250r rear tire size?

abdecal

Does anyone know for sure how wide of a rear tire you can put on a 2012 Ninja 250r? I tried researching this but some are saying they have 170 and some are saying a 150 will not fit. Need some help! (130 is stock)

Caught this quote from an engineer on a Ninja 250 site... Would you agree? Keep it stock?

I'm an engineer and I'll tell you to keep the stock sizes. There are so many things that go into designing the suspension on a motorcycle and the tires are part of it. You change that and everything gets outta wack. When they redesigned the R6 to give it 70 sidewall tires instead of 60 sidewall tires they had to redesign the whole suspension system and geometry just to get it to handle right again. If your not an engineer and plan on re-engineering the whole suspension I wouldn't change the tires.

Why do you want to switch from a 130 to a 250, what is the perceived benefit to you? I don't think I could believe it would fit without pictures either; in fact I doubt you can even get a rim that would fit that tire in the swingarm (250-130 = 120mm == 4.72in)

-Edit-

I misunderstood the title (250 is a standard rear tire size) but the point still remains; why are you trying to get a bigger rear tire on your 250r? Doing a little guesstimation math, the 150 should work no problem at least but I'm not sure I would recommend it. The wider rear is usually meant to keep the rear planted with more power (which you don't have) and adding more tire will add more rotational mass (thereby decreasing acceleration). As said above, the bike was designed in many aspects with stock parameters. Although it was not designed like a supersport, it was still thoroughly engineered that way for a reason.

Edited by imprez55

I went with 1 size wider than stock on my 2004 250R that I had and it fit ok. There is no reason to go much wider than that since the tire will be pinched on the rim and wear and handle incorrectly. A 130 to 150 is more than adequate for street riding unless you are just going for looks. If the 130 didn't work well on the bike, the factory would have never put that size on to begin with.

isn't the tire on it brand new?

Personally, I wouldn't spend a whole bunch of money on the 250 because i'm willing to bet next season you'll want to get rid of it

Yeah. 200 miles on it. I wanted to go with a wider tire for looks mostly. But I think you're right, I will probably be in the market for a new bike next year so no need to drop money on the 250. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but as I get more seat time I will want more power.

isn't the tire on it brand new?

Personally, I wouldn't spend a whole bunch of money on the 250 because i'm willing to bet next season you'll want to get rid of it

Yeah, I only had my 250 for 6 months before I got tired of it.

My girl want to go lower side wall but I would not go wide back tire. Unless you think you are going to need a float in the swimming pool. LOL

I don't know why but I cracked up at this. I pictured someone floating in a motorcycle tire in a swimming pool.

After some research into the subject I found it can inhibit my safety. Safety is more important to me than the bike looking better so I'm not going to do it. It's to bad though, the 250r looks like a bicycle from behind,lol

Changing tire sizes will effect your handling/safety. I would NOT recommend.

If you are already considering a bigger bike don't put a penny into the 250 beyond maintenance and upkeep. People want to buy stock used bikes!

I had fun putting money into my '08 250r. In the end though, it was still a 250. That being said, now that mine is gone, I want another stock one. They are a blast.

Not sure what other sites you are on but I liked ninjette.org and kawiforums.com.

People want to buy stock used bikes!

depends on the person and mods. I'd much rather buy an already modded bike if they are the mods I want. The seller has already incurred the cost of parts and labor and I don't have to do shit. Also makes it easier to resell in my experience. The longest its taken me to sell a bike was my stock 636