'96 CR250R builder special

Helmutt

My '96 CR250R is completely tore down for rebuild after a transmission scatter a couple seasons ago. I've been wanting to rebuild it ever since but I just cannot muster anymore money, time, nor patience to invest in it so I'll start with the brief history for anyone insterested...

I bought this bike almost 3 years ago and replaced the wornout OEM bodykit, also got a new FMF Powercore 2 silencer for the Gnarly pipe that was already on it. Got it together and the bike performed flawlessly -- took it out 3 times that season, first couple rides were just short local hops but the 3rd ride was at Richland's Furnace ( Chilicothe ) with 3 other riders - taking the access road we were all clipping along in 4th/5th gear when mine suddenly locked.

The transmission countershaft bearing seized and the shaft bound in the journal, blowing out the clutch case. It wiped out a couple gears as well. Loaded it up, brought it home, and instantly initiated teardown - I started looking up the parts needed to repair it, and Honda wanted $350 for the case half alone - way too expensive for me, so I sought after a complete engine from Ebay and bought it for almost the same price. Once I got the replacement engine, I gutted it to examine what was good on both to build one good engine. In the meantime, I ordered all new OEM engine bearings, all new OEM seals / complete gasket kit, and some new hardware. I have everything necessary to build a bike except for the patience and multitude of hours to do so.

I'd like to get $700obo for everything as I've invested this much in the replacment engine and new seals/bearings/hardware alone.

I'd rather sell as a whole than part it out as I need my workbench space back asap :D

Here's a list of what's included.....

All new OEM bearings

All new OEM seals

New OEM complete gasket kit

Some new hardware

1 good transmission w/spares that survived the scatter

2 good cylinders - one stock bore, one bored out ( believe 68.5mm )

2 good crankshaft assemblies - one OEM, one Hotrods

1 good Wiseco piston for the bored cylinder, the ebay engine had a bad topend but the cylinder wall looks good

2 good carbs - one jetted for FMF Gnarly, the other I assume is stock

2 good case halves

2 clutch housings

2 clutch baskets w/pressure plates - one in stellar condition, shows wear

1 good clutchpack, 1 partial clutchpack as a fiber fragged when the trans seized

2 stator covers

2 rad valve assemblies

2 stator assemblies

1 CDI

1 Coil

2 powervalve assemblies

Kayaba stock forks are straight and leak-free

Rear shock is straight and leak-free

Swingarm and linkage is good and straight

Subframe is good and straight

Frame is solid and straight but needs stripped - I had the bad idea of undercoating it :( crap didn't stick

Front wheel is good but tire needs replaced

Rear wheel is good and Millville has tons of life in it

Both front and rear brake systems/rotors are good and leak-free but pads may need replaced

Clutch and brake cables are good

Set of Fly handlebars are tweaked just a little but good

Clymer service manual

Edited by Hellmutt

I wish I had the room for another project man!

Me too man, I'd like the 2 workbenches back for some space again.

Anyone interested can check my profile, I've got a dedicated album for it

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Last year for the chromoly frame, engine/trans needs assembled and there's more than one engine here - buyer will have a spare cylinder, rod n crank, clutch basket, carb, mag/stator, clutch housing, clutch cover, stator cover, cyl headcap, etc. I had a bad idea of trying to undercoat the frame, so the white scrathes here n there are where I took my fingernail to it, obviously didnt stick at all so it would need blasted or stripped before repaint or pc.

Also has an almost new UFO black bodykit that was ridden with a few times but no decals or anything on them so be a blank canvas for whatever the buyer wants. The seat is in good shape with a OneIndustries cover, no rips or tears. I'm throwing in a brand new Thor armored undershirt with shoulder, elbow, back armor.

Edited by Hellmutt

Yes sir, its all there and then some since the 2nd engine is mostly all there too. The po of the engine said the topend was bad but had a solid bottom end, thats all I was really after at the time as Honda wanted about the same money for just one case half. When I gutted the 2nd engine I did find the piston skirt had blown apart and ejected out the exhaust port, no damage done to the cylinder but I only have my old piston to rebuild with - so minus some trans gears, a clutch fiber or two, one case half, and a piston.......theres 2 engines. I will get some more pics of things I missed (exhaust, bodykit, seat, bars) but with all that I've already bought, the bike only needs a front tire and tube to be back in riding condition (aside from the hours and hours to reassemble:D). For it to be running AND look good, the bars are a little tweaked and could use replacements, the frame needs stripped and painted or pc'd, and maybe a graphics kit too

Holy crap I would love to play with that.....

Come n get it! If you dont want to build it, I've seen used cylinders alone on egay going for half of what I want out of the whole kit n kaboodle - I am not looking for a profit what-so-ever, I just want my work benches and some floor space back in my garage - so trying to pass this project to anyone willing to take it on at a hell of a deal. Parting things out are a hassle imo since they take so long to sell everything and usually end up giving a bunch of it away in the end just to get rid of it. I'd rather damn near give it all away to get it all gone once and take a loss now vs. spending a lot of time selling this n that just to end up losing money in the long run anyway

Would you be interested in a trade of anything? Shotgun maybe. It's a Remington 887 26" barrel. Bought in October and has 4 rounds through it. Yes 4. Was looking to get into clay shooting and just haven't. Plus cash of course.

• Upvote 1

Would you be interested in a trade of anything? Shotgun maybe. It's a Remington 887 26" barrel. Bought in October and has 4 rounds through it. Yes 4. Was looking to get into clay shooting and just haven't. Plus cash of course.

Pm sent

:D yeah, I told ya its deep stuff when you look at the whole project top to bottom - wish I could find the parts manual I printed off, but the catalogs are free for the lookin' through several sites.

Think I used servicehonda more than anything, and its nice to see a parts list with the assembly breakdowns. Time consuming stuff man, hence my prior dilemma - by the way, did I thankyou? :D

So after looking at the manual.. im kinda in "O shit..WTF did I get myself into" Mode.

Nice to meet you and the wife.

I've been there too!

IMAG0602.jpg

Heres my best advice.

Take one part; for example the engine. lay it out on the bench, and do everything for the engine. Once the engine is done, proceed to the frame, chassis(suspension, whatever else) just take it one piece at a time. Take your time, and be very methodical about your work. Check specs, notes, multiple times, and follow service manuals to a T. Take tons of pictures, make a project thread. Just go step by step. It will take time, but it will be very rewarding in the end. Especially the first time you crack into that 2 stroke and the front end comes up!