I took the plunge

tyler524

Background

Private sales are firearm sales by persons other than federally licensed firearms dealers.

Private sellers are not subject to federal laws governing licensed dealers.

Although the “private sale” loophole is frequently referred to as the “gun show” loophole

(because of the particular problems associated with gun shows), it applies to all firearm

sales, regardless of where they occur.1

Summary of Federal Law

Federal law imposes various duties on federally licensed firearms dealers. Firearms

dealers must, among other things: (1) perform background checks on prospective firearm

purchasers; (2) maintain records of all gun sales; (3) make those records available to law

enforcement for inspection; (4) report multiple sales; and (5) report the theft or loss of a

firearm from the licensee’s inventory.2 Federal law imposes none of these requirements

on unlicensed sellers, however.

I mean I just have a fear of someone committing a crime with my gun and it being traced to me. If I know the person its a different story but some stranger, who knows what they are going to do. Is there anything that would protect me from something happening? I mean just saying you sold the gun isn't going to get you off the hook in an investigation will it? I may just be over thinking this but what is the harm in getting a bill of sale just to be safe? You would do that for a car wouldn't you? What is the difference?

I'm just saying I wouldn't buy it if CHL wasn't enough but you might find someone that will but be aware that you may find a lot that won't especially at a gun show. The same way you said you don't know them well they don't know you or what that gun was used for so why create a paper trail.

I'm just saying I wouldn't buy it if CHL wasn't enough but you might find someone that will but be aware that you may find a lot that won't especially at a gun show. The same way you said you don't know them well they don't know you or what that gun was used for so why create a paper trail.

Good point, I never thought of this.

I mean I just have a fear of someone committing a crime with my gun and it being traced to me. If I know the person its a different story but some stranger, who knows what they are going to do. Is there anything that would protect me from something happening? I mean just saying you sold the gun isn't going to get you off the hook in an investigation will it? I may just be over thinking this but what is the harm in getting a bill of sale just to be safe? You would do that for a car wouldn't you? What is the difference?

"I sold it. Prove I didn't". I'm not trying to be a nut-swinger, but I take this fundamental freedom very seriously. You have the right to not sell to a shady dude. I've exercised that right on many occasions.

I won't buy a gun with bill of sale. I don't require anything but a glance at an id to verify age and state. Recently told a guy to get lost when he "required" a copy of my license. I find it hypocritical to fight for 2A rights and then turn around and violate them. Until there is a law prohibiting private sales, I will do nothing more than current law requires. Plus, most of my shit was lost in a fire on Blosser's boat.
"I sold it. Prove I didn't". I'm not trying to be a nut-swinger, but I take this fundamental freedom very seriously. You have the right to not sell to a shady dude. I've exercised that right on many occasions.

exactly. i never make people sign anything. i ask if they are legally allowed to own one, check for a valid OH drivers license, and send them on their way.

if the gun is used in a crime and traced back to me, oh well..."Sorry officer, I sold that gun several months ago."

you arent breaking a law selling privately, so no need to stress about it. will you get questioned? maybe. is it enough for you to get arrested or in trouble? nope. not unless they have other evidence to implicate you in the crime.

• Upvote 1