LTB: Shoei Qwest or RF1000 or Bell Star

Cdubyah

Looking to buy a new lid for this upcoming year. Really sick of my scorpion. I think my melon is just to damn big for it. I usually get a headache after about an hour from it pressing on my forehead.

So looking for some positive and negatives. On these 3 helmets.

Tried on a bell star @ the ims show. It was actually pretty comfy. Only problem I had was getting my glasses on. Those are pretty essential to me. Kept getting stuck on the damn foam and couldn't get them around my ears. Price was a little on the steep side, but I would consider it

Haven't tried either of the shoei's yet, but plan on it soon. Price is right about where I want to be, and I've heard good reviews.

Wind noise doesn't bug me much, maybe cuz I'm used to it from previous lids. However, ventilation is a good selling point. Would also like to throw my headphones on for longer rides too.

Edited by Cdubyah

I have an RF-1000. It is ever so slightly a tad big but it fits close enough to perfect that I know going a M or XL would not work. This is an advantage for keeping ear buds in when putting it on and for your use, I've got caught out at night with a dark shield so I was able to throw on some clear safety glasses I have and works out well, very easy on and off

• Upvote 1

Have you tried a bell star? That's the specific model I'm looking at.

I know bell is known for low cost helmets, but the reviews don't lie. That thing was like a feather on my head. I know a few folks on here have them. It also carries a bigger price tag than either shoei.

Also, ugly betty isn't really that ugly.:cool:

• 3 weeks later...

I have 2 Shoei X-11s, an X-12, and just got a brand new in box Bell Star carbon fiber. The Star is an excellent lid, way lighter than the X-12. X-12 works extremely well in the wind and is actually pretty quiet. I haven't used the Star yet... would consider selling it if you need size large? As far as the aforementioned Qwest goes, it shouldn't fog up badly if you use its anti-fog mechanism; it's the same shield as my X-12 and I never have a problem.

• Upvote 1

Both of my X-11s are size XL if you wanted something cheap (used) but still high quality. One is the Kiyonari (in my picture) & the other is the blue E-Boz graphic with bulls on it. Intermediate oval head shape & well cared for lids. Just a thought...

• 2 weeks later...

Check out my other thead. It has a link to a closeout store online that is selling Bell Star helmets for $200. It is for real. I got one it is by far the most comfortable & affordable helmet that I own yet. It is amazing. The helmet bag is a plus. A 5 year warranty. If you have anything that breaks or malfunctions they will replace it with no questions asked.

http://www.ohioriders.net/showthread.php?t=89404

I tried the Shoei Qwest a while back at a shop and it was very nice and the price wasn't outrageous. I was actually seriously considering it over the Arai RQ or whatever it was, but then ran across several articles and reviews about Bell Star helmets comeback and all. Plus Bell is American, so I wanted to support USA jobs. So, that is why I decided with them...and these prices didn't hurt at all.

Also, I tried the SHoei RF1100 and preferred the Qwest for the better comfy fit. But seriously, if the Qwest fits better on your head then the Bell Star will be all the better. It is like having a down comforter on your head. It is soooo light and comfy, I wear it around the house, just because.

Heck, I am actually considering another at those prices. So, I have another on hand if I wreck it.

Edited by OhioBob

The way I have understood it, the better the ventilation the more noisy the helmet tends to be. Just wear ear plugs and you will be fine. Better to be cool and comfy with ear plugs on those hot August days then to have a helmet that is less noisy but not as ventilated. Right?