Vulcan_Rider

Are you for or against SB 5 / Issue 2  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Are you for or against SB 5 / Issue 2

• Public worker for SB 5 / Issue 2
    • Non public worker for SB 5 / Issue 2
    • Public worker against SB 5 / Issue 2
    • Non public worker against SB 5 / Issue 2

Speaking of union rules, I once got yelled at for moving a bookshelf to get to the outlet and cat5 jack. Apparently that's a union protected task, and it was a huge deal that I didn't contact the responsible department and have them do it. It would've had to of been scheduled and at least for a day or two out. All I needed to do was plug in a computer. LOL. Obviously not all unions are created equal. I just thought this was a funny story to share.

My grandpa worked on rockets and missiles at North American Aviation/ Rockwell and my dad was just talking to me the other day about it. This was back in the 50s/60/70s time frame. Dad was telling me grandpa had to make a repair in a rocket. There was a plate on the side held on my four screws. He had to call and have a union guy come down with a screw driver and take the panel off. The guy stood there for four hours while grandpa repaired the wiring underneath the panel. My grandpa was a freaking rocket scientist but couldn't be trusted with four screws because the union got in the way.

I'm not saying anything about the bill, just a union story...

Edited by chevysoldier

My grandpa worked on rockets and missiles at North American Aviation/ Rockwell and my dad was just talking to me the other day about it. This was back in the 50s/60/70s time frame. Dad was telling me grandpa had to make a repair in a rocket. There was a plate on the side held on my four screws. He had to call and have a union guy come down with a screw driver and take the panel off. The guy stood there for four hours while grandpa repaired the wiring underneath the panel. My grandpa was a freaking rocket scientist but couldn't be trusted with four screws because the union got in the way.

I'm not saying anything about the bill, just a union story...

If your Grandpa was a rocket scientists wtf happened to you!?!?

• Upvote 1

I voted as a "non public worker," but I do work part-time for the county.

In January, that will become my only job.

I don't know how our compensation is determined. I assume it is through some sort of collective bargaining with the county/state. Regardless, I am sick of fat, lazy police officers getting raises while young, competent, and in-shape officers are laid off first, simply because they were hired last.

Simply "not getting fired" isn't a reason to get a raise. In my mind, that's what unions promote. Performance-based pay raises are the norm in every other job market. Why not in the public sector.

Teachers are the only occupation where I have a hard time, because i have yet to hear of a really GOOD way to evaluate their performance.

Right, and poeple in unions think office workers, "sit in their offices staring at the walls." :nono: Without all that "wall staring" there would be no jobs for the union to squabble about.

the difference is that it's MUCH more likely, and a hell of a lot easier to FIRE the wanker sitting in his office staring at the walls than it is to fire the lazy guy on the floor, who the union will defend up and down until he has 10 flagrant violations.

Then they'll negotiate an early retirement for him.