Iran hijacked US drone, says Iranian engineer

InyaAzz

The GPS hack makes sense....more sense than them actually taking control of it. I'm leaning towards this being what actually happened.

There's nothing to 'blow up'. The drone is in a secure facility and more than likely in several pieces by now. Any chance to destroy it before any intelligence was gathered was long gone.

Hmmm....in order for the Iranians to do this..they had to know it was up in the air. Maybe this thing isn't as stealthy as we think.

Not repost, this article linked says how they supposedly did it.

About what I suspected, but not quite the truth.

The venerability was most likely originally found by US military or manufacturers.

It was no doubt publicly published, and everyone in the world read it.

This probably happened 20 years ago on 30 year old technology.

We've been flying these since the Korean War, used them in Vietnam, and I saw one just about identical back in the 1980s.

Yes, they (most everyone) are that far behind.

It took at least twenty years to figure out how to trick one into landing somewhere else, and actually do it.

But, jamming and "re-programming" the GPS is a half-truth. Nothing was re-programmed.

But you can change the GPS signals that it receives, so that it thinks it is someplace else entirely.

It would still be tricky to do that and spoof it to an accurate but false auto-return airport landing.

edit: Btw, we've been doing this type of GPS spoofing ever since GPS was invented... Nothing new, but not much in the public about it. The Russians were using it in Baghdad, during Desert Storm. They were testing their equipment in a combat environment. We made a complaint about that. I'm pretty sure the Russians or Chinese were advising on this one also. More likely supplying the equipment so they could see if it worked.

GPS is not encrypted per se. It's public signals for navigation brought to everyone by the USofA.

Edited by ReconRat