Amazing 4,000 gal custom built home aquarium

chevysoldier

very awesome

i was reading about a big home made one like this that had to be shut down....i wonder if it is this one, the article comments are from 2010.

the one i read about was creating so much humidity it was destroying the house around it and had to be removed....not sure if its this one though

i cant imagine all the work it would take to maintain one of those! its badass though

Video posted in first post. I love the opening at the bay window. That's cool.

very awesome

i was reading about a big home made one like this that had to be shut down....i wonder if it is this one, the article comments are from 2010.

the one i read about was creating so much humidity it was destroying the house around it and had to be removed....not sure if its this one though

i cant imagine all the work it would take to maintain one of those! its badass though

I can understand the humidity ruining the house. I couldn't find anything that said this was the one that had to be removed.

Wowz!

I'm breaking down my 65gal reef tank this weekend that I've had up for a year. Probably going to sell it off since I'm moving. I'll still have a 30gal cube I've been preping for a lionfish, and a little 3.4gal pico reef.

But the most awsome tank I've seen is one in a radisson in Berlin.. It's even got an elevator through the middle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Oeu5JTDRUc&feature=related

Edited by DrewsBrews

found a pic...guy goes by Mr. 4000 on google and it was a reef tank....he had to shut it down because it was destroying his house

2442_6.jpg

it was 4k gallons too, just like that guys....hopefully this guy has a better system in place for the humidity lol

its a different guy...his name is Jim Breedlove

Edited by Steve Butters

Wowz!

I'm breaking down my 65gal reef tank this weekend that I've had up for a year. Probably going to sell it off. I'll still have a 30gal cube I've been preping for a lionfish, and a little 3.4gal pico reef.

But the most awsome tank I've seen is one in a radisson in Berlin.. It's even got an elevator through the middle.

Yeah, I've seen that one. It'd be awesome to go in the elevator. Probably not practical for a home aquarium, but then again like jblosser hinted to, is the 4,000 one practical for most people? lol

found a pic...guy goes by Mr. 4000 on google and it was a reef tank....he had to shut it down because it was destroying his house

2442_6.jpg

it was 4k gallons too, just like that guys....hopefully this guy has a better system in place for the humidity lol

its a different guy...his name is Jim Breedlove

That's nuts.

Temperature difference is big regarding how much evaporation there is to deal with. A reef tank tends to be kept around 78deg. with my 65gal I'd haveto replace a gallon a day when the room temp was 70 durring winter. Through summer I kept the ac set to 76 and had to top off much less. But if you can keep the water at room temperature (or below) There should be much less evaporation and less humidity. The first tank looks like it's a freshwater and is likely near room temp.

Edited by DrewsBrews

good to know...i dont know the specifics, i just know in that 4k reef tank i posted a pic of thats the experience he had with it that eventually led to the tank having to be torn down...not sure what temp he kept everything, i know nothing about fish or aquariums lol i just so happened to be reading an article this morning about home built tanks and the humidity was mentioned