Laser + boredom =

20thGix

So i had allitle free time so i decided to make use of the laser marker at work. Sorry about the crappy cell phone pics its all i had.

This is the barrel on my XD9

picture.php?albumid=1374&pictureid=15062

The letters kinda rolled off the bottom. It was hard to line up on such a small area. I think it came out ok though.

picture.php?albumid=1374&pictureid=15063

That cool... You need to offer up your services for all your friends :D

i think next time i will make a fixture to slide the barrel on so i can line up a practice piece. Then just slide it off and slide the barrel on without moving it to line them up perfect. Then we will see about offering up services. Dont want to screw up someone else stuff.

Ok here is what i will do. I will make a fixture for 9mm, .40 and .45. Tryout on a test barrels to make sure it works flawlessly. Then i will see what i can do about getting some done for other people.

Here is how they would come out:

My barrel being black makes the letters come out like a sorta grey-ish. But in the right light and angle its gold-ish. Alittle hard to see with that small of lettering so i used a white paint stick to fill in the letters.

A polished barrel will show-up black.

I dont know what whould happen with a blued barrel. I would assume the same as the black oxide.

What are the details on how the laser marker works. Does it cut to a certain depth or does it just mar the surface and then you use a paint to fill the void?

It doesnt really cut to a certain depth. The more passes you take the deeper the lettering is. The parts we mark at work you can bead blast the lettering off if you make a mistake and thats only a few passes. On the barrel i think i did 30 passes. I dont know the actual depth of the letters but if i was to guess it would be no more then .003". Definatly not coming off with out a belt sander, file or machining it off.

Edited by 20thGix