WWII Historical appraiser

Cdubyah

Anyone know of a WWII memorabilia appraiser? Looking to get an Iwo Jima landing map appraised. A quick Google search found a guy in Utah that buys and sells. Looking for someone a little more local.

This is currently in the possession of my grandmother. From what she has told me it sounds authentic based on the signatures and markings on the map. Just trying to help her out, and I'm curious as hell to find out.

Thanks for any leads.

Let me know if you have any leads. My great Uncle was a demolitions engineer on Iwo Jima. He also still has a bunch of the maps he used from when he was there. Some he has mounted in a frame on his walls. Kinda cool to see where they wanted things blown up by his company.

I do a lot of research with WWI diaries right now. The value is mostly in their connection to the family. Now, if the map has MacArthur's signature, it would be worth contacting the National Archives or a Museum. Appraisals are really only good for insurance purposes. With memorabilia, for the most part, something is worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. Often the appraisal costs more than what the item is "worth".

MacArthur's signature probably wouldn't be on a US Marine document. But Chester Nimitz would be the guy. Secretary of the Navy James Forrestal, Major General Harry Schmidt, General Graves Erskine, Colonel Chandler Johnson, Sergeant Mike Strank, photographer Joe Rosenthal, photographer Louis R. Lowery, or the guys that raised the flag, Franklin Sousley, Harlon Block, Michael Strank, John Bradley, Rene Gagnon and Ira Hayes; those would be great signatures to find. All involved in the attack on Mount Suribachi and the raising of the flag on Iwo Jima.

Other commanders would be:

Holland Smith

Marc Mitscher

Alexander Vandegrift

Clifton Cates

Keller Rockey

I'd get a value, and start trying to find one of the national or US Marine museums that would like to have it. The donation would probably be tax deductible for you, if it's a non-profit.

Also, there's been seven US Navy ships named Iwo Jima. Any still floating would love to have it.

Since the OP only expressed it was a "landing map", my reference to Mac was due to him being the commander of the the Southwest Pacific and his policy of "island hopping" at the time. I'm sure you'll pardon my lack of specificity.

Again, without some notable signature, the appraisal will probably cost more than what the document is worth. Just my .02

The donation would probably be tax deductible for you, if it's a non-profit.

I agree with this completely. It is unlikely that a museum would pay for the document but they would gladly give you an assessment of its value and offer you a donation receipt - which would not require an appraisal because they do all of that in-house. If you decide to go that route, shoot me a PM. I have some contacts at various museums and archives you could talk to.

Yeah, I've not actually seen this. She said it was a coordinates map. My fault.

She's looking to sell it unfortunately. Took it to a traveling antiques show, they had no clue. Said they would call some folks, took a couple of pictures, and said they would call her back. Have yet to call back.

dang it, I thought I posted this. Trying again...

The official US Marines museum has been in operation since 2004.

Details of artifact donations and contacts:

http://www.usmcmuseum.com/CTA_Donate.asp

From this website:

http://www.usmcmuseum.com/index.asp

I'm on a war relics forum and they have some guys that will help you.

Take as many close, clear pics as you can and then post them in the appropriate section of the forum.

Go here: http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/index.php

I'd post in this section;http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/docs-paper-items-photos-propaganda/

They can give you an idea of value and of places to sell it if you're so inclined. There is also a classifieds section where you can list it for sale if you wish.

Best of luck with it.