helmet opinions

Hoblick

im in the market for a new helmet.

love my shoei helmets, but thought i may venture out into different territory.

arai, and suomy helmets dont fit my head well so they are out.

shark helmets are ok, but they are a little to narrow for my head. although i really like the white and carbon one pony has :(

i have been researching AGV and Nolan X-lite helmets

i have only tried one AGV on, it was one they had at pony a while back, it was a rossi replica deal. fit pretty well, but it was a little heavy compared to my x-11

the nolan x-lite ive never tired on let alone seen one in person.

anyone have an AVG ti-tech, gp-tech, or grid? how does it fit in comparison to a shoei rf1100, rf1000, x-11?

anyone have a nolan x-lite? i know its a stretch, but just wondering.

Cant elaborate on the Shoei, AGV, or any of the helmets you've mentioned :dunno:

The wife and I currently have KBC's and the fitment is good as well as the quality, but we are overdue for upgrades so now I'm looking at Star series Bell's - heard good things and they look absolutely stellar......plus, our heads are worth it:D

Good luck narrowing your search!

U dont want to go to cheap on this part of your gear...this is your melon we are saving ... fuck price get something that fit your head... I love my arai and shoei helmets but I'm looking at a Bell thing year...had icon helmets..

A bit heavy and mine was noisy....

scorpion helmet was not bad... again just a bit heavy on longer rides.

Happy helmet hunting

Edited by BornSinner

I too am very biased towards my Shoei since coming from my cheap Scorpion but I too am considering getting a new helmet and my first thoughts are to try the Bell Star as I've heard nothing but great things

I currently own a Suomy Spec1R, an Arai RX-7 Corsair, and an X-Lite 901. The most comfortable is the Suomy, hands down. It's the quietest too. That said, the X-Lite is my wet weather helmet. It came with a Pin-Lock set up which is awesome when mist or fogging might be an issue. It was comfortable, and did well for two seasons before I got the Suomy.

The Arai is my beater. Loud. As. Hell.

I am pretty much sold on the Shoei Quest for my next lid. I have had HJC's "good helmets" and currently have a cheap Scorpion EX400 "not bad for cheap" but Shoei and Arai are hard to compete with IMHO. Now as far as protection goes........PEOPLE NEED TO STOP BELIEVING THAT THE MORE YOU PAY THE SAFER IT IS, truth is the more you pay the more comfy and quiet it usually is.

I am pretty much sold on the Shoei Quest for my next lid. I have had HJC's "good helmets" and currently have a cheap Scorpion EX400 "not bad for cheap" but Shoei and Arai are hard to compete with IMHO. Now as far as protection goes........PEOPLE NEED TO STOP BELIEVING THAT THE MORE YOU PAY THE SAFER IT IS, truth is the more you pay the more comfy and quiet it usually is.

This is true. Also more aero dynamic.

Comfort, weight,noise, airflow, aerodynamics, and safety.

Thats what i look for. And imo the higher dollar helmts do iffer lighter weight and far more comfort. And alot less wind noise.

Another thing to consider is price of shields. I usually run a clear, light smike, and dark smoke.

I have been looking at the Kali kana?? Carbon as well. 3.1lbs and a proprietary shell / liner. Pretty neat.

Just not sure about the Quality, they havent been around long

I really like the x-lite 802 lorenzo replica.. Just dont have a chance to try one on. And alot of money to take a gamble on

ive looked at the bell star as well, but they are heavier, and noisy at speeds so im told.

Versus what? I have been wearing the Star since it came out and even used some prototypes. They are some of the nicest lids I have worn and that includes being a Suomy guy for YEARS. I also have worn Arai and Shoei and think all are great. You just need to trial and fit and see what feels best.

You don't always get what you pay for. Understand that some of the things Arai is doing puzzles me. Glued in liners, etc... For the price, I want to be able to custom fit the lid to me and have the ability to remove and replace liners to fit better to what I like and desire.

Plus, the Bell guys are really hard core on customer service. Again, I think Bell, Arai, Shoei, etc are great choices. I do like the newest HJC also...

Anyways, just try them on and see what works for you. Asking what lid is like asking what the best tire is or the best oil...

Versus what? I have been wearing the Star since it came out and even used some prototypes. They are some of the nicest lids I have worn and that includes being a Suomy guy for YEARS. I also have worn Arai and Shoei and think all are great. You just need to trial and fit and see what feels best.

You don't always get what you pay for. Understand that some of the things Arai is doing puzzles me. Glued in liners, etc... For the price, I want to be able to custom fit the lid to me and have the ability to remove and replace liners to fit better to what I like and desire.

Plus, the Bell guys are really hard core on customer service. Again, I think Bell, Arai, Shoei, etc are great choices. I do like the newest HJC also...

Anyways, just try them on and see what works for you. Asking what lid is like asking what the best tire is or the best oil...

Wasnt asking what lid is best... More of a fitment question.

The bell star is nice, but felt heavier than my x-11. And wasnt nearly as comfy. Pressure point on the top of my head.

Im with you though on being able to change out cheek pads and what not to better fit you.

Best thing to do is get someone that knows what they are talking about fit your head to the helmet. Headliner and cheek pads need to be sized to your anatomy. Usually at the motorcycle show you can get Bruce Porter from Arai to measure your head and fit you to the proper size. He will give you some great information regardless of the brand you decide to buy.

As far as my choice I like Arai because it fit my head shape the best. I also have tested it and know for a fact it saved my life.