Geocahceing

mrfry

Anybody try this? I went for the first time the other day with my brother. Our 3rd stop we were questioned by curious police officers.They thought we were tresspassing or doing illegal things. They ran our licenses and found we had no records or warrants and let us alone. It was quite humerous.

I started about 2 years ago, but haven't in a while. There was a site... I think its http://www.geocaching.com/ where you can look up caches in your area. My sister got me into it. She and a friend were once in the woods looking for one and came up on a buried box. The rain had washed away dirt so you could just see the top. They dug it up thinking it was the geocache, it was a revolver, with bullets, serial number filed off. They called police and they approached the scene with extreme caution. They ran licenses and all that... They had to go back in to show police where it was.. Never heard another thing about it.

We had to explain to them what we were doing with alot of detail. I don't think they were totally convinced. My experience wasn't as exciting as finding a gun lol. Either way I will probably just stick to my usual hobbies.

I've been considering getting into this for a while. I'd be all over it if I could hunt down caches way out in BFE southeast Ohio - half the fun of hitting the twisties out there is getting lost and seeing what there is to see. Though this could easily lead to me trying to offroad, which would probably not turn out well...

So basically people leave things like a log book somewhere then tell you where to find it then you leave it there....I'd rather pan for gold.

Edited by Gump

I've gone multiple times locally and several on a trip to a state park. It was fun, except for the one cache which no longer existed and was previously located in an area that became a dumping ground for trash, needles, and used diapers (saw a dung beetle rolling a baby nugget out of one).

The fun of geocaching is that it's like hide-and-seek with electronic toys. Sometimes interpretation is required when reading the GPS and its coordinates in order to figure out where stuff should be. Also, it's fun to see how active some caches are or aren't.

-b

• 2 weeks later...
I started about 2 years ago, but haven't in a while. There was a site... I think its http://www.geocaching.com/ where you can look up caches in your area. My sister got me into it. She and a friend were once in the woods looking for one and came up on a buried box. The rain had washed away dirt so you could just see the top. They dug it up thinking it was the geocache, it was a revolver, with bullets, serial number filed off. They called police and they approached the scene with extreme caution. They ran licenses and all that... They had to go back in to show police where it was.. Never heard another thing about it.

Sounded like someone's zombie day cache. it's what high points are for ;)