Turbo questions...

Beegreenstrings

Info... I have a 1993 F150 Flareside X-cab. 2wd 302 roller. Auto

It's in the garage at the time. On jack stands. Bounced it around long enough to take the lowering kit off of it.

Anyway, I made a comment to my dad about pulling the (P.O.S.) autos that was put in these and putting in a 5sp. We found a donor vehicle and made some talk with the owners and made a deal to get all we need to do it.

But, dad likes to go and go and go. He made a comment about putting a turbo on it? I was like I know nothing about turbos. Then today he sends me a link with one that has twins on it... :wtf:

The kit he found has everything you need. From wiring to gauges to cooling lines and the intercooler. Kin dof pricey but I believe he is going to pay for it the way he is acting about it...

What does everyone know about twin turbos?

My understanding of turbos is limited to reading about Porsches, but wouldn't a twin-turbo setup be somewhat redundant on a motor with that much torque?

Again, in Porsche applications, it's usually one smaller turbo (spools sooner, at lower RPM, and provides low-end power) and one larger turbo to add top-end.

The truck should already have power down low, so you'd only be looking to add top-end, no?

Twin turbos in my mind is better than one single. It allows you to get the same power as a larger turbo but minimize the turbo lag. Two small turbos spool up a lot faster than one, also you can feed one to each bank of cylinders.

I've got the new ecoboost twin turbo v6 in my truck and the torque that is coming out of a 3.5l V6 is truly impressive, 420ft-lbs of torque. @ 2500rpm I don't think you would see even close to comparable number with a single turbo setup.

Twin turbos in my mind is better than one single. It allows you to get the same power as a larger turbo but minimize the turbo lag. Two small turbos spool up a lot faster than one, also you can feed one to each bank of cylinders.

I've got the new ecoboost twin turbo v6 in my truck and the torque that is coming out of a 3.5l V6 is truly impressive, 420ft-lbs of torque. @ 2500rpm I don't think you would see even close to comparable number with a single turbo setup.

My father has the same truck and the instant boost comes from turbos being very small.

The myths of twins spooling faster then a single are a thing of the past. The key is to size the turbo correctly for what you are wanting to do. I can show you single turbo setups that spool faster then twins. The smaller the turbo the faster it will spool.

Turbos are awesome! Get you some...especially if someone else (dad) is buying!

You will laugh out loud everytime you hit the throttle.

Make sure you have a good tune though...and plenty of fuel. I would get somebody like Brian to make sure you were in good shape there and not blow it up first time on boost.