Dunlop Sportmax Q2s

jschaf

I changed over to the 55 profiles a couple of sets ago & like the quicker turn in over the 50s. I have run & liked the power 1s but feel they are a bit pricy & questionable for rain. Thanks for the feedback.

No first hand experience' date=' but I've ridden with some guys that say they aren't as confidence inspiring as the Pilots. Your results may vary.[/quote']

I can say with 100% fact and real world severe testing and results, the Q2s are as inspiring as any tire I have ever ridden that has been dual duty. People that claim they are not so are usually people that are traditionally one branded or only aware of one style of tire and when they try something new, it is usually outside their comfort zone.

Q2s are some of the best tires. I've pushed them at the track and feel the front is one of the best tires I have used outside a full on race DOT. It is somewhat slower on turn in than I would prefer, but after a small chassis change, that feel was removed.

I totally agree with Brian. These came stock with my R6 when I bought it.

I figured I would burn them up on a track day and not waste race tires. I found them to be very good getting up to temp and no issues with grip. In fact I started to push them and forgot that they where not my race tires.

They do have limits but for a duel purpose tire they are amazing. The Front has a round contour compared to the V shape of my race tires. Because of this they are a little lethargic to turn in but that is mostly noted when its compared to my race tires.

Edited by c7fx

Glad to hear all the positive input about these, I bought a set earlier this month and I'm anxious to test them on my big porkchop-of-a-bike at the track. I went back to the 55 on the rear for these as well, I have Roadsmarts in a 50 on my street set and there's noticeable lack of turn-in in comparison - but its not a big deal for everyday use in traffic.

I went through a couple sets last year and a couple sets the year before. Last year included 2 race weekends on Q2's, and I was always at least in the top half if not the top 1/3 of the field.

For street/track duty, theyre a great value. Hell, I would consider running a 211 front and a Q2 rear if I could heat the rear on "low." that would save quite a bit over the course of a race season. If I were to do endurance, I'd consider running Q2's anyway. By the time the tire starts to overheat, the rider will be sucking wind and slowing down anyway...

I went through a couple sets last year and a couple sets the year before. Last year included 2 race weekends on Q2's, and I was always at least in the top half if not the top 1/3 of the field.

For street/track duty, theyre a great value. Hell, I would consider running a 211 front and a Q2 rear if I could heat the rear on "low." that would save quite a bit over the course of a race season. If I were to do endurance, I'd consider running Q2's anyway. By the time the tire starts to overheat, the rider will be sucking wind and slowing down anyway...

You really should avoid using warmers on the Q2s. It isn't designed for that and unless very cold, you are killing them quicker than without.

Endurance racing is a terrible idea. The Q2 is a great cross over tire. There are a few brands with such a tire. But understand that the idea is to be a street based tire at least as equally if not slightly more than half the time. So, they will come to temp a lot quicker than a race tire obviously. That coming to temp or optimal operating range is something where it starts to limit the use of a tire.

I think for track day use (It's most aggressive category for which it was designed - not racing) it can make sense on a budget for a starting rider to even an "I" rider. Beyond that which should be a racer pace, they will fall off very quickly.

I wouldn't be able to make it to the half way point in a 10 lap sprint before they'd come off. We would have them coming off by lunch time at the Race Orange events and if we were at a track day where we ran full sessions on our own, I would destroy one in the first three sessions.

The point is that in endurance at even a lesser pace than a sprint race (Really, your endurance times are only going to be slightly slower), the tire is by no means going to last even an hour before it falls off and you have to start riding around it.

Racing? Race tires. Novice to Intermediate rider? Q2s or similar. Advanced? Race tires suggested for optimal performance at a pace you should be at. You cannot advance in your riding if you are out riding the tire or having to settle for what the tire can give you. In running endurance, consistency is key. We've ran faster lap times at the end of a stint than at the start a lot of times. But, if we did slow down and even on a shit tire, we'd be within a second at the worse. In endurance, it is about management and consistency. If you fluctuate from start to finish, you need to be working on those two things more so.

Anyways, DO NOT use warmers on a tire like a Q2 even on low which is around 150 degrees on a two stage warmers or 135-ish on a three stage warmer.