is this the future of sportbikes?

cOoTeR

I'm very impressed with how far they've come, but electric bikes are still hunting for a 100mph average.

A decent rider on a 600 does the IOM course at 115-117 average speed. That's a big gap for the time being.

We have been playing with electric for a bike for some time and it is really an issue on cost and technology. The amount of time, the amount of money, etc... All too high right now. Someday, but in the end, there are a VERY small % of people that will buy such machines and an even lower % of companies that will produce and make money at it...

I'm very impressed with how far they've come, but electric bikes are still hunting for a 100mph average.

A decent rider on a 600 does the IOM course at 115-117 average speed. That's a big gap for the time being.

Yeah but they've got to start somewhere. If the aerodynamics work do you think it'll be adopted by other manufactures?

Yeah but they've got to start somewhere. If the aerodynamics work do you think it'll be adopted by other manufactures?

Right, and they are 100 years of development time behind combustion engine vehicles. I'm impressed with the rate of progress, but they're a few break-throughs away from being practical, viable, and cost effective.

The aero stuff is an interesting question. I can't believe cyszs (I'm sure I spelled that wrong) is coming up with aero ideas that Yamaha and Ducati and Honda haven't considered on their GP bikes, but I suppose it's possible.

I just look at the sheer number of engineers in the major outfits versus the relative few at smaller shops. Then again the Buells and Cyczs's of the world are probably a lot less likely to fire an engineer for suggestions that go against conventional wisdom.

We have been playing with horseless carriage for some time and it is really an issue on cost and technology. The amount of time, the amount of money, etc... All too high right now vs hay and grass. Someday, but in the end, there are a VERY small % of people that will buy such machines and an even lower % of companies that will produce and make money at it...

:-) Fixed it for you.

I have been lusting after these for so long. The very thought of putting a race track or dirt bike track in the middle of town and flipping the bird to all the NIMBY noise bastards is a wet dream come true.

Czyz was thinking about trackdays with the swappable battery packs. I just wish he would sign up with a manufacturer to get these bikes out. Economies of scale and adoption is what is needed now to lower the cost/price.

he has been attempting to build this bike for a while. he had a series on a few yrs ago maybe about him working on the prototype and all the f-ed problems they came across, might be on netflix?

That was a show on Discovery HD which is now Velocity. I beleive the show was called "Birth Of A Racer" but it was when they were attempting to get into MotoGP racing. They started the electric bike venture after their MotoGP attempt failed. I believe one of their biggest hurdles of the GP bike was that once they finally had a good bike, they dropped down to the 800cc bikes and screwed them. They had developed the whole bike and engine from scratch and then couldn't even use it to compete in Moto GP class.

They started the electric bike venture after their MotoGP attempt failed.

I wouldn't call their MotoGP effort a failure. They produced the 990cc bike only to have MotoGP switch to 800cc. They did sell a few street going versions of the bike and one was actually in Wallstreet2:smell of money or whatever that one was called.

I was kind of hoping they might rekindle the MotoGP bike now that MotoGP has moved back to the bigger motor but with the future in on electric, I guess not.