'96 CR250R builder special

Helmutt

The biggest problem is that its completely apart. so I have all new gaskets and bushings and hardware. but its all just part numbers. so I dont know where it goes per say. some are obvious. but others are not. luckily I have the Flapper valve together on 1 and Ill be able to reverse the process on the other. that was on part i was worried about. and the kick starter. ill try to post my progress..

This is why the parts manual is crucial to use on reassembly - you get a parts list along with an assembly diagram - damn, i wish i could find the copy i printed but let me see if i can get another copy downloaded at work this week - then when we meet up for the ammo/flywheel puller exchange, I'll hopefully have a hard copy to hand you.

In addition to the factory manual, I would occasionally be looking at the fische. Sometimes the exploded views are helpful to check where parts go and check that you have all the stuff too.

Here's good link

http://www.powersportsplus.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/1996/CR250R+A/parts.html

Edited by mello dude

In addition to the factory manual, I would occasionally be looking at the fische. Sometimes the exploded views are helpful to check where parts go and check that you have all the stuff too.

Here's good link

http://www.powersportsplus.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/1996/CR250R+A/parts.html

this!!

this along with factory service manual is a great combo....used the hell out of both rebuilding the quad

I have a new copy printed from ServiceHonda with OEM part numbers to guide you - much better exploded views than the pics in the service manual, plus the bolt/fastener item descriptions show you measurements to ensure you've got the right bolt in the right hole.....dont want to bottom out a long bolt and risk fraggin' a case or pull threads from a short fastener. We'll get together this week sometime man

So i finally started putting the engine together last night. Last night I got the read valve disassembled and cleaned out and put back on with new gaskets. I also put the water pump inpeller on and the water pump seperator and cover. tonight I disassembled the Power valve, cleaned and put everything back in the head. i also ordered new Head Bolts.

Im lucky to have Prenger Implement only about 3 miles from my house in a super small group of houses called Egypt. And they are a Honda dealer that can get anything Honda in. and they will do service also. much nicer than having to run to Troy for parts if i screw them up, like I did the water seal on the water pump impeller.. oops..

Other than that the build is going well so far. talked to my uncle tonight and he said that in just over a month there are dirt drags at the county fairground. I would like to have it ready for that but that could be pushing it.

i also ordered new Head Bolts.

Could have sworn I'd ordered new head cap studs and nuts, as well as new cylinder studs and nuts. Did you go through the box of new hardware to make sure? Sorry if I hadnt man, I typically hate reusing torqued fasteners like those but its possible I missed them:dunno:

If you're south towards my place, hit me up and if I'm home I will get you that copy of the parts book and the flywheel puller, otherwise next week we can get together

Update on the build. I have the 2 center cases together. And almost all the components in the right case. Just have to finish buttoning up a few screws and the clutch packand the right side case cover can go on.

I'm pretty excited that it's going faster than planned. I have to bring my frame down to Piqua this week for powder coating at AFI also.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I started it today!!!!! i have a small oil leak from behind the front sprocket and the kick stater doesnt always engage, but I put it together all myself and it runs and rides awesome. so thats a huge weight off my shoulders.

Just thought Id throw out an update for anyone interested.

I also bought a pair of Fox Racing Pants and jersey, Thor Q1 Boots. and soon buying a Off road helmet. Any suggestions are welcome.

Post up that vid you sent me of it all together and running - impressive work my man, you definitely put in the time and effort. Also if you are home this weekend, I have a like new helmet and goggles for DIRT cheap - think I used them 3 times, and got a complete wash inside and out every time. Seriously, like new

Hiring someone who has never done it before May be the worst idea in a while. haha. Jk. But I wanted it ready for the dirt drags and now it is. And that picture was right after I put the engine nothing was hooked up not cables ignition exhaust or plastics. That was only 2 days ago though. I'm uploading the photobucket app now. I'll get some posted.

Think you know more than I do at this point with it, its done man! You went through the whole thing top to bottom and minus some adjustments to make with the kickstart and such, its a running bike

c50f74f9.jpg

This is all the pieces and parts and stuff I received from Hellmut.

8a54b2e9.jpg

I heated up the cases to about 220 so I could just drop in the bearings which I had put in the freezer the day before. Redneck shop oven!!

472d1c1b.jpg

Cases together.

9f097468.jpg

Some of the beers I drank.

3149fa07.jpg

Engine together

94a47119.jpg

Hellmuts undercoat job that for some reason or another just didn't want to stick. Wish it would have because it seems like it would have made for a nice frame.

7e32d2d4.jpg

About 20 minutes later after some degreaser, water hose, scrub brush and wire brush. All the white is the factory powder coat.

f1a11b26.jpg

frame painted. Went with white because I figured when it gets chipped it will still have white factory powder coat under. And forks on.

98c878d2.jpg

Engine in and swing arm and rear suspension on. seat and tank just sitting on to get an idea of what it will look like.

[ame]http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q535/ajclune/ee3aa080.mp4[/ame]

Bike running. I also adjusted the idle screw after this video. It's not surging like that anymore. Idles really nice. Some people say that 2 strokes can't idle. That's crap.

For some reason I can't get the rear break working. Gonna take the caliper apart right now and clean it and start at zero with the fluid.

Thanks for checking it out.

Edited by shadyone
Added idle remark.

I really wish I would have taken more but that was the last thing on my mind when i was putting it together. and most of those were just ones i took when my brother from florida wanted to see how it was going...

No doubt AJ brought his A game to the rebuild, its a good bike and tons of power down low with the FMF Gnarly on it. The rear brake worked fine before disassembly, so hopefully its nothing drastic man. I wouldnt think that sitting around would cause any problems since the teardown but hoping its a simple fix. Kudos on the work!