Any Hibernians out there?

okeefe01

I have been thinking about joining the Acient Order of Hibernians for a while, but I just never got around to it. I got some info from them on St Patrick's Day, but I thought I would check to see if anyone here is or has been a Hibernian before I sign up. I am not sure what to expect.

I have Irish ancestory, I'm Catholic, and I love Guinness, so I should fit in right?

My sister is (as of last weekend) a "champion" level Irish dancer. (think of it as the equivalent of an expert race license)

Through her dance school, I have met several Hibernians. Never joined, because frankly I can drink, hang out, and be Irish without belonging to a club.

Nice people for the most part, but I have encountered some wacky ones who had boarder-line racist views. I am fine with joking about racism, but these people (and it was only a handful) legitimately felt that the Italian girl and the black girl shouldn't be going to world level competition in Ireland. Of course THEIR Irish daughters should be going instead.

So it's probably 90% parent politics and 10% racially motivated, but I've seen it from a (very) few Hibernians.

My sister is (as of last weekend) a "champion" level Irish dancer. (think of it as the equivalent of an expert race license)

Through her dance school, I have met several Hibernians. Never joined, because frankly I can drink, hang out, and be Irish without belonging to a club.

Nice people for the most part, but I have encountered some wacky ones who had boarder-line racist views. I am fine with joking about racism, but these people (and it was only a handful) legitimately felt that the Italian girl and the black girl shouldn't be going to world level competition in Ireland. Of course THEIR Irish daughters should be going instead.

So it's probably 90% parent politics and 10% racially motivated, but I've seen it from a (very) few Hibernians.

Agree, I am almost full blooded Irish but these people are super judgmental and honestly most wont give me the time of day because of the way I look. IDGF though. I'm also not involved in an church and they frown upon that.

Edited by hollywood3586

ahhh the Irish, the only ethnic group to migrate to the US in the 1800's lower on the totem pole than us Wops :D

on that note I have a friend that was considering doing the same but backed out for some reason or another