Project Cheapskate...

magley64

Damn looks really good!!

thanks! It doesn't look bad, but I can see all of my body work, I really should have done a better job, but the g/f was itching to get some practice time in.

I didn't want to take forever reapplying bondo, re-sanding, re-applying, resanding until it was perfect, so i did 3 passes, hit it with primer a few coats and went to town with the paint.

Color coat was a couple puff cans of Duplicolor Perfect Match from auto zone, one of the major auto company's factory color (I forget if it was toyota or chrysler).

Clear coat was 9 or 10 coats of PPG Omni clear with 10% reducer to get it to flow easier.

Cheap HVLP gun from home depot to apply it.

I kinda wish i still worked for the paint company; I could have used their SATAjet. ($2000 spray gun)

I started clear coating kind of late, and since i have no paint booth, I did it outside.

As I was doing the final coats, it was getting dark. I had my spray pattern pretty well memorized, so I wasn't worried about missing anything.

However, when I brought it into the garage after painting, it had a nasty haze to it thanks to the dew...

SHIT!!!

Luckily it cleared up as it dried... WHEW!

Next morning it looked as good as i had expected.

Edited by magley64

Yeah, she's gonna keep it for now at least

She's gotten pretty good with the clutch so far...

Just parking lot, but she's not stalling very often anymore.

hopefully by the end of the season she'll be ready to do some 2 lane open roads.