Macbook Disaster

Lilbit

Buy a PC ;)

I have a PC and a macbook pro for myself but when my son was five I let him use my old imac and he has been using macs ever since except at school. And I will not let him near my computers! I am not looking forward to a trip to the Apple store.

Well depending on how old the macbook is, you could probably just unscrew the bottom cover and try putting it in rice with the cover off. MacBooks are sealed so tight I doubt anything will happen unless you do. Chances are your screwed though and need a new MoBo.

Sugary drinks are the worst for computers because if you don't actually take them apart and fully clean them with isopropyl, there will always be a residue. Without seeing it open, there isn't much to recommend and unfortunately it might just be toast. Is it just not turning on or anything? FYI, lenovo thinkpads come with a spill-resistant keyboard now (up to 25 centiliters).

Youre screwed.. Problem one, getting/letting your kid have a 2K+ computer. I understand wanting to provide for your kid but common sense should tell you that kids inherently break shit and have accidents. Live it up to a lesson learned. Get the kid a $300 laptop until they understand $$$

macbooks have been around for awhile, wouldnt necessarily have to be a $2k+ computer

Depending on what they say at the store, I'd bring it home with a gallon or two of distilled water, a bag of rice and a small rubbermaid tote big enough for the laptop. Separate the mobo from everything and wash the board in the water, dump the rice in the tote and make a flat bed. Throw a wash cloth on top of the rice and sit the motherboard on the washcloth.

safeware.com check this out. they will fix it or send you a check.

Squaretrade.com is WAY better than this complicated site and covers everything except theft. They have a guaranteed 5 day turn around policy on claims which is nice. They cover anything you can plug into the wall or car for the most part including appliances, laptops, cell phones, gps, car stereos etc.

Sugary drinks are the worst for computers because if you don't actually take them apart and fully clean them with isopropyl, there will always be a residue. Without seeing it open, there isn't much to recommend and unfortunately it might just be toast. Is it just not turning on or anything? FYI, lenovo thinkpads come with a spill-resistant keyboard now (up to 25 centiliters).

This right here. You can try the rice trick, assuming you can get the cover(s) off to expose the circuit boards inside as much as possible (to aid in moisture wicking). As for the kool-aid/sugar residue, you're on you own on that one. Either you get a thing of isopropyl alcohol and a shitload of q-tips, or haul it back into the Apple store and plead for mercy.

Youre screwed.. Problem one, getting/letting your kid have a 2K+ computer. I understand wanting to provide for your kid but common sense should tell you that kids inherently break shit and have accidents. Live it up to a lesson learned. Get the kid a $300 laptop until they understand $$$

It was a used macbook that cost $999 new but a friend upgraded and gave it to my son. I don't let him touch mine. Sad thing is he was more responsible at six than he is now. I guess I will take it to the apple store and see what they can do but my son will have to pay me back if it can be repaired.

try packing it in dry rice worked for phones

that's actually a myth. most phones will still work after being dropped in water. hell mine went swimming with me when I fell in the river.

took the battery out and let it sit for a few hours and it still works. then I left it sit on the hood of my truck and it rained on it all night. still works.

of course I have a real phone not a over priced pos iphone lol

Sad thing is he was more responsible at six than he is now.

I feel your pain. At six, they thought it was special to be allowed to use my stuff and treated as such. Now as a teen, and almost teen, they just use it like it's a disposable piece of crap toy. My daughter thinks just because her two year contract is up on her first phone she should get upgraded to a smart phone and keeps asking for an iphone. That little pos phone she has now works just fine as far as I'm concerned. ;)