Pics of the storm

ReconRat

It's now listed as a "Super Derecho". 80-90mph winds that traveled 700 miles in 12 hours from Indiana to the coast in Virginia area.

At it's max, it equaled a category 1 hurricane.

"Derecho" of Power Storms Slam 700 Miles of the US

Here's what it looked like when it started near the Chicago area.

608141826.jpg?key=960720&Expires=1341089581&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=kmPV-07k-9A5nXlinI7BgeGgMP4NWx-bhZY50UPzrGwO0sChYw-NInLkYPplQrn1F0DPx4yB9z4Uk4FXgLWUGCGhZ0576AER6ZgWXhJHnCzMEH0FlsfnSyqEQqt00MFC0gv7zEYf-zfK7fIZ8MWeK03nOfK4VjKr0oE%7Edxz6Img_

super+derecho+starts+in+chicago.jpg

Edited by ReconRat

btw, that only 20% chance of rain for Saturday isn't cutting it. There's a line of storms marching toward central Ohio. So some parts in an East-West line will have one storm after another. Doesn't look like much rain, but storms they are.

edit: It's changing already, looks like moving to Southern Ohio. Still a fair batch moving across central. 8-9pm.

edit again: It burned off, it's gone, nevermind... still some on it's way, but not much, or not anytime soon.

Edited by ReconRat

I wish I had some pictures of it while I was driving my train through it...

Sadly, the FRA frowns upon "electronic device usage" while running the engine...

I'll say this though.

We stopped for 20 minutes right in the middle of it, and the winds were rocking the 432,000lb engine...

i wish i had some pictures of it while i was driving my train through it...

Sadly, the fra frowns upon "electronic device usage" while running the engine...

I'll say this though.

We stopped for 20 minutes right in the middle of it, and the winds were rocking the 432,000lb engine...

damn!!!

dang, looks like a vortex to me...

Yeah....I'm not sure what to call it. Our landlord wants the image because he swears he will be able to use it to argue the damage to one of his rental properties came from a tornado to his insurance company. I don't think he'll get far with that but the pic is still cool.

Yeah, well it was going in the jet stream path for a reason, but Meso events are really about unstable air masses. All the very hot air down low, wanted to be up high.

When the storm started, it was small. But it started an exchange flow of hot air down low for cool air up high. A cascade type event occurred, that influenced even more of the hot air down low to head upward. Which in turn brought more cold air down. Since the lateral movement across the ground was high, it spread out instead of being a single massive storms (I think, not sure.) Causing again more hot and cold air exchanging. All developing into a frontal system of rotating storms, pushing a pressure and temperature front across the ground in front of it.

Basically becoming a ripple in the atmosphere. A shock wave. There's even a very ultra low sound from stuff like this. You'll see birds and animals fleeing before it gets here. I didn't hear it coming...

edit: I looked up some stuff on Meso storms, and they mostly don't describe it this way, but I do. The majority of the cold air coming down is in a single vortex in the middle of the storm. If the front is curved, the leading edge of the curve (the center) is where the major downdraft is located. It's big, really big. It's basically a tornado in reverse. That's why I call it a jet stream slapping the ground. Picture it as something like cleaning your driveway with a stream from a hose. Air or water, doesn't matter.

Edited by ReconRat
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, well it was going in the jet stream path for a reason, but Meso events are really about unstable air masses. All the very hot air down low, wanted to be up high.

When the storm started, it was small. But it started an exchange flow of hot air down low for cool air up high. A cascade type event occurred, that influenced even more of the hot air down low to head upward. Which in turn brought more cold air down. Since the lateral movement across the ground was high, it spread out instead of being a single massive storms (I think, not sure.) Causing again more hot and cold air exchanging. All developing into a frontal system of rotating storms, pushing a pressure and temperature front across the ground in front of it.

Basically becoming a ripple in the atmosphere. A shock wave. There's even a very ultra low sound from stuff like this. You'll see birds and animals fleeing before it gets here. I didn't hear it coming...

edit: I looked up some stuff on Meso storms, and they mostly don't describe it this way, but I do. The majority of the cold air coming down is in a single vortex in the middle of the storm. If the front is curved, the leading edge of the curve (the center) is where the major downdraft is located. It's big, really big. It's basically a tornado in reverse. That's why I call it a jet stream slapping the ground. Picture it as something like cleaning your driveway with a stream from a hose. Air or water, doesn't matter.

I'm kind of a weather junkie. My dad was a weatherman in the Navy and was also a cop....so when I was a kid we would go storm chasing. Literally driving 80mph after a wall cloud through the densest part of the storm and hail cores. Was a lot of fun and I've been hooked ever since.

When I saw the radar on Friday I knew it looked abnormal. Just like you say the curve or the center of the storm (shaped like a boomerang) was headed just north of where I was and right at Newark. And sure enough that area of Newark where the center of the "boomerang" was headed has the most amount of damage. I was standing there and it was calm and within 30 seconds trees were sideways. You could definitely hear a very low guttural sound coming from it and I also heard trees snapping in the distance about 10 seconds before it hit. Was very strange to be outside as it came in. Definitely a weather event I'll never forget.

Rode from the Newark area all the way down to Mcconnelsville today and there is damage the entire way. Many, many trees uprooted, houses twisted and roofs off. It's crazy to think it's like that all the way to the coast.

Derecho 2012