Dreaming of the Aurora Borealis

ReconRat

Yes, this would be an adventure. With the increase in solar activity, the Aurora Borealis should be rather good viewing this Summer. Except it really can't be seen this far South. And I really can't see trying to get to Yellowknife, or Alaska, or flying to Sweden, on short notice. And it would be short notice, since the Aurora events can't really be predicted.

So what does that leave. Michigan Upper Peninsula, by motorcycle. Specifically Copper Harbor, MI. Pretty much as straight due North from Ohio that you can get.

There's a nice set of lodge log cabins on top of a mountain there. And a place right on the shore of the lake. Both would probably be pretty good viewing of a decent Aurora Borealis event.

It's a long ride, but then I saw that cutting across Lake Michigan would save time and give a break. There are two ferries across the lake. A 4 hour ship from Ludington, MI to Manitowoc, WI. And a 2.5 hour high speed ship from Muskegon, MI to Milwaukee, WI.

So the questions are; Is it worth the trip? Has anyone ever taken these ferries across the lake? Would it be fun? Is it dumb to take off really pre-dawn like I'm tempted, to get going out of Ohio? Can I make it up and back in one day each? How many days would it take to be reasonably enjoyable to go there? Or an I just dreaming again?

Columbus to Muskegon; 350mi, 8.5hr, no freeway (6.5hr on freeway)

2.5 hour boat ride (departs 10:15am or 4:45pm)

Milwaukee to Copper Harbor; 377mi, 8.25hr, no freeway

or

Columbus to Ludington, MI; 415mi, 9.3hr, no freeway

4 hour boat ride (departs 9am or 8:30pm)

Manitowoc, WI to Copper Harbor, MI

Looks like Muskegon to Milwaukee to get there. Because of the departure times. Maybe the other one on the way back.

Ship check-ins are mostly "be there an hour before".

It's obviously somewhat faster on a bike, these are Google Map time estimates.

All map times and distances were "no toll, no freeway".

Time zone changes crossing the lake. Gain an hour West, lose one East.

Freeways around cities to save time, no sense going through downtown areas.

Yes it is worth it. I've seen it at my Mom's, she lives outside of Sault Ste. Marie. When i saw them it wasn't the waves that you usually see videos of. The sky just changed colors from a bright white to yellow to red. As far as the ferries go, i have no been on them but both have excellent reputations for a first class trip. If I was going to do it, i would take the S.S. Spartan. I like the nostalgia of it being one of the last coal fired steamers on the Great Lakes. She is most likely to be re-powered after the 2012 season due to the Gov't enforcement of the clean air act. The owners are trying to get an exemption based on her being a historical ship. Copper Harbour would be a great place to watch from.

This is the sister ship, SS Badger. I get the point though, it's not going to be around forever. The SS Badger itself is being studied for possible natural gas conversion. The Badger recently was granted possible exemption from any conversions as a historic landmark. (November 09, 2011) The SS Spartan re-engined with modern diesels was proposed in 2000 for the Muskegan-Milwaukee run that the fast little twin hull is now running. The Spartan is being gutted for parts for the Badger, and has recently become an object of a movement to save it from destruction.

The Badger, which has operated for 58 years on Lake Michigan, is the nation's last coal-powered steamship. Owned by the Lake Michigan Carferry Co., the Badger carries passengers and vehicles between Ludington and Manitowoc, Wis.

800px-SSBadger.JPG

The SS Lake Express is a twin hull that carries 46 cars and 12 motorcycles. She is the first high speed auto/passenger ferry to operate on a route on both the Great Lakes and within the Continental United States. 40mph.

585MtDbJHBERc4Kxxu2m1g1cBnylKeY3DsaG24D5C5lqficdPmFiW2gjkLBytXJkGI_iQzWcO0_ITM0xwCNSzIba-wdrEWIGUYWkfVKDSoVzKva4B9TxHFr6

Maybe I want the wrong adventure. Maybe the trip of choice is to run up there and cross on one ship and back on the other. Skip everything else.

Tom, I'd do this with you this summer. It'd have to be a weekend trip for me, but I'd be in.

Still thinking that trying to catch the Aurora Borealis is a decent idea. But there's nothing wrong with a trial run across the lake and back. And you could add Michigan and Wisconsin to your travel map.

Doesn't look like a trip on both ships can be done in one day with all the travel there and back and between. But the Badger has a late night departure at 1am back to Michigan, that I suppose people sleep on.

The original idea was a way to get to North of Chicago to visit my brother-in-law, without having to fight my way through Chicago on a motorcycle, or have to detour around. Crossing the Lake is 4 to 5 hours longer to Northern Chicago, but 2.5 hour of it is boat ride.

http://www.lake-express.com/

http://www.ssbadger.com/home.aspx

http://www.wisconsinmaritime.org/index.php

Edited by ReconRat

In. I've done some UP rides before and it's a good time.

Ben -I'm with you; it'd be a an overnighter for me or a 3 day weekend ride. Could stop in Chicago on the way back and hang out there if ya want.

Or, could do an around Lake Superior ride and hit Aerostich in Duluth (aside from suits, they have lots of cool shit in their store).

Keep me posted.

Edited by Earache

This is on my bucket list. If you are interested in making a group ride i would def be interested. Would have to borrow the old mans burgman for this.

Might as well take a Plaggy Chicken*. :confused:

C90Deluxe1-1.jpg

*Plaggy = British slang for "Plastic". The C90 was nicknamed the Plastic Chicken in Britain because of its utilitarian fairing.

Might as well take a Plaggy Chicken*. :confused:

C90Deluxe1-1.jpg

*Plaggy = British slang for "Plastic". The C90 was nicknamed the Plastic Chicken in Britain because of its utilitarian fairing.

Burgman 650 would be better than the gsxr for that any miles though.

here's a couple of articles that have been posted in the past few day about the S.S. Badger on boatnerd.com

S.S. Badger awaits federal decisions as potential final season nears

1/21 - Ludington, Mich. – The S.S. Badger ferry is entering uncharted waters, and there are storm clouds on the horizon. Without federal action in its favor, the company that owns the 410-foot vessel may be forced to shut down cross-lake operations between Ludington and Manitowoc, Wis., beginning with the 2013 season.

Two proposals with the federal government a petition with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency seeking a special permit and a U.S. House amendment added to a U.S. Coast Guard bill basically hold the key for the Lake Michigan Carferry's quest to operate the coal-fired vessel beyond the upcoming season.

No deadline exists for action on the company's petition to the EPA or congressional approval of a final version of the Coast Guard appropriations bill, with or without the Badger clause.

The Badger, believed to be the last coal-fired passenger vessel operating regularly in the United States, is currently authorized to discharge coal ash into the lake under a section of its vessel general permit. That authorization expires Dec. 19.

Supporters of the Badger's continued operations point to its economic impact on its port communities and the company's studies that show limited, if any, impact by its coal ash on the lake. Opponents of the Badger's coal-ash dumping claim the Clean Water Act requires it to stop the practice, others have to follow the law and the company has had enough time to find an alternative to its coal-fired system.

The upcoming season, set to begin in May, would likely be the last for the Badger if the EPA does not grant a permit allowing for the continued dumping of coal ash into Lake Michigan or the final Coast Guard bill does not guarantee historical status to circumvent the more recent environmental standards.

Lake Michigan Carferry is seeking to renew the authorization from the EPA that it currently operates under, allowing for the coal-ash discharge to continue. It sent a petition for a National Permit Discharge Elimination System permit to the EPA, dated Nov. 2.

Lynda Matson, Lake Michigan Carferry's vice president of customer service and marketing, said company officials are confused and frustrated by the uncertain time frame concerning rulings by the EPA and action by the U.S. Senate. The U.S. House has already passed the Coast Guard budget bill that includes the waiver for the Badger.

“The concern is not being able to tell our employees how we're going to be operating in the future,” Matson said. “We provide 200 jobs, and they want to know. Not being able to give them a firm time line is difficult.”

Phillippa Canon, an EPA spokeswoman, said the agency is still reviewing the petition and is moving forward as quickly as possible.

Muskegon Chronicle

S.S. Badger issue causes Congress to choose sides among environment, business

1/24 - Ludington, Mich. - The legislation involving the S.S. Badger could develop into a political showdown at the Congressional level.

A high-ranking Democrat in the U.S. Senate has voiced his opposition to allowing the Lake Michigan ferry to continue to dump its coal ash overboard, while three congressmen from the affected states have worked to advance a special clause that would allow the practice.

Without the U.S. House-approved amendment to the proposed Coast Guard budget bill, the Badger may be forced to shut down cross-lake operations after its upcoming season of cross-lake ferry service. The Badger's owner also is seeking a permit from the Environmental Protection Agency to continue operating.

The Badger, believed to be the last coal-fired passenger vessel operating regularly in the United States, is currently authorized to discharge coal ash into the lake under a section of the Vessel General Permit. That authorization expires on Dec. 19.

The U.S. House of Representatives approved the amendment co-sponsored by U.S. Reps. Bill Huizenga, R-Zeeland; Dan Benishek, R-Crystal Falls; and Tom Petri, R-Manitowoc, Wis. for its version of the Coast Guard bill in November that would allow the Badger to continue operating as is for the life of the vessel based on its historic significance. A different version of the Coast Guard bill, which does not include the Badger amendment, has yet to be approved by the U.S. Senate.

U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin, the assistant majority leader, has come out in strong opposition in what he views as the Badger's attempt to circumvent EPA standards. After meeting with EPA Administrator Lisa Jackson in November, Durbin called on federal officials to block the bid for National Historic Landmark Status for the Badger because of its implication in the House amendment.

“This is more than a car ferry with a venerable tradition,” Durbin said in a news release. “This is a vessel that generates and dumps four tons of coal ash laced with mercury and arsenic into Lake Michigan every day. Lake Michigan cannot take any more toxic dumping, no matter how historic or quaint the source may be.”

Lynda Matson, Lake Michigan Carferry's vice president of customer service and marketing, said the company applauds the three Congressmen for their efforts and calls on the U.S. Senators from Michigan and Wisconsin to follow that lead.

“Huizenga, Benishek and Petri are true champions of our area,” Matson said, referencing the economic benefits and jobs generated by the Badger in Ludington and Manitowoc. “When the time comes, we are hopeful that our senators will also support the S.S. Badger given the huge impact we have on Michigan and Wisconsin.”

In supporting amendment, Huizenga said it is an example of getting rid of federal government regulations that threaten small business.

Without the certainty provided by this amendment, the Badger could very easily be forced off the Great Lakes at the end of 2012, Huizenga said on the House floor in November. With an annual economic impact of roughly $35 million for our two small port cities both in Wisconsin and in Michigan, keeping the Badger operational is absolutely vital to our communities.

Muskegon Chronicle

watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XbnOUDCCPew

image.jpg

The aurora borealis, or Northern Lights, are seen near the city of Trondheim, Norway Tuesday Jan. 23, 2012. Stargazers were out in force in northern Europe on Tuesday, hoping to be awed by a spectacular showing of northern lights after the most powerful solar storm in six years.

Edited by Strictly Street

Me too. Too rich for my blood. 8-10 hours a day is my limit for enjoying the ride.

If careful, I could get there in one day, and not come back till rested up.

I suppose that's the idea when trying to catch an Aurora Borealis event.

There would only be a one or two day warning in advance.

Direct on freeway would be 781 mi, 13.75 hr, average one way.

Crossing the Mackinaw Bridge.

Worst case would be to give up at Mackinaw City and stay there.

I laid out a 1000 mile iron butt that direction a couple of years ago. Didn't do it. The easiest roads with the minimum traffic from Columbus would be up to the top of the lower Michigan peninsula and back in 24 hours.