Virago Motor Swap

jester3681

Well, guys, kind of at another turning point in the Virago project. I am considering swapping a larger motor into the Virago. All Gen 1 and Gen 2 motors are more or less interchangable, with very minor issues (using mount from bike instead of mount from motor), and the early Gen 2 stuff is compatable to the point that you can use the Gen 1 electrics if you swap them in - stock harness, etc.

That being said, I have a 750cc engine in there now I had planned on freshening. Stock 50hp, single carb set up should add 1 or 2 more. I'm considering going to a 1000cc engine, available in early Gen 2 (84-85 only) and freshening it. Stock 68hp, single carb set up should make it 70 even. There are also people out there using 1000cc guts with 750 heads machined for bigger valves) and hot cams making near 100hp. Not saying I'd want to do that, but if I did, I'd already have the parts to do it. Apparantly the 750 heads have a higher compression ration when used with the 1000 engine (~8:1 vs 10:1).

Here's my though process:

PROS: There's no replacement for displacement. Even bone stock, I'm adding ~20hp with no change in weight or size. Also in 84 the went to a different starter design. 81-83 Viragos had starter issues.. still do, I guess. Just a poor design. Also, if I do come into some lottery money and decide to sink a grand or more into the motor in machining and cams, I have the capacity to build a pretty hot motor. Plus the motor looks a little more racey.

CONS: I already have the 750cc motor, and it bolts in right now. Parts for the 750 are slightly less expensive (15%ish).

Talk me through this one... :confused:

Are you keeping it or plan to sell? If its gonna live with you, go big and build what you want - if its gonna sell soon, save your time and cash by keeping it a 750? Either way, kudo's to you for building a bike -- Its guys like you that keep the old cruisers cruisin'!!