Out of the Sun

ReconRat

Riding into work Friday morning. Got up late. Sun rising behind me. Cars can't see me coming. Usually I stay behind a car, and let the car clear the way. Same for foggy mornings.

But traffic was rather light, so it was time for Kamikaze out of the Sun!

Warning, this behavior is not recommended for multiple reasons.

When I spotted cars waiting to turn left in front of me, I'd drive straight at them. Weaving to show the headlight moving around. Sometimes flashing high beams too. And reducing speed as approaching to give them more clues that I was there. Until it's clear they see me and aren't turning. Look them in the eye. And then Boom! down shift and blast past their vehicle. No, I don't do that to school buses. Don't trust them. I try to hide behind cars when I see school buses trying to turn left.

Really, just stay behind a car in the mornings that the Sun is behind you. But watch for an occasional vehicle trying to turn suddenly behind your car in front. Same for fog. If none available, just reduce speed and work at getting attention of approaching vehicles. Logic would say stop and wait for 10 or 15 minutes till conditions are better, but we seldom do that.

For some reason, not sure if true, I think that people have a primitive instinct for seeing something that is moving straight at them. Sort of a survival instinct.

From what I've read, mixing up the headlights to have some combination of white/bluish white/yellow works very well at catching attention and making people try a lot harder to see what is approaching.

I sort of wish there was a headlight that could switch color temperatures, and change color.

edit: I've got a bright aux LED headlight kit, it's about time I installed it. But technically, the larger the diameter of headlight, the better it works at getting attention. You don't want to look like a slow moving bicycle.

Edited by ReconRat

Just ride with blinding xenons like I do. ;)

But it is true, cars don't see you with the sun in their eyes. I find swerving works well. People in the lane next to me hate it, but meh. I think they understand when I only do it as I'm nearing an intersection.

i disagree with flashing your brights....if i see someone driving towards me flashing their brights, i would assume they are signaling me to pull out

Good point. Yeah, that's a West Coast thing. Flashing will set them in motion. I'm more likely to put the brights on and leave them on for a while.

Sooo, no flashing on/off, too risky.

edit: Seriously, in California if you're stuck on the side of the freeway and can't pull out, the cars will flash headlights to let you know to get moving. They will make a spot. Not sure what other parts of the country do that, but that would be a mistake if not meaning to give that message.

Edited by ReconRat

...When I spotted cars waiting to turn left in front of me, I'd drive straight at them. Weaving to show the headlight moving around...

I use this technique almost everytime I ride. It's something the instructor mentioned in my MSF course.

People have a hard enough time seeing bikes, by weaving or moving in a way that is not normal when approaching them

the movement will usually snap them out of any day dreaming trance they are in.

I try to do a little wiggle weave whenever I come up to a intersection or side street where

cars are present that may pull out.