1911 info

Steve Butters

im reading excellent reviews about the defender....i might just pick one up,and put a couple hundred rounds through it and see how it functions, then if i decide i want to carry it daily i may just leave the HK on the nightstand or make it my safe queen....its a beautiful gun and ive got a lot of money in it and a lot of work done to make it just how i want it...i dont think i could sell it for how much its worth to me

i really need to get to the range and put a couple hundred rounds through the HK and see if i cant just work on it

I might pick up a cheap 1911 with no bells and whistles and make it sort of a project, instead of buying the defender...im not sure lol...too many decisions...im to the point now where i may just step back and not buy anything because i cant make a decision

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I carry a Kimber Pro crimson carry on a regular basis. especially in colder weather. (easier to conceal) Kimber does have some issues with their 3 and 4 inch models. The video below explains some of that. As far as the thumb safety being a problem, the majority of 1911 fanatics will tell you the proper shooting technique is a "thumbs forward" grip in which your right thumb rides on top of the safety. That makes your natural shooting grip a safety off grip. It just happens automatically. I love 1911's..... I may even have a few..... lol........ but if you dont shoot shoot one recreationally, I dont recommend you carry one. If the only time you pick up a gun is for self defense..... I think a DAO gun is your best bet. Glock, Smith & Wesson and Springfield all make some pretty reliable DAO plastic guns that take a lot of abuse, and neglect and keep on firing. They're about half the price also. I shoot several hundred rounds through a 1911 every week all year long so its my natural carry gun. Most gun buyers put a couple hundred rounds through the gun when they buy it then it only gets touched when they "feel the need to carry" You dont create muscle memory that way and your going to be fumbling for the safety...... My point is, before you shell out the green for a 1911........ give some serious thought as to what type of gun owner you will be......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9rp3sQnnbM

I carry a Kimber Pro crimson carry on a regular basis. especially in colder weather. (easier to conceal) Kimber does have some issues with their 3 and 4 inch models. The video below explains some of that. As far as the thumb safety being a problem, the majority of 1911 fanatics will tell you the proper shooting technique is a "thumbs forward" grip in which your right thumb rides on top of the safety. That makes your natural shooting grip a safety off grip. It just happens automatically. I love 1911's..... I may even have a few..... lol........ but if you dont shoot shoot one recreationally, I dont recommend you carry one. If the only time you pick up a gun is for self defense..... I think a DAO gun is your best bet. Glock, Smith & Wesson and Springfield all make some pretty reliable DAO plastic guns that take a lot of abuse, and neglect and keep on firing. They're about half the price also. I shoot several hundred rounds through a 1911 every week all year long so its my natural carry gun. Most gun buyers put a couple hundred rounds through the gun when they buy it then it only gets touched when they "feel the need to carry" You dont create muscle memory that way and your going to be fumbling for the safety...... My point is, before you shell out the green for a 1911........ give some serious thought as to what type of gun owner you will be......

i think this is actually really good advice. i cant afford to shoot as often as i would like, so i only get to shoot a couple hundred rounds every couple months or so.

i think i may hold off for a little while...im going to head to the range today and see if i cant work on shooting this da/sa hk a little bit..ill post up later whether or not im still disappointed in it