Shotgun found disguised in Super Soaker

chevysoldier

As long as the barrel stays 18.5" I don't think its illegal to make it look like a squirt gun, Teddy bear, dilldo, ect is it?

barrel has to be 16.5", overall length must be greater than 26".

What's damning this guy is that he put it in a very short chassis without a buttstock. You can't convert a rifle to a pistol like that - it becomes an AOW (any other weapon) and requires tax stamps and BATFE registration.

I've seen genuine rifles inserted into "toy" rifle stocks - usually high-end airsoft polymer jobs - that are perfectly legal. The Ruger 10/22 into P90 stock comes to mind:

Yea I got that. Was just wondering about the altering part of it.

The way I read the story it wasn't a legitimate shotgun inside the toy gun - it was an improvised shotgun / "zip gun". That is illegal under California Penal Code 12020 (A) (1). A "zip gun" is any device that was not imported as a firearm by a licensed importer AND not manufactured as a gun by a licensed manufacturer AND no tax was paid on it, nor tax exemption granted AND is made or altered to fire a projectile by an explosion.

Funnily enough, if he had put a REAL shotgun inside a supersoaker he'd have been fine as long as it still met length requirements.

barrel has to be 16.5", overall length must be greater than 26".

What's damning this guy is that he put it in a very short chassis without a buttstock. You can't convert a rifle to a pistol like that - it becomes an AOW (any other weapon) and requires tax stamps and BATFE registration.

I've seen genuine rifles inserted into "toy" rifle stocks - usually high-end airsoft polymer jobs - that are perfectly legal. The Ruger 10/22 into P90 stock comes to mind:

I have a p90 airsoft and I'm considering either putting a 10/22 in it or my paintball gun

These are becoming more and more common. We received an officer safety bulletin with several of these in it. And people wonder why cops point guns at people holding "toy" guns. One of my buddies bought a pink and white Hello Kitty AR15 for his daughter.