Gorell windows

ohiomike

Anyone had any dealings with these windows? Am looking at replacing our windows and one contractor has proposed installing these. Most I can find online about them gives me the impression they are pretty darned good.

Anyone??

thanks

I've never heard of that brand before. but usually if a contractor is pushing them they're probably getting them at a hell of a deal because the window is cheap. (not inexpensive cheap) unless he simply knows the guys and gets a good deal on them.

good windows should run you about $500-1000 each installed.

ask to see a sample of the window. the wider the spacer the more R value they have. really good windows have a rubber spacer and not a metal one which they will refer to them as warm edge spacers. low E coating on the window is your next major thing to look for. I think the first 3 most important things to look for is 1. low E coating 2. warm edge spacers 3. gas filled glass.

in my opinion stay away from wood windows. they're high maintenance.

this might help you in your quest,

http://www.re-nest.com/re-nest/green-architect/how-to-choose-a-good-window-green-architect-125965

Edited by serpentracer

I really like pella windows, but I've installed several brands including anderson, jeld-win, and others. I like the construction and ease of installation of the pella but if your not installing them go with any of the major brands. I've never heard of gorell windows, and I've worked at two different places that I ordered windows as part of my job, but we didn't carry all the brands.

What type of windows do you plan to install aluminium clad, vinyl, other?

I really like pella windows, but I've installed several brands including anderson, jeld-win, and others. I like the construction and ease of installation of the pella but if your not installing them go with any of the major brands. I've never heard of gorell windows, and I've worked at two different places that I ordered windows as part of my job, but we didn't carry all the brands.

I had to replace a failed insulated unit in a pella door before and let me just say I never want to do that again. you have to destroy the wood stops because they put nails every 1 1/2.:eek:

and the guy I was working for didn't want to put new stops back on so he put wood putty on them and to be honest, if I was the home owner I would have been pissed off.

Rosati did my windows last year. 13 windows installed for about $7500. 4 had to have tempered lower sashes because they were near the ground, and one had to be fully tempered because it was near a shower. All installed in one day.

Vinyl. Gorells have a 50 yr warranty. Window brands can be geographical, lots of non big name manufacturers out there anymore. I've done some online shcecking and these come highly recommended being rated higher than RBA's (Replacement By Anderson), or Pellas, or Polaris or Simonton's.

Was just looking for some feedback from someone familiar with them.

Honestly most issues you run into with newer replacement windows is improper installation. I would be more concerned with the installer and proper installation than the brand. Window brands are very regional at times. I sold windows in SW Indiana so I can't help too much with more local brands. Make sure they are properly insulated, flashed, and sealed and you should be fine.