Anti-Fat Towns

fusion

Maybe a snack and fast food tax. Bump the taxes on candy, twinkies, McDs as a luxury type tax. Sure I hate more taxes as much as anyone, but it forces people to pay more for eating unhealthy. Make the extra tax low enough that it doesn't affect the occasional consumer much but would definitely have an impact on those that partake in them regularly.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I went to college, I was 175lbs,, In college, I jumped up to 245lbs due to all the greasy foods, drinking, smoking and lack of exercise... The summer before senior year of college I got sick of all the girls telling me I was like their big brother when I tried asking them on a date so I dropped 65lbs in one summer.. Ever since then, Ive been working out and Im in better shape now and stronger then I have ever been.

Maybe a snack and fast food tax. Bump the taxes on candy, twinkies, McDs as a luxury type tax. Sure I hate more taxes as much as anyone, but it forces people to pay more for eating unhealthy. Make the extra tax low enough that it doesn't affect the occasional consumer much but would definitely have an impact on those that partake in them regularly.

That's actually a good idea. I'd vote for it.

When I went to college, I was 175lbs,, In college, I jumped up to 245lbs due to all the greasy foods, drinking, smoking and lack of exercise... The summer before senior year of college I got sick of all the girls telling me I was like their big brother when I tried asking them on a date so I dropped 65lbs in one summer.. Ever since then, Ive been working out and Im in better shape now and stronger then I have ever been.

Getting some 'tang is a pretty good motivator to do just about anything. That's why I went from 200lbs to 140lbs in 4 months back when I was in high school. Same as Flounder. And I've never myself get "like that" again.

The only problem with the situation we've got here is that "Fat Chicks Need Love too". So as long as everyone lowers their standards...this will continue.

Support the "luxury tax" on the fatty foods. Bring a whole new meaning to people putting their money where their mouth is.

Getting some 'tang is a pretty good motivator to do just about anything. That's why I went from 200lbs to 140lbs in 4 months back when I was in high school. Same as Flounder. And I've never myself get "like that" again.

The only problem with the situation we've got here is that "Fat Chicks Need Love too". So as long as everyone lowers their standards...this will continue.

Support the "luxury tax" on the fatty foods. Bring a whole new meaning to people putting their money where their mouth is.

I went from 270lb in 2000 down to 163lbs by 2003, and it didn't help my self esteem any so now back up to 215. Trying to get back down to 170s for racing this year, but I am starting to think I won't be able to do it.

I went from 270lb in 2000 down to 163lbs by 2003, and it didn't help my self esteem any so now back up to 215. Trying to get back down to 170s for racing this year, but I am starting to think I won't be able to do it.

How could that NOT be a self-esteem booster? That's a metric shit-tonne of weight - just knowing you're capable of having the discipline to do it should boost your self-esteem.

Now that I've dated the same girl for 7 years, being in it for the ladies isn't that big of a factor anymore. Though dropping weight for racing purposes is motivation - it's just not that good of one. I'm back up to 200lbs, but with a lot less flab, but still isn't good for the hp/weight ratio.

:hijack:

Not to Hijack the thread or anything, but all you racers out there -- what's the best way to get started? Buy an old sv and tape up the glass -- I don't even know what a good CHEAP starter bike would be? I've been reading up on Fasttrax about the Nelson Ledges track series, but I have ZERO road course experience. My roots lie with the straightliners (namely since it's a LOT cheaper than road racing), but I'd like to try it... ya know, attempt to branch out a little.

How could that NOT be a self-esteem booster? That's a metric shit-tonne of weight - just knowing you're capable of having the discipline to do it should boost your self-esteem.

Now that I've dated the same girl for 7 years, being in it for the ladies isn't that big of a factor anymore. Though dropping weight for racing purposes is motivation - it's just not that good of one. I'm back up to 200lbs, but with a lot less flab, but still isn't good for the hp/weight ratio.

:hijack:

Not to Hijack the thread or anything, but all you racers out there -- what's the best way to get started? Buy an old sv and tape up the glass -- I don't even know what a good CHEAP starter bike would be? I've been reading up on Fasttrax about the Nelson Ledges track series, but I have ZERO road course experience. My roots lie with the straightliners (namely since it's a LOT cheaper than road racing), but I'd like to try it... ya know, attempt to branch out a little.

I would say get an already prepped track bike 600 from the Wera board... you will get bored with the SV quick since you are used to dragging. Not to mention at 200lbs, you will probably have a bit more fun on the 600.

SV a good bike to start with, I want to get into it as well, I was thinking of picking up a older, 01-03 GSXR600 salvage. Rebuild it and throw some race plastics on it.

To both of you, either SV or 01-03 600 is fine (SV cheaper on tires and less crowded Grids) but I strongly suggest getting a race prepped bike since it will be cheaper already have some of the goodies you will need. A salvage bike you are looking at $2000 at least to setup for racing after you buy it. You can race with stock suspesion but your better off getting a base suspension for your weight so you don't eat tires on the stock stuff.

I would say get an already prepped track bike 600 from the Wera board... you will get bored with the SV quick since you are used to dragging. Not to mention at 200lbs, you will probably have a bit more fun on the 600.

No they will not get bored on SV. It is a very competitive class even somewhat in the Expert Ranks... They are very popular and very capable bikes. My times at Nelson on my 03 600 are 1:12 - 1:13 range, expert times on SVs are Doug Duane in 1:10 second range (he ran 1:06 on his superbike 1000) and mostly in the 1:13 range in the Expert class.

The Novice group has a wider variety, but plenty of riders since there are a lot of 14 yr olds getting started in racing with the 650s.

Power is fine till that person on the 650 passes several times ( I have come across guys on SVs at trackdays who were not easy to pass and been passed by some guys) on your new 600 or 1000.

And on the fat topic, when you have been over weight since 6-8 yrs old self esteem just doesn't exist, and for me will never come back simple plain truth.

Same boat. I was the chubby kid and finally I got sick of being made fun of and called names, so I lost weight, hit the gym and lifted, and it was like straight out of "Mike Jones - Back Then".

8th grade - 5'6" 200lbs

Entering Freshman year - 5'9" 140lbs

All I ate that entire summer was preztels in between running 6+ miles a day, EVERYDAY. I'd run before football practice, I'd run AT football practice, and I'd come home and run some more. Of course, then everyone thought I was anorexic.

I guess I'm the other extreme. I'm an arrogant prick now, with no sympathy for fat people, since I used to be one (and I'm creeping back up on it) :(