Skimmer found on US Bank ATM in Pickerington

Casper

Which is why I always grab and pull at the scanning device on ATMs to see if there is a skimmer on them. I would love to find one some time and take it for examination.

Yeah, I'm 90% sure it wasn't on there when I was there last week. However, always better safe than sorry.

You need to have a good look at them and if you see any lines that dont look right, yank the shit out of it. Some skimmers are entire faceplates so you wont see the openings indicating an additional piece. Allot are installed with strong double sided tape but some will actually run a screw through them into the plastic faceplate of the real machine.

Also look for keypad overlays and anything that could house a camera for recording key sequences.

I would love to find one some time and take it for examination.

Just make one.

Use this

ZU-M1121S1_sml.jpg

And hook it up to a CPLD with some flash, then take it when it's full. Card reader, yay! Shit, I have dev boards in my office right now that would do this if I just bought that scanner head and wrote some VHDL for it.

they found one in new albany as well, and a couple others in fairfield co.

in NA the police staked it out, and arrested the guy when he came to retrieve it.

FYI the bank will notify you if your information has been compromised.

if you do find a skimmer, there is usually a number on the ATM that says for emergencies or whatnot. call it. or call the bank's 1-800 number.

if the person on the other end does not seem to be taking the problem seriously or doesnt know what to do, just ask to speak to fraud or security departments.

this kind of stuff really sets off red flags when it gets reported and they WILL look into it.

unfortunately, the cops will often say "well, what do you want us to do with it?" when they get called :rolleyes:

amazingly enough, NAPD had the right idea and caught the guy.

they found one in new albany as well, and a couple others in fairfield co.

in NA the police staked it out, and arrested the guy when he came to retrieve it.

FYI the bank will notify you if your information has been compromised.

if you do find a skimmer, there is usually a number on the ATM that says for emergencies or whatnot. call it. or call the bank's 1-800 number.

if the person on the other end does not seem to be taking the problem seriously or doesnt know what to do, just ask to speak to fraud or security departments.

this kind of stuff really sets off red flags when it gets reported and they WILL look into it.

unfortunately, the cops will often say "well, what do you want us to do with it?" when they get called :rolleyes:

amazingly enough, NAPD had the right idea and caught the guy.

Not in this case. They have no idea how long it's been there. When I talked to them last night, they said they're recommending everyone who's used that ATM recently to get a new card number and pin.

Just make one.

Use this

ZU-M1121S1_sml.jpg

And hook it up to a CPLD with some flash, then take it when it's full. Card reader, yay! Shit, I have dev boards in my office right now that would do this if I just bought that scanner head and wrote some VHDL for it.

I dont want to spend my time or money to buy or build.. I want to piss one of these asshats off by taking theirs. :) The problem would be that I would have to notify and end up turning over the device because I wouldnt want something to think I was the guy coming back to retrieve the goods.

Not in this case. They have no idea how long it's been there. When I talked to them last night, they said they're recommending everyone who's used that ATM recently to get a new card number and pin.

interesting. my buddy used the one in NA he said that and the bank called him and told him that it was likely his account was compromised...

i guess i should have said the bank SHOULD contact you, rather than WILL lol.

The problem is this. If they get the skimmer, they can pull the data off for exactly what cards were compromised. The issue is that they dont know how long it has been in place and how many times the data has been downloaded and erased for the next batch. This is the reason they warn everyone generically and those for sure that they know have been compromised.

yeah, i think what they should normally do is look up the records and contact everyone who used the ATM within whatever time period... although each bank will have a different procedure. if one is worried it def. wouldnt hurt to get a new card/pin.

Don't most atm machine have cameras on them now for security purposes? Interesti.g how these get installed without detection.

I think they only look at that footage when needed, like someone getting robbed at the atm or seeing where someone tried to break into it.

The cameras on ATMs are only on when you insert a card. Since the ATM doesn't detect a card when they install the skimmer the camera doesn't record em.

Thats not exactly true.. Ive seen vids from the ATMs of theives installing the skimmers. Allot of the new ATMs can be or already are tied into the overal survelience system of the Bank.

WaltherGSP could probably provide details due to who he works for.

They should make it an SOP at every bank to have an employee check the ATM for even just a moment 2-3 times a day for this shit. Imagine how many peoples anger and $ they'd save by simply tasking an employee to do this a few times a day that have been taught proper education on what these look like and how they work. :drsuess:

Thats not exactly true.. Ive seen vids from the ATMs of theives installing the skimmers. Allot of the new ATMs can be or already are tied into the overal survelience system of the Bank.

WaltherGSP could probably provide details due to who he works for.

1) It Depends on the bank if they are going to have a clue as to if your account was compromised. Some banks have really on the ball security dept's, some don't. As Flounder stated, they may not know how many times data was pulled off of that skimmer, also there is a trend for those things to broadcast that data via bluetooth so they run less risk of getting caught.

2) It's very hit and miss. No, I've never seen it only active when a card is in. There is integration, but usually not quite like that. However, often your PAN may get recorded on the video for Loss Prevention purposes when you do insert the card. Also, whether its real video is hit or miss. Video is 30 frames per second and requires a lot of storage. I've seen a lot of security cameras (atm or not) only do 6-8 fps to cut down on storage if they feel they don't need full time video.

They should make it an SOP at every bank to have an employee check the ATM for even just a moment 2-3 times a day for this shit. Imagine how many peoples anger and $ they'd save by simply tasking an employee to do this a few times a day that have been taught proper education on what these look like and how they work. :drsuess:

It's SOP for the folks that service it, the ATM techs and the cash handlers. That's usually how it gets caught.