Welding newbs...watch this

Gump

Thanks Gump so much, after watching this video it inspired me to become a welder. So I bought one from walmart. Now after 3 tries I'm tiging aluminum like a boss.

1st try

aluminum-bad-weld-boat-fact.gif

3rd try

TIG-PULSED-GREAT.gif

Dang. For real? What did you buy. Looks good. I've never done aluminum. I need a spooler for my 220v Hobart.

Edited by Gump

Good vids. And flounder if you are looking for a welder pm me on what you are looking for maybe I can help? If it's made by lincoln.

Sounds good.. If I had the money right now I would be all over it. Unfortunately, there are allot of things I need around the house this year and I doubt I will be able to afford one. Im looking at building a 24x40 outbuilding. Know anyone that does concrete reasonable. ? :)

Thanks Gump so much, after watching this video it inspired me to become a welder. So I bought one from walmart. Now after 3 tries I'm tiging aluminum like a boss.

1st try

aluminum-bad-weld-boat-fact.gif

3rd try

TIG-PULSED-GREAT.gif

Funny! Walmart welders, eh? They must have a slew of them at the Easton factory where they build bicycle frames...;)

Form isn't bad but it's not hot enough, not penetrating. That's why the weld looks like it's sitting on top of the metal. Those are not strong welds. Turn the power up a notch then your wire speed might be right but you may need to increase that also. IMO.

Hmm.. I used the settings recommended on the welder. 26 volts and 460 wire speed. Maybe I was just rushing the stinger. :dunno:

My first few had real good penetration and even burn through the other side. Those pics are of the last one I did. It was already after 3:30.. and we all know how that goes. LoL..

Not hot enough for sure. Is the polarity backwards? Not sure how it would effect it honestly but it gets flipped sometimes for certain changes if others are using it. I always go by the chart, then tweak it.