collision I ever had, totalled my car and caused me knee and chest injuries, was at 670 and Hamilton Road in Columbus, right by the airport. It was at 1pm, the deer came running off the side of the road by an embankment, jumped over a car on the right hand lane, and landed right in front of mine.

Not an area I imagine anyone would be hypervigilant traveling, yet it's actually full of deer because of the bean fields near the airport.

Would be nice if the state set up a website where people could report minor collisions and near-collisions.

Now that the mornings are much darker I'm coming in to work a little later so I'm setting off while it's light. I can mitigate the higher deer activity during the dawn *if I can see them*, but if I set off and it's still pitch black then I won't see the deer until it's too late.

Edited by Scruit

dont outride your headlight ;)

My headlight is long enough but not wide enough. Deer don't tend to stand in the middle of the road waiting for you... Can't have my hi-beams on all the time and my lo-beams don't cover the trees either side of the ditch well enough. :mad:

dont outride your headlight ;)

If it's dark out, my bike's highbeams are ALWAYS lit -- better visibility for me and any other blind anus that's unaware of my existence :D

Can't have my hi-beams on all the time and my lo-beams don't cover the trees either side of the ditch well enough. :mad:

Why can't you run highbeams all the time? I do it intentionally, if someone coming the other way flashes theirs at me - I usually just wave to thank them for seeing me ;)

Maybe look into some projector driving lamps that you could position in a way that illuminates a wider path?? idk, just trying to help

I'm not gonna run hi-beams into an oncoming car on a 2-lane road at night.

I just ordered a set of crash cars for my bike and I'm going to look into adding projector lights to the crash bars to provide additional lighting to the sides.

If it's dark out, my bike's highbeams are ALWAYS lit -- better visibility for me and any other blind anus that's unaware of my existence :D

Why can't you run highbeams all the time? I do it intentionally, if someone coming the other way flashes theirs at me - I usually just wave to thank them for seeing me ;)

Maybe look into some projector driving lamps that you could position in a way that illuminates a wider path?? idk, just trying to help

Because you could, even temporarily, blind, or disorient oncoming traffic and cause them to cross the centerline. Best to flip it to low's with oncoming traffic. I had a buddy in high school that would intentionally cross the centerline and play chicken with someone who refused to turn their hi beams down. He ran more than one vehicle off the road that way.

Because you could, even temporarily, blind, or disorient oncoming traffic and cause them to cross the centerline. Best to flip it to low's with oncoming traffic.

Don't forget that people faced with hi-beams will often respond with hi-beams. Usually a quick reminder flash or two, followed by a "If I go down I'm taking you with me" retina-burning war.

Don't you hate it when you flash at someone's hi-beams, only to have the respond by ACTUALLY turning on their hi-beams for a second. "Then adjust your lo-beams, y'schmuck!"

Don't forget that people faced with hi-beams will often respond with hi-beams. Usually a quick reminder flash or two, followed by a "If I go down I'm taking you with me" retina-burning war.

Don't you hate it when you flash at someone's hi-beams, only to have the respond by ACTUALLY turning on their hi-beams for a second. "Then adjust your lo-beams, y'schmuck!"

Not to mention that the Vstrom head lights are considerably better than most. I've seen many bikes where the high beam would be barely noticed by oncoming traffic. But the Vstrom lights are the same twin head lights used in most autos. Annoys and distracts other drivers too much.

Craig