Market Speculation

buildit

Time for a financial game....:D

Place your bets! The Wall street world is closer to Vegas than you think! So pick a horse and place your bet. Don't worry the money isn't real and all you win or lose if face. :lol: You choose 1000 shares of three stocks under $100,000 today (DOW fell 200+) and see where it goes.:rolleyes:

So I'll start:

Stock FB 1000 Buy at 27.75 = $27750

JPM 1000 Buy at 32.00 = $32000

FTR 1000 Buy at 3.50 = $3500

cash remaining $36750

I can sell any of these stocks later and use the cash to buy a more expensive stock, but can only hold 3000 shares at any one time.

Now let's see where I am as time goes by...... Anyone else Wanna Play? ;)

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

investopedia is a great way to do this IMO, I think you can even compete against people directly from the app. I would be interested if you did it that way because I do not want to track everything myself and have been wanting to try my hand at investing anyway.

Investopedia.com has a game similiar to this and you can track your progress and don't need to know math!!

If you don't know math, stay out of the market. :p Besides this is just for fun and as a smaller group will make it easier to follow. Just an idea, maybe a bad one. :o

If you don't know math, stay out of the market. :p Besides this is just for fun and as a smaller group will make it easier to follow. Just an idea, maybe a bad one. :o

Managing the stock market and investing is much more of a lesson in history and psychology than math. I know, it bought me my motorcycle :).

I would be the absolutely most boring at this because I growth invest I don't value invest enough to make quick cash. Good money now is doing things like forex if you can manage it.

Watch for companies like JPM who are such heavy hitters they can control the swing of the market when they decide to invest in something (which is contradictory to a free market due to their ties in with the federal reserve (as a bank not necessarily JPM specifically)). Read anything by Benjamin Graham :bow:. If you follow the news you'll be much better at investing than those who are great at mathematics.

Here you go i set a private game up on Investopedia.com.

Game name is: ORDnet

Password is: BOOOSA

Just about the same rules

$100K start

Max 50% of start money can go into one stock

Minimun $5 a share buys (no penny stocks)

blah blah blah.....the rest is on the site.

I cant set a game rule to limit you to 3 stocks but lets just keep it at a max of 3.

I have no idea what im doing as far as trading but i guess i will see what happens. Will be interesting to see what i can do.

I have no idea what im doing as far as trading but i guess i will see what happens. Will be interesting to see what i can do.

This is similiar to how me and my friends started learning the stock market years ago only we all decided to go in with $500 for real, it came pretty apparent, pretty quick who knew what things like M.O.S.S. and Dividend pay out schedules were. Do your research and you can make good money, just don't ever mistake it for things like "Well this company makes money so they'll have great returns."

JPM recent had their whole 'scandal' in the news and their stock dropped like $8 over a week, nothing changed but Jamie Dimon had to fire some people, but people sold off stock like the bank was going under out of a few bad apples.

Always invest in good management/leadership. Stick to things like products you use and things that interest you too so you don't have a problem reading the dry Wall Street Journal articles. AND if you want to get on the mathematic side of it, study balance sheets and financial statements, that's your true picture of historic performance of a company: Strong bottom line, good management, and a market leader, good company.

Here you go i set a private game up on Investopedia.com.

Game name is: ORDnet

Password is: BOOOSA

Just about the same rules

$100K start

Max 50% of start money can go into one stock

Minimun $5 a share buys (no penny stocks)

blah blah blah.....the rest is on the site.

I cant set a game rule to limit you to 3 stocks but lets just keep it at a max of 3.

Well you can always post results here and others can use it to track their investments/ bets. :lol:

As for what TMCGRAW said, this may be true but just like managing price differences at the grocery store a understanding of math allows you to evaluate the indices used in stock marketing. The psychology, history and socioeconomic understanding allows for predictions on the future rise or fall from the indices. Kind of like counting cards.:rolleyes:

I tried to follow what buildit had going on. It looked like he was trying to see who could make the most with 3 stocks and 100K

Just three stocks so that it's simple and 100,000 so we don't get stocks like google and apple. It's just a game / exercise because I'm curious as to what people would do. Right now a lot of people are keeping the 100,000 and doing nothing because of the market volatility. However, I believe that the average person can successfully play the market with a little attention and pier feedback .

As A side note I'm down $70 for the day. I am hopeful that the market will find it's footing Monday as it is not uncommon for people to jump ship over the weekend in a volatile market. I also noticed FB held around the $28 mark all afternoon. A sign it has hit bottom and is ready to stabilize till some real numbers are released?

As A side note I'm down $70 for the day. I am hopeful that the market will find it's footing Monday as it is not uncommon for people to jump ship over the weekend in a volatile market. I also noticed FB held around the $28 mark all afternoon. A sign it has hit bottom and is ready to stabilize till some real numbers are released?

As of now im down $260 and ohdaho is doing to good himself on the OR game that is set-up. We shall see what happens by the time the closing bell rings.

As of now im down $260 and ohdaho is doing to good himself on the OR game that is set-up. We shall see what happens by the time the closing bell rings.

That's what I'm waiting for. FB is still sucking. I am pretty shocked at 2/3 the ipo price I figured some one like google would start buying it up for a hostile take over.

I'm playing too. I'm buying NO stocks, but instead sticking that $100,000 into a Jumbo money market account that currently makes .84% APY compounded daily (Per this link and this link the BEST account would actually be at 1.05%APY).*

I'm betting I won't be last.

*Note: If I was investing $100k of my ACTUAL money, this is NOT how I'd do it.

Royal Gold up 3%:D

Hopefully the other 2 rebound and get in the black. Either way i think im getting out of apple to by more RGLD and something else i can get more volume of. This morning i sold 10 shares of Apple to buy another 73 shares of RGLD. I should have sold all of it.

Edited by 20thGix