My new video camera

chevysoldier

Aren't u the one who has like half a dozen cameras mounted in each car, that come on automatically and automatically overwrite old recordings? You have a link to the cameras that do that?

NoBama 2012

There was a time when that stuff was hard to do. Not any more. You can get auto recording HD dashcams (look like radar detectors) for $80 on fleabay.

My car has a dinosaur 4-camera system with a 250GB hard drive, records CIF (320x240) at 30fps so I can go back 6 weeks if I need to. I have this set up with a custom-made power controller that turns the cameras on and off in response to the doors opening, trunk or hood opening (trunk opening turns on a special in-the-trunk-camera), impact (parking lot dings) etc.

Current fleabay dashcam on the bike gives me about 2 days history, only one channel, no automatic recording for any even other than ignition-on. But it is nicer quality for moving footage. I actually have two on my bike - one forward and one rearward, because in the city I work in rear-end accidents are the most common type of accident.

My car setup cost me about $1k. It's already paid for itself when a road rager bashed in my front fender with his door and the cop tried to blame me for teh "accident damage" - video proved me to be the victim and I got a $1k restitution order.

Here is the test video. I clipped it to the visor on my car so that's why there is vibration. The sound crackles a couple times but I think that is from the editing software I used to chop it down, didn't do that on the original file. I also need to fix the date.

It's not HD or anything but I think it's good enough for what I'll be using it for. Can't complain too much at the price I got it for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbIQVSLAs1c

It's just a PITA to have to remember to start and stop the recording. If you power off the camera without hitting stop then you will lose your recording.

I tried it a couple times. If I power it off while recording, it saves the video.