Antivirus software

Tomcat0403

If you are using IE as your browser, I would stop.

that's what you think the first one was with firefox so what else you got?;) it has little to nothing to do with your browser. hackers are way ahead of that game. most viruses and trojans now come from hoax websites. so as soon as you click on the link you're downloading it. most of them bypass any kind of security shit in any browser.

Edited by serpentracer

that's what you think the first one was with firefox so what else you got?;) it has little to nothing to do with your browser. hackers are way ahead of that game. most viruses and trojans now come from hoax websites. so as soon as you click on the link you're downloading it. most of them bypass any kind of security shit in any browser.

Buddy of mine is an IT guru, he said that more threats are alive and targeted in IE because it is the industry standard. He also said that any virus protection you pay for, is in theory loading shit onto your computer that is a hi-jacker and is very hard to get off.

Buddy of mine is an IT guru, he said that more threats are alive and targeted in IE because it is the industry standard. He also said that any virus protection you pay for, is in theory loading shit onto your computer that is a hi-jacker and is very hard to get off.

:wtf:

Maybe with Norton. After removing NOD32 I couldn't find a trace of it!

muhahaha... sorry, had to laugh. It's way more complicated than it appears.

Most would agree that the AVG or Avast will do well for free protection.

I would back that up with occasional scans with Malwarebytes and Superantispyware as necessary.

AVG and Avast are ACTIVE scanners, that are on all the time to protect. Install only one.

Malwarebytes and Superantispyware are PASSIVE scanners on demand. They are excellent. Use both.

I don't know much about the free Microsoft Essentials yet, I'll work on that.

In the end, the only real long term protection, is to be able to re-image your computer when it's beyond saving. The modern alternative, is to run a virtual machine, which cannot be damaged like an ordinary operating system. Another alternative for the hard core, is to run a browser and operating system from a CD or DVD. Obviously that cannot be attacked.

edit: Another modern alternative, is running the browser and operating system from a bootable USB drive.

Edited by ReconRat

anyone use mcaffee?

At work.

Absolutely cripples machines when it's doing it's thing.

Finds the baddies, but is unable to anything about some of them other than to say "Hey! You've got bad stuff on your machine!"

Piece of crap, but the sales rep based outta Cincinnati was a piece of @ss...

:wtf:

Maybe with Norton. After removing NOD32 I couldn't find a trace of it!

there's files and folders all over your computer you'd never find. ever have a look in your registry? it would take you 6 months of looking for something in it.

and forget about searching for something with search. if you don't know the exact file name you'll never find it that way.

that's why things are usually not a name you would associate with. usually it's just a random pile of numbers or letters buried way down in the registry.

anyone use mcaffee?

Off and on again a big fan. But mostly for the old DOS version to scan with. Or bootable current version from a CD. At one time it was the only way to get at polymorphic viruses. They would change faster than you could catch them, if the operating system was running. I don't use it much anymore.