1911 info

Steve Butters

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well to answer some of your questions:

Many people feel that a .45 is much more effective than a 9mm, especially a compact one.

If the gun is pulling your pants down, then you have the wrong pants and/or wrong belt.

Sure, no safety on a defensive gun. Glocks have a lot more accidental discharges than a 1911. IF YOU PRACTICE, there is no delay swiping off the safety. Mine comes off as the gun clears the holster, automatically. A 1911 with it's single action trigger, gives you a consistent trigger action from first shot to follow up shots, something that does not happen with a traditional SA/DA gun. Safety is provided on a SA/DA gun by having a long, stiff trigger pull for the first shot. A 1911 has the same crisp action for all shots.

Of course there are many fine guns out there and almost as many opinions as to which is preferred. YMMV.

Ken

You can't practice the actual scenario of being attacked. You can, but you can't. No practice is going to compare to the scenario when your adrenaline is running. Or at least most people don't put themselves in a realistic scenario when practicing. (Adrenaline and Panic levels.)

I know I don't have the right belt to carry .45, but I'm never going to be carrying a .45, I was more or less saying my pants would fall off just to say there is no need in carrying a .45 with the extra weight that comes along with it IMO.

9mm +P ammunition has more than enough power to take out an attacker.

With the trigger pull aspect, do you think that's going to be a big deal in a CCW situation? All you need to be able to do is hit paper from 7ft away, which I think most people that shoot regularly could pick up a gun and hit paper from 25ft away no problem. If you're pulling your gun on someone 25ft away you better think twice about pulling that trigger.

Edited by Radio Flyer

Glock pistols incorporates the "Safe Action" system, which features three safeties and is a similar to a constant double action only system.

Yes. It uses a Striker system. Sniper knows the deal.

The only way to make a Glock go bang is by pulling the trigger. There is no accidental discharge with a Glock. You either pull the trigger and it goes off or you don't pull the trigger and it doesn't go off.

No it's not a true DA, DAO, or SA. Yes it does operate in a firing function more like a DA gun where as the only way to make it go bang is pulling the trigger.

Edited by Radio Flyer

Yes. It uses a Striker system. Sniper knows the deal.

The only way to make a Glock go bang is by pulling the trigger. There is no accidental discharge with a Glock. You either pull the trigger and it goes off or you don't pull the trigger and it doesn't go off.

No it's not a true DA, DAO, or SA. Yes it does operate in a firing function more like a DA gun where as the only way to make it go bang is pulling the trigger.

Correct, Sir. ;)

My Glock accidentally fires every time I apply about 4.5 lbs of pressure to the trigger. I don't see the 1911 safety as an impediment, but I do prefer CHL guns that don't have one. I find the "flip-down" safety mechanism on the 1911 much easier to use quickly than the "flip-up" mechanism on most DA/SA.... Beretta, PPK, etc... If I could have only one handgun, it wouldn't necessarily have to be a 1911. But any collection is incomplete without at least one. I guess I better go get one now.

9mm +P ammunition has more than enough power to take out an attacker.

There is NO handgun round which reliably has "more than enough power" to take out an attacker. All handgun rounds are marginal. There are plenty of real life reports of 2-4-8 good shots failing to immediately stop a bad guy. The only sure way to immediately stop an attacker is with a CNS hit (central nervous system, e.g. brain or spinal cord). Chances of such a hit while you are under attack is fairly small.

Now as for "accidental discharge", there are many instances where guns have gone off while being reholstered. In some cases, it was a poor holster that interfered with the trigger. In other cases a shirt or jacket tail. Or sometimes it is just some klutz that had his finger in the wrong place. :eek: But there are numerous examples, especially of Glocks, discharging while being holstered. There is virtually zero chance of that happening with a 1911 with the thumb safety engaged.

Do I have to have a thumb safety? No, my other carry guns (Sigs and revolvers) do not. But those guns have a longer trigger pull than a Glock.

Ken

Not being LEO, my holstering is done once per day.... before I shove the holster down my pants. It is done purposefully and consciously. I really can't imagine a scenario in which I carelessly holster my weapon. Generally, I don't draw and clear a room before entering. Again... not a hater... 1911s are good guns.

Why not just carry a sub compact 9 and use the .45 as the range toy/ SHTF pistol? Only holster I'd have sitting around for a .45 is one for open carry. I don't see the point in carrying around something that big. I know it'd pull my pants off my butt.

And I'm sorry, but who wants a safety on your CCW? I'm assuming if I need to pull out my gun I don't have any extra time to spare turning off my safety. I want to pull my gun out and only have to worry about pulling the trigger and that's it. You don't know what you're going to do in a high stress situation, and I'm sure most of us here haven't been put in a situation where we really needed to draw on someone, so we don't know how we'll react. It at least won't be second nature.

my current gun is a sub compact .40 (its made in a 9 and is the same size)

and the 3" 1911 is smaller than my sub compact (thinner) and weighs exactly the same amount...so carrying it would be easier than my subcompact

about the safety - im not sure...mine now doesnt have one, so i would have to get used to it for sure

now im thinking i might just add a 1911 to the collection and keep the HK...i really just have a hard time with the thought of selling the HK lol

now my dilemma is 3" or 5"....i dont get to the range much, and the 3" would be easier to carry...but i have my HK i could use for carry, so a 5" makes sense

then if i decide 5" i have to decide if i want entry level RIA or start off with something nicer, etc

guess ill go fondle them some more and make a decision lol....im really liking the colt defender still

now my dilemma is 3" or 5"....i dont get to the range much, and the 3" would be easier to carry...

You can compromise with a 4 or 4.25 inch barrel :D

Actually the shorter commander length grip is the biggest thing that makes a 1911 easier to carry and conceal. Barrel length is less of an issue.

You also lose about 50 fps velocity per inch as you shorten the barrel. A .45 isn't a speed demon to start with.

Ken

You can compromise with a 4 or 4.25 inch barrel :D

Actually the shorter commander length grip is the biggest thing that makes a 1911 easier to carry and conceal. Barrel length is less of an issue.

You also lose about 50 fps velocity per inch as you shorten the barrel. A .45 isn't a speed demon to start with.

Ken

the wight difference between the aluminum 3" and the metal 4/5" is what im thinking about mainly

now im thinking i might just add a 1911 to the collection and keep the HK...i really just have a hard time with the thought of selling the HK lol

now my dilemma is 3" or 5"....i dont get to the range much, and the 3" would be easier to carry...but i have my HK i could use for carry, so a 5" makes sense

then if i decide 5" i have to decide if i want entry level RIA or start off with something nicer, etc

guess ill go fondle them some more and make a decision lol....im really liking the colt defender still

Good idea. I'd add the 1911 to the collection, just not for the sole purpose of it being your one and only carry gun.