CNC Programmer Wanted

Likwid

Job link: http://www.steris.com/about/careers/job.cfm?job=5268

Here are the details I have, if you have a specific question let me know and I can ask the recruiter.

We’re going to be using Mazak Lathes & Mills

The programming tools will vary but include Mastercam, Esprit, Edgecam & Bravo 7

Hoping for someone that will be able to program and troubleshoot machine level controls as well as software.

Non-Exempt, full time with benefits.

machining can be boring and poor pay or awesome and lucrative, depending on your inclination and your access to the machine.

if you are content to languish in the button pusher position, then yeah, it's boring as fuck and depending on the job, not terribly lucrative.

if you learn quickly and don't crash it (too much lol) and have some decent access to the machine, then you can make some crazy fun shit on it and break 6 figures quickly if you're not totally retarded with cad/cam.

but that goes for any industry, i guess.

good luck finding someone. the pool is a bit sparse right now, but i'm sure the steris name will draw some people looking to make moves. i don't get much opportunity to program anymore (and never really had to get my hands too dirty on the floor since I always kept a programmer around one way or another), but would love to do some more once things calm down a bit.

I never know what you guys will go for :) lol

And jbot, of course you wouldn't be interested, the 1% is never interested in working :D

lol i WISH i could be programming again.

I am a Star swiss lathe set-up guy and currently learning Solidworks and Partmaker since Partmaker is the only one with swisscam.

I also run some Mazaks with Mazatrol, but just writing the programs conversational right there at the machine itself. Right now I set-up all the time on the Swiss.

Jbot is right, I could never be a button pusher, just chucking parts...that is the worst. Setting-up and programming are the rewarding parts that take skill.

All the fuckwits where I work push my buttons. Does that count?

This!

Jbot is right' date=' I could never be a button pusher, just chucking parts...that is the worst. Setting-up and programming are the rewarding parts that take skill.[/quote']

And this. Nice to see you got a job in the trade Nick.

You should try the supervisory aspect of the job. The stupid questions never stop. Then answer a question without asking if they're fucking dumb.

This!

And this. Nice to see you got a job in the trade Nick.

You should try the supervisory aspect of the job. The stupid questions never stop. Then answer a question without asking if they're fucking dumb.

Thanks and only took 2 years...lol. An aerospace company gave me a shot last year and I showed them what's up! ;) lol

Within a month got a big raise and they made me the head setup guy on the star, also training me on anything I want. My coworkers shit how fast I moved forward they tell me. I got lucky getting the job. I love the trade man.

Sorry for the jack.

Edited by NinjaNick

Jbot is right, I could never be a button pusher, just chucking parts...that is the worst. Setting-up and programming are the rewarding parts that take skill.

Loading a part wrong or making a slight miscalculation in the program can be alot more fun than chucking parts :) I remember my first day of cnc, actually it was my 1st 10min on the job... I loaded a part wrong(wasnt pretty) and some guy on the machine behind me programed his shit wrong(this made me feel better about just misloading a part) needless to say the boss was not happy and I was surprised I still had a job...

Thanks and only took 2 years...lol. An aerospace company gave me a shot last year and I showed them what's up! ;) lol

Within a month got a big raise and they made me the head setup guy on the star, also training me on anything I want. My coworkers shit how fast I moved forward they tell me. I got lucky getting the job. I love the trade man.

Sorry for the jack.

Glad you got a in with a company you like. Keep it up...learn every machine you can! It just makes you more valueable as an employee and it also makes the resume that much better. Thats what i did. I started on a small Mazak lathe and ending up on a large CNC boring mill taking every opportunity to go to a different machine inbetween. Now im a programmer using NX8 with the same company. (Jack over)

(On topic)

As jobt said the pool seems to be low on people that know what the hell they are doing. I actually had to explain to a newly hired guy thats "been in the trade for years" what SFPM and IPM were and how to figure it. The good thing is that you can tell who's got it, not gonna get it or is smart enough to get it with alittle help pretty quickly.

• Upvote 1

Wow. Feeds and speeds were like day one of the machining classes I took in high school. One of the shops I apprenticed at gave me a handy little slide rule-type calculator that would figure that stuff as long as you knew the cutting speed for the material you were working. I bet three people on here even know what a slide rule is.