Home Theater help

TheBrown57

So my dad just got a new place and has tasked me with finding him a new TV and Surround sound.

Not looking for something like Bad has (from what Ive read) something nice and total under $700.

So far Ive found a Panasonic 46" Plasma 720p 120Hrz for $380

Next is the surround sound which my dad specifically wants to have a self powered sub, because for him the sub makes the system.

TV's I know for the most part but I'm lacking in my knowledge of surround sounds. He likes his music and likes it loud so a AUX jack is a must.

Suggestions and thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

A couple notches below what I have but should still be pretty awesome. As for TV, I'll see if I can't find some sort of deal

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S5400-7-1-Channel-Theater-System/dp/B004O0TREC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330608534&sr=8-1

Edited by Bad324

I have shopped for quite a while trying to find a good surround system set of speakers and have found nothing for much less than $700 or $800 dollars. Not anything of decent quality. Surround systems with a receiver are $1k or more.

My son had one of the higher priced Samsung surround systems. He had to send it back in to Samsung 4 times, all on warranty, before he finally gave up on Samsung. Each time they ended up just sending him another system, but it also took a couple months for the turnaround. 2 times they sent him the 'new and improved', or they upgraded him, but the boxes kept failing.

We bought one a couple years back, can't remember the brand, but it was a $500 system, and a name brand, but the sound was punk and we ended up taking it back instead just keeping our old stereo receiver feeding 4 floor speakers from the TV.

I'm sure someone will come on and say I'm fullofshit, but that's what I know of it.

Good luck, hope your search goes better than mine.

^^Samsung Audio is junk. TV's are great but they can't do sound to save their lives

At the price range, its gonna be a HTIB. A lot of people don't like the idea of one and building a system is indeed far superior but my Onkyo HTIB is damn amazing. I personally would stay away from Sony, Samsung or any of the shit you can find in a best buy. I am biased to Onkyo and Denon because I've used them the most in a couple different family members abodes as well as mine. Denon is gonna be well out of your price range however

^^Samsung Audio is junk. TV's are great but they can't do sound to save their lives

At the price range, its gonna be a HTIB. A lot of people don't like the idea of one and building a system is indeed far superior but my Onkyo HTIB is damn amazing. I personally would stay away from Sony, Samsung or any of the shit you can find in a best buy. I am biased to Onkyo and Denon because I've used them the most in a couple different family members abodes as well as mine. Denon is gonna be well out of your price range however

Pioneer is rated right up there with Denon. I picked up a Pioneer VSX 1021K home theater receiver instead of the comparable Denon only because the feedback I found said the Pioneer reproduced music a bit better while the Denon did comparably better with the video reproduction. In the end I think both are about the same. I still haven't found the quality speakers I want so am still using my 4 floor speakers.....lol

I haven't used any new age Pioneers so I can't compare accurately however I have SEVERE doubts Pioneer comes close to Denon when comparing mid-range to mid-range

Can't say I know for sure either, only going by what info I could dig up before buying. It does sound pretty awesome though through my 4 spkrs. I'm holding out for a good set of surround speakers to see how that sounds.

I like having a self powered sub. With a amp preamp and disc changer. You'll get better quality out of that as opposed to just a reciever. I could piece together a set for about $600-700. But if your limit is $700 with TV that will be tough to do.

A couple notches below what I have but should still be pretty awesome. As for TV, I'll see if I can't find some sort of deal

Amazon.com: Onkyo HT-S5400 7.1-Channel Home Theater System: Electronics

I'm confused.... why do you need high end equipment to listen to mariachi bands:confused:

Klipsch 5.1 speaker set, pioneer receiver. Done. Great sound for around $700. I would say go with a couple floors and a couple bookshelf speakers but then you are getting into the $13-1500 range. Although you may be able to go in and get a great deal at best buy, I used to work there and know that home theater equipment was like 50% markup so you have some room to negotiate. Although HH greg works on commission so you may have better odds there. Still mad I didn't get the Klipsch/JBL/Pioneer set up I was looking at before I quit. $1500 in equipment for $700 shipped to my house :/

Amazon.com: Onkyo HT-S5400 7.1-Channel Home Theater System: Electronics

+1 on the Onkyo HTIB's. That one is a newer version of the Onkyo setup I have and I really like it. It's not top of the line but it sounds good and for the price you'd be hard pressed to beat it

+1 on the Onkyo HTIB's. That one is a newer version of the Onkyo setup I have and I really like it. It's not top of the line but it sounds good and for the price you'd be hard pressed to beat it

Wow, I may end up buying one of those.

where I come from its Hot Tamale In the Butt :lol:

but seriously its a Home Theater in a Box. At the budget you're looking at it, it really is your best option. Hell my budget was $700 for just the audio system and the best deal was still an HTIB

the sub in that is the same sub I have. I have it turned nearly all the way down and it still has good output so I think he'd be happy with it. Speakers are pretty decent and the receiver is definitely capable for an average user