Wiring Problem

Jst2fst

I'm putting on some front turn signals and want to have them on running like the stock ones are. Running lights and turn signal deal as usual. Aftermarket lights only have the positive and negative wires while the stock ones have two power wires and a negative. A green wire and a blue and blue wire with a white stripe down it. Thought I had it right to get them to work like stock but not I'm missing something here. Do I need to buy something else to fix the problem in the lights I'm lost. The lights turn on and run but they won't flash and my instrument cluster has both turn signals lit when the turn signals are on. I just need some help in figureing this out seemed like a simple mod :nono: Thanks

Edited by Jst2fst
Mis information

change up the wires to make sure you've got the actual blinking ones hooked up?

My CBR already has flushmounts and had 3 wires if i remember right

That's my next step to make sure I actually got them right. Gonna have to look at the wiring diagram for the lights as well

Yup, there are turn signals with and without the running light. One is two wire and the other is three wire. Although it might be possible to change the lamp socket and wires to the three wire, I'm going to guess that a similar after market turn signal with 3 wire is available.

edit: most Hondas I've looked at, have the three wire in the front and two wire in the back? The back ones flash the running light, and the front ones keep the running light on while flashing? I think. Schematic required to be sure. It's been a while since I messed with them. I was going to convert all to three wire a while back, and lost interest in doing it.

Some of the after market turn signals I've looked at definitely had both the two wire and the three wire types for sale. But not all of them.

Edited by ReconRat

Yup, there are turn signals with and without the running light. One is two wire and the other is three wire. Although it might be possible to change the lamp socket and wires to the three wire, I'm going to guess that a similar after market turn signal with 3 wire is available.

Nope their led turn signal mirrors. Only come in two wire I've seen people with them on their bikes.

Nope their led turn signal mirrors. Only come in two wire I've seen people with them on their bikes.

Argh, so they aren't meant to be running lights? Unless it's using the metal mount as a chassis ground. That's the one thing to check. try hot turn signal on one wire, and hot running light on the other wire. Did this kit come with instructions? Not that instructions are worth anything sometimes...

Otherwise it's hooking them up like the two wire lamps in the back. Even if you have to run your wires back there and share connections.

wait... I'm going to dig out a 600 schematic... brb

Right side:

Dual filament bulb up front. The after market is LEDs?

The Green is the ground and is common with the headlight, position light and headlight relay.

The light blue with white stripe is powered from the right turn signal dimmer switch.

The light blue is powered from the instrument cluster, at the right turn signal indicator light.

Left side same except orange instead of blue.

edit: the rear turn signals are two wire.

Edited by ReconRat

Argh, so they aren't meant to be running lights? Unless it's using the metal mount as a chassis ground. That's the one thing to check. try hot turn signal on one wire, and hot running light on the other wire. Did this kit come with instructions? Not that instructions are worth anything sometimes...

Otherwise it's hooking them up like the two wire lamps in the back. Even if you have to run your wires back there and share connections.

wait... I'm going to dig out a 600 schematic... brb

No, instructions cae with them. My guess iis they can be used for both the picture when I bought them had the lights running. I'm gonna have to try the hot wiring tomorrow after work and into the weekend.

CBR forum: Convert two wire turn signals to three wire input:

http://cbrforum.com/forum/how-mechanical-40/convert-2-wire-signals-3-wire-inputs-84998/

Fireblade forum discussion:

http://www.fireblades.org/forums/introductions/53980-3-wire-turn-signals-2-wire-led-lights.html

lol... ebay instructions on how to hook two wire to three wire (I have doubts after reading "connect to coil"... yikes!)

http://reviews.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motorcycle-Turn-Signals-Installation-Guide?ugid=10000000016132105

Yamaha R6 discussion of two to three conversion:

http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148648

Honda Shadow discussion of same:

http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/72-technical-discussion/85870-leds-turn-signal-wiring-two-wire-leds-work-three-wire.html

ok, you get the picture. They are using diodes to load balance the single set of two wire bulb or leds. This makes it light up for running light, and flash full bright for turn signal. Using a three wire input. There still might be a need to adjust the flash rate of LEDs when done.

Or, the setup will run the running light, and flash it on off as a turn signal. Not sure if all the instructions are the same.

Edited by ReconRat
  • Upvote 2

CBR forum: Convert two wire turn signals to three wire input:

http://cbrforum.com/forum/how-mechanical-40/convert-2-wire-signals-3-wire-inputs-84998/

Fireblade forum discussion:

http://www.fireblades.org/forums/introductions/53980-3-wire-turn-signals-2-wire-led-lights.html

lol... ebay instructions on how to hook two wire to three wire (I have doubts after reading "connect to coil"... yikes!)

http://reviews.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motorcycle-Turn-Signals-Installation-Guide?ugid=10000000016132105

Yamaha R6 discussion of two to three conversion:

http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148648

+1 thanks I'll look into it thanks

Honda Shadow discussion of same:

http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/72-technical-discussion/85870-leds-turn-signal-wiring-two-wire-leds-work-three-wire.html

ok, you get the picture. They are using diodes to load balance the single set of two wire bulb or leds. This makes it light up for running light, and flash full bright for turn signal. Using a three wire input. There still might be a need to adjust the flash rate of LEDs when done.

Or, the setup will run the running light, and flash it on off as a turn signal. Not sure if all the instructions are the same.

+1 thanks I'll look at the diodes and get some let you guys know how it works

Hooking them up with the rear two wire turn signals is by far the easiest thing to do. They will be exactly the same as the rear lights. This might avoid having to try to adjust the flash rate of the LEDs.

Although that's not much different than hooking them up with the correct two of three wires up front.

If you don't have any running lights up front anymore, you could always add those somewhere. Or even keep your stock turn signals as running lights.

So there's three or four ways to do this, you'll have to decide which one.

dang, you could even keep your stock front turn signals, and add the mirror turn signals...

Looks like I'm gonna use the diode/relay method my bikes in pieces right now and I like that method vs running additional wire from the rear signals. I just wanna have the running lights for night riding to help on visibility.

I just tried to do the mod on my lights and I had to of screwed something up. Now my turn signal indicator lights are off but still the same problem lights won't flash. I think I might of fried a diode while while soldering. Try again till its right been looking at the posts on the cbr forumn fir some added help.

VOM time. Trace till it's found. Both sides? Jumper past the flasher relay to see if they light up? Or jump 12v into the circuit at places to see where they light up and where they don't...

edit: use alligator clips or similar for heat sinks on the diode leads when soldering. You get a few more seconds that way before they are damaged.

Edited by ReconRat

I tried another mod the resister and diode mod no dice as well. Gonna try the relay method and the one suggested on the shadow forum next weekend. Hopefully one of them will work. The one from the shadow forum has a jumper wire between the two signals. Given its a Honda I'm gonna try this one next then the relay method hopefully one of the two left will work.

• 2 weeks later...

Still nothing used some gator clips for a heat sink and they stayed fairly cool. I'm gonna check my turn signal relay later today and see if I could of fried it. Lights work on both sides when selected and the front one stay running and the rears go off as they should they just won't blink. However their is a slight fast pulse they you would not see unless you really look closely at the lights. So I think my problem is in the relay hopefully.

Maybe a stupid question but are you wiring the diodes in the correct direction? I'm not sure you need one.

I'm assuming your 2 wire LED's only have one mode. On or off. So running them on all the time as running lights the only thing changing when blinker is on would be they turn off.

Not sure what diagram your using but it should be simple to use a relay to kill a ground which would turn them off for a blink then back on if your running light wire is connected to the LED. ground comes from the bike to relay, out of relay(the two connectore on teh relay that are normally closed, to the led ground wire. Need to be a Normally closed relay. So when power comes to the blink wire it open the relay killing the ground turning the light off.

Edited by Gump

Maybe a stupid question but are you wiring the diodes in the correct direction? I'm not sure you need one.

I'm assuming your 2 wire LED's only have one mode. On or off. So running them on all the time as running lights the only thing changing when blinker is on would be they turn off.

Not sure what diagram your using but it should be simple to use a relay to kill a ground which would turn them off for a blink then back on if your running light wire is connected to the LED. ground comes from the bike to relay, out of relay(the two connectore on teh relay that are normally closed, to the led ground wire. Need to be a Normally closed relay. So when power comes to the blink wire it open the relay killing the ground turning the light off.

I'm using the diagram fro the first post that Reconrat posted on the cbr forum. Like I mentioned it requires twio diodes one on the powere wire and one on the turn signal wire. Both silver strips are facing the leds then soldered together. This method has worked for others but I must be doing something wrong. The negative side has nothing on it just a plain wire. All my lights do now is that when I select the right signal the right side of the turn signals stay lit but don't blink and they will cancel out as they should this goes for the left side as well. Also the front ones stay running like stock and the rear one are off like they should be. I just don't have a flash pattern when I hit the turn signal so something has to be wrong. I did see a quick faint pulse on the turn signals and I not sure what that is from thwy still look energized if your not paying attention. I'll try and post a video of what they are doing today if I get some time.

Replacing the front turning signals you need to change the relay in the fuse box with a trailer relay if you are changing the rear lights need to put a heat resistor and not the one with the shrink wrap around it. It will melt when it heats up.

I'm replacing all my turn sigals with LEDS the rear signals are intergrated into the tail light with an undertail. I've heard some people used the trailed method and I decided against. However I might have to consider it now you know what type of relay I'm looking for I've stumbled across some 3 to 2 wire converters but they just looked like you ran them on either side of the bike for the turn signals. Also my rear turn signals are two wire application I'm only having problems with the front which is causing the entire bike to not have working signals.

You need to put a resistor inline with the front signals, on both sides. Since they are now LEDs it wants to pull a different load than the stock ones. Sometimes the signals will blink fast and sometimes not at all if the resistor is not there. I have noticed this issue on the 600RRs a lot, indicators on dash stays on and signals wont blink. We have even had to install an integrated tail light or LED rear signals to even out the load. The resistor needed is one that comes with an integrated rear tail light

Fast pulse? While the light is just steady on, or "off, and supposed to be blinking"?

It looks like a fast pulse when their lit but it just looks like its on constant. I had some resistors hooked up to them 270 ohm and still the same thing.

Pulse is probably just from the battery drain making the rears blink.

I don't believe the CBR post would work unless the bike turns OFF power to the running light, which it wouldn't since his running light stays on then another element in the blinker lights up via power going to the 3rd wire. Unless the running light actualy does turn off. Basically he's sending 12 volts + positive for running lights then adding another 12volts when the blinkers on. It wouldn't do anything unless the bike kills a ground.

below is what i would do if the bike stock was simply energizing a brighter bulb, leaving + power to the running light bulb, when + power was sent via the blinking wire. Like trailer brakes with a 1157 bulb with two elements in it. but now your trailer brake only has 1 element. Wish i knew what shut off when you turned your blinker on.

wire.jpg

Edited by Gump