CBR F3 Shock - How do I remove stuck end shield

just_some_dude

I have the spring off, taken the gas chamber apart, drained all of the oil, but I am having a heck of a time getting the end shield off. Just was wanting to get some advice.

They suggest you take a punch and try to pop it out, but my is just getting damaged and I don't really have any leverage anymore.

I'll get a pic soon, but here is a similar shock, so you can see what I am talking about... there area where the punch is.

2.jpg

Holly phuck man - have you ever had one off before? You don't drive the punch into the hole, you just use the hole as an edge to tap the cap off in the axial direction.

Never had one stuck before, you don't even need it in the vise. Just tap-tap-tap-a-roo, a little on each side, just walk it out. Use a metal hammer, it'll help.

I agree with brn6604. I use small punch with steel hammer and tap tap...with angle towards clevis (bottom). if you need more than that force something is wrong.

just be careful not damaging the shaft, scratch will cause oil leak by damaging oil seal.

One way to shorten shock length is put 3/4" spacer between circlip and part seal the shock body. (sorry I do not know the name, but the oil se4al and dust seal does in)

Edit: sorrt for my careless post. 3/4" is a lot and make sure shaft length.

Maybe ok with streetbike, but will topped out on mx for sure.

another way is shorten by custom clevis.

Eitherway, you want to make sure not only fit, but works.

Try this guy, he is very engineering mind and a lot of expericence with Honda shock modicication. He gave me a lot of tip when I was on Superhawk and did new to me ZRX fork and shocks. He got machined clevis for modifiation.

Jamie 260-710-4049. Tell him "referred by Tak"

Here is his website.

http://www.daughertymotorsports.com/

Edited by mcdoggy2000