Motorcyclist says Dallas crackdown went too far

Strictly Street

I don't mean to sound like I think all LEOs are assholes, but I venture to say the majority of them are. And I say this with nothing more then 2 speeding tickets on my record, so it is not that I am generally a trouble maker and blame LEOs because I can't follow rules. I say this based on growing up in a LEO house, and seeing and hearing them talk about the public in general.

Gotta disagree with this. My dad was law enforcement and 1of my best friends is a Columbus cop, and I hang out w/ him and his cop pals quite a bit, and I think they're generally good people. I agree they talk trash - but so do I and I'm a pretty decent person most of the time. I also think much of their "attitude" is more bravado than anything else. Not to justify any cop being an asshat, but much of the time they're dealing with people who are the dregs of humanity and/or just butt fucking stupid. Constantly dealing with douchebags may make some cops somewhat jaded - it would me - but I don't think that makes the majority of them assholes.

IMO the perception of cops is very similar to the perception of bikers. A person may not think much of bikers in general because of the actions of a small percentage and, similarly, a person may not think much of cops because of the actions of a small percentage. The majority of both groups is much more similar to the "general public" than dissimilar, but those aren't the ones who make headlines or stick in our memories.

• Upvote 1

The perception of cops is very similar to the perception of bikers. A person may not think much of bikers in general because of the actions of a small percentage and, similarly, a person may not think much of cops because of the actions of a small percentage. The majority of both groups is much more similar to the "general public" than dissimilar, but those aren't the ones who make headlines or stick in our memories.

Most intelligent thing I have read in a long time.

Dear 8 pounds 5 ounces baby Jesus, new born, not even spoken a word yet, can we PLEASE post this as a sticky at the top of every motorcycle forum on the internet?

IMO the perception of cops is very similar to the perception of bikers. A person may not think much of bikers in general because of the actions of a small percentage and, similarly, a person may not think much of cops because of the actions of a small percentage. The majority of both groups is much more similar to the "general public" than dissimilar, but those aren't the ones who make headlines or stick in our memories.

:bow: Nicely put.

Pretty much a decent motive, but bad method. Didn't think that one through.

This isn't a friendly group ride, this is packs of stunters cutting up on crowded freeways.

Remember those videos from the Texas freeways a while back?

Stunters in packs hitting cars and dying on downtown freeways?

Yeah...

Dallas Boyz in the news again

Stunter crash video

thought... technically they could consider this collection of evidence in an on-going investigation of the stunter crash and death in 2010. At that time Dallas indicated that charges might be filed against the other riders. Still wrong method, really needed a subpoena to collect the camera. But, in order to do that, would have to hold at the scene to preserve evidence until the subpoena arrived.

I'm guessing the judge would have to be woken up, and it was near an end of shift. Just too difficult to accomplish on short notice. Now, on the other hand, a previously written subpoena on hand for camera footage, that's a winner. Except that's a blanket request, and most need to be specific against an individual. Difficult, but times change, and I would expect a method to evolve to make this happen as needed.

Edited by ReconRat

I'm guessing the judge would have to be woken up, and it was near an end of shift. Just too difficult to accomplish on short notice. Now, on the other hand, a previously written subpoena on hand for camera footage, that's a winner. Except that's a blanket request, and most need to be specific against an individual. Difficult, but times change, and I would expect a method to evolve to make this happen as needed.

I already said it... Exigent Circumstances allow for the warrantless seizure of evidence that could be easily destroyed. A judge must review the seizure prior to the evidence being used, supposedly.

http://www.ncids.org/Defender%20Training/2004%20Fall%20Conference/Exceptions.pdf

Exigent Circumstances. A warrantless search is permitted when probable cause to search exists and officers reasonably believe that contraband or other evidence may be

destroyed or removed before a search warrant could be obtained. Mincey v. Arizona, 437 U.S. 385 (1978). Likewise, exigent circumstances also permit a warrantless entry or

search while a warrant is being obtained, and may excuse the failure to knock and announcement” before entry. United States Cephas, 254 F.3d 488 (4th Cir. 2001); State v. Harris, 145 N.C. App. 734, 562 S.E.2d 499 (2001); State v. Woods, 136 N.C. App. 630, 571 S.E.2d 592 (2000).

Exigent circumstances exist when there is a situation that demands immediate action necessitating unusual action and circumvention of usual procedures. State v. Nance, 149 N.C. App. 734, 562 S.E.2d 557 (2002). The state has the burden of proving that the exigencies of the situation made search without a warrant imperative. State v. Allison, 298 N.C. 135, 257 S.E.2d 417 (1979).

Circumstances which may be sufficient to qualify as exigent for purposes of a warrant exception include the probable destruction of evidence, such as controlled substances.

State v. Nowell, 144 N.C. App. 636, 550 S.E.2d 807 (2001). The exigent circumstances exception may apply where police are responding to an emergency or where there is a compelling need for official action and no time to secure a warrant. State v. Phillips, 151 N.C. App. 185, 565 S.E.2d 697 (2002).

Edited by Scruit

I already said it... Exigent Circumstances allow for the warrantless seizure of evidence that could be easily destroyed. A judge must review the seizure prior to the evidence being used, supposedly.

http://www.ncids.org/Defender%20Training/2004%20Fall%20Conference/Exceptions.pdf

I understand that's normal practice. I also think it's hard to argue that a known camera on a known bike ridden by a known person typically as a standard practice to take videos of stunters would be considered a vital need to take without a warrant. The knowledge was there, the judge and detectives should have been ready. Not leave it to a patrolman to try to get it. (Who got the wrong one anyway, duh...)

edit: I also don't understand why anyone would have to go to great effort to obtain any of the videos, when they are posted all over YouTube and the internet from cars, bikes, aircraft, and the stunters themselves! Ok, I'm clueless.

Googling... tons of stuff.

One group called StuntDFW

Somewhere back in maybe 2007, a car knocked 3 of them off the road, and ran for a police station. (Deliberate sideways slam each one at a time, swerving across three lanes to get them.) They chased, kicked, punched and shot the car, but didn't stick around at the police station. Rumor was the driver was a cop, but nobody thinks so.

Utube video 2005

edit: OOPS! sorry deleted the first one, that was Ruff Ryders LA stunters - Los Angeles

Utube video 2007

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3ONXvTjkKs&feature=plcp

Utube video 2008

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZT6-Tez5xU&feature=player_embedded

Utube videos 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfhSLqMd4J8&feature=related

They shut down a downtown freeway in 2011. (pics) (edit: this kinda looks like the 2010 event, not sure...)

http://www.wfaa.com/news/crime/One-biker-arrested-in-Memorial-Day--I-75-shutdown--123569489.html?gallery=y&c=y&img=0#gallery-image

Edited by ReconRat

Raw video could hold more info (faces, conversations, names, more of the route taken, meeting points, closer views of the bikes etc) - the stuff posted on youtube will have been sanitized and identifying info removed if taken by a member of the group - or will have been recorded by people not familiar with the riders and will only show the anonymous bikers with covered up plates.