Transferring a CCW

gen3flygirl

Per this site http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USReciprocity.pdf we (Ohio) honor an Arizona permit so he shouldn't need to do anything unless he wants addresses to match. I'd wait til it expires then renew if it's close.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/ Full site

Edited by 216cityboy
link added

I moved 20 minutes away & wanted my address to match. $55 or whatever the duplicate price was.

Yeah but he's from out of state. I don't know if they would issue a permit based on the AZ one, I know there is reciprocity but my guess would be he'd have to go through Ohio's process...:dunno:

my guess would be he'd have to go through Ohio's process...:dunno:

Which would probably just be the usual background check fee since he's already licensed in a reciprocating state. I'm sure it would take longer though. I'm interested to know how it works out.

Edited by 216cityboy

AFAIK, there is no transferring of a license from one state to Ohio. He will have to go through the process just as if he is starting from scratch. 12 hour class including range time. Fill in the paperwork and wait for it to be approved. Heck, even for someone in Ohio, that's required for the second renewal.

Ken

AFAIK, there is no transferring of a license from one state to Ohio. He will have to go through the process just as if he is starting from scratch. 12 hour class including range time. Fill in the paperwork and wait for it to be approved. Heck, even for someone in Ohio, that's required for the second renewal.

Ken

Yes, he will have to take a class again unless his original training was recent and met Ohio guidelines (including the passing out of the book from the AG).

FYI, for the second renewal (aka 10 years later), it is a shooting re-qualification not another full on course.

FYI, for the second renewal (aka 10 years later), it is a shooting re-qualification not another full on course.

Thanks for the clarification.

We can hope that will be improved by the time 2014 come around and the first batch of people need their second renewal. It hasn't been a priority yet.

Ken

Thanks for the clarification.

We can hope that will be improved by the time 2014 come around and the first batch of people need their second renewal. It hasn't been a priority yet.

Ken

Honestly, it's not something that needs fixed. Fixing the lame definition of a loaded gun being a loaded mag, fix that, but there is nothing wrong with a requal after 10 years. Given the general demographic I've seen come through classes in the past 6 years, I would go so far as to require a requal at all renewals, not just the second.

Honestly, it's not something that needs fixed. Fixing the lame definition of a loaded gun being a loaded mag, fix that, but there is nothing wrong with a requal after 10 years. Given the general demographic I've seen come through classes in the past 6 years, I would go so far as to require a requal at all renewals, not just the second.

I would support that as well. I see no prob with having to demonstrate you can hit your target if you want to carry a gun. I actually wouldn't mind seeing the minimum standards increased a lil too. Any moron picking up a gun for the first time can hit the required minimum standards as they are now.

I would support that as well. I see no prob with having to demonstrate you can hit your target if you want to carry a gun. I actually wouldn't mind seeing the minimum standards increased a lil too. Any moron picking up a gun for the first time can hit the required minimum standards as they are now.

There are no actual standards, although most instructors use the NRA Basic pistol rocker qual, which has changed recently to be a little harder. Honestly, the OPOTA pistol qual course of fire is pretty easy and should be the standard.

If they're going to require a "qualification"' date=' then it should be something more than shooting .22lr into a bucket of sand. I would say an NRA certified instructor, but I don't know if that is a serious badge, or not. I've seen lots of folks with certifications of all kinds that had no business carrying them. (firearms being just a small portion)[/quote']

Without getting into the whole certified vs qualified debate, WTF was that post supposed to mean? That has to be the most disjointed post I've ever seen from you.

I have a WV CCW (and PA non-resident) and it looks like I'll have to go through the Ohio process for one here. I don't really have a problem with it since it's good to know the state's laws but the cost is actually higher up here and I thought WV was ridiculous since the total cost varied widely by county.

I do need some range time, though, since I haven't fired my SIG P6 in over two years.

Is there any political activity to have the "must inform" requirement removed?

And how does that fit into "shall not be infringed"? Oh, nothing stops someone from open carrying without any class or training or qualification. So just because I have it under my jacket I need to redemonstrate that I know which end of a gun the bullet comes out of? And if I can occasionally hit a paper plate with a .22, then I'm "qualified" to carry a .44 magnum?:confused:

Don't forget the cost and inconvenience of scheduling the requalification.

Ken

And how does that fit into "shall not be infringed"? Oh, nothing stops someone from open carrying without any class or training or qualification. So just because I have it under my jacket I need to redemonstrate that I know which end of a gun the bullet comes out of? And if I can occasionally hit a paper plate with a .22, then I'm "qualified" to carry a .44 magnum?:confused:

Don't forget the cost and inconvenience of scheduling the requalification.

Ken

You are not qualified. You are fired.