the wife wants a toy hauler

Hoblick

so the wife was talking about a camper for our travels.

i told her if we were to buy a camper it would have to be a toy hauler, we need to have space for a bike or bikes.

now generally we ride everywhere, but goind out to Colorado was a hual and im glad we trailered the bike. we plan on doing more trips west, and i plan on eventually trying to do more track days.

i showed her some toy haulers, and she fell in love with them.

its not something we are going to be buying soon, so i need to do some research in the meantime.

we will be using our Nissan Titan (9500lb towing capacity) to haul it

my question is anyone have one, and what size?

im trying to determine what size would be good, something that would sleep 4 people well, and haul 2 bikes easily.

just browsing, a 23ft - 25ft seems like it would fit the bill. under 5000lbs weight, can haul 2 quads, or 2 full size harleys (so no issues with my bike, and another, or 2 sportbikes)

decent layout

what is a good price for something like this?

Honestly, buddy just bought a Toy Hauler that is a full RV chassis and avoided the trailer idea. The Toy Haulers are fairly heavy and really wouldn't suggest the Nissan for such a setup unless it is a smaller one. But, smaller means a lot less in terms of living quarters or a shared garage that needs the bikes out to fold beds down, etc.

My opinion is that with the truck you have and the idea of what I would want in terms of size, you really need a new truck or consider a good used RV Toy Hauler. I think he got his for $30k. Van front with a V10 and I think a F450 chassis.

Here's mine

ToyHauler2VMD.jpg

22ft Viking Trek V. I bought it when the recession first hit for cheap but haven't had the money to do too many big trips. I haul it with a 2500 Dodge hemi. It rolls okay down the flat roads at 65mph but in the hills it's a big anchor.

Once on site it is so nice though with a queen bed and two singles. In reality it only hauls two full size bikes, not the four advertised. I run it with a 1700 watt generator that powers everything fine. Pm me if you'd like to check it out some time for comparison. It hasn't moved yet this year. :(

Honestly, buddy just bought a Toy Hauler that is a full RV chassis and avoided the trailer idea. The Toy Haulers are fairly heavy and really wouldn't suggest the Nissan for such a setup unless it is a smaller one. But, smaller means a lot less in terms of living quarters or a shared garage that needs the bikes out to fold beds down, etc.

My opinion is that with the truck you have and the idea of what I would want in terms of size, you really need a new truck or consider a good used RV Toy Hauler. I think he got his for $30k. Van front with a V10 and I think a F450 chassis.

Im looking at the ones that the beds fold up to haul bikes. Im not looking for anyything huge. Just something with enough room for 4 people to sleep in.

My Titan pulls my 6x12 enclosed loaded down, like its not even there. I have hauled a 28' boat with no issues as well. Im sure it could lug a 5000lb camper around

Here's mine

ToyHauler2VMD.jpg

22ft Viking Trek V. I bought it when the recession first hit for cheap but haven't had the money to do too many big trips. I haul it with a 2500 Dodge hemi. It rolls okay down the flat roads at 65mph but in the hills it's a big anchor.

Once on site it is so nice though with a queen bed and two singles. In reality it only hauls two full size bikes, not the four advertised. I run it with a 1700 watt generator that powers everything fine. Pm me if you'd like to check it out some time for comparison. It hasn't moved yet this year. :(

Might take you up on that

You might be better off making one. I've been wanting to get a 24ft enclosed and partitioning off a bit for living quarters and plenty of cargo space. Not the Ritz but will do for a weekend excursion. Plus whatever you wanted to add. Last time I was looking it would of been around 8k for the setup I was looking for.

http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?id=STIHDR02&c=PE&m=all

http://www.borla.com/products/product_detail.aspx?prod_sku=140079

http://bankspower.com/products/show/318/74

Those plus a little work from Dyno Brian would make the Titan much happier towing whatever you decided to go with

I have beenthinking of full exhaust, intake, & a tune from brian

The thing about the camper is ok it's 5000 empty. With two quads, water tanks full, fuel tanks (normally toy haulers have an aux. fuel tank in the bed), all your other shit, it will probably end up being 7500lbs.

Your Titan will always be shifting and hard on the breaks.

You will probably need a WD hitch. Watch the tongue weight. We were talking about a toy hauler, but latest we've been talking about selling both bikes and her atv. Her atv is a RZR so it wove fit in most toy healers.we just done ride our bikes enough, to get a toyhauler. We had a hard time finding a floor plan we liked also as we want a more traditional floor plan. Now I think her talked into a muscle car and regular camper. Good luck in your search.

Your truck should pull one fine with a WD hitch. I've seen people pulling 5th wheelers with their titans, I wouldn't though. Oh an a brake controller is a must, on guessing you have one if you pull a 6x12 trailer. Sway bar might also be advisable. Lots of campers on the market.

Hobs, essentially it's whatever you want, and how you make it work. What I mean is that, if you want a bumper pull setup then you will need to adjust the size for your truck. Being that if your truck is rated for X, you will need to account for everything in the trailer AND in your truck, a big part people miss. You're smart so I won't bore you with much of that part.

The bumper pulls are fine especially the lenghts you are looking at, I'd recommend a 22-24 for your truck, anything bigger and I can tell you 100% your truck will hate you with a passion. 24ft is the most I'd actually recommend for anyone towing with a non diesel and not a V10, even a Hemi, to stay on the safe side with power. The reason I say that is because when towing something, especially this big, you need power to drive OUT of the shit storm you may be going into. Sway, fishtail, etc. can't just slam on the brakes, and hope it stops because it won't.

You can easily get a 22-24ft for what you want hauling exactly what you stated, and be under the weight of your truck. You'll need a brake controller, weight distributing hitch(don't get the wrong idea, this is NOT a fix all), AND anti-sway. IF you are buying new, make them throw all this in for free because normally it's about 500-1000 depending on quality. I've actually seen someone break their trailer hitch off their van towing a boat because they cranked the torsion bars too hard, it happens alot, like I said that is NOT the fix all.

I've been pricing TH's for 2 years now, and I know you are balling, BUT with the new business etc, I would definitely shop used dude. You can get EXACTLY what you want/need for under 10K, actually I've seen some nice ones locally in Ohio, WV, IN for under 7K on Craigs.

I'm planning to put my enclosed and TT on Craig's this Fall/Winter/Spring and upgrade as well. Most likely going to be looking at a 5er though not a bumper pull.

If you have specific questions PM me, I've pretty much rebuilt 2 TT's and know some stupid shit about them.

Excluding the really small mini-haulers, a deisel is advisable.

A friend of mine got a "half-ton towable" keystone(?) hauler that sleeps 4 and is side-loading in the front. It fits 2 bikes there, and then a double bed folds out when the bikes are removed.

There is a rear slide for the master bed, and then the table converts into a third bed (I've slept there) that is surprisingly tolerable.

But my point was that even with what was advertised as a light hauler, he felt the need to upgrade to a deisel F250 within a year.

He may not have needed to, but frankly, you have the same personality type and need to upgrade stuff. If you get a hauler, you are going to end up buying a bigger truck.

Converting a standard enclosed to "live able" isnt a bad option if you don't crave running water and bath facilities. But fold-down beds, a tv, insulation and heat/AC isn't hard. The lack of an onboard water supply and ability to distribute the bikes wherever you want their weight also really helps.

Excluding the really small mini-haulers, a deisel is advisable.

A friend of mine got a "half-ton towable" keystone(?) hauler that sleeps 4 and is side-loading in the front. It fits 2 bikes there, and then a double bed folds out when the bikes are removed.

There is a rear slide for the master bed, and then the table converts into a third bed (I've slept there) that is surprisingly tolerable.

But my point was that even with what was advertised as a light hauler, he felt the need to upgrade to a deisel F250 within a year.

He may not have needed to, but frankly, you have the same personality type and need to upgrade stuff. If you get a hauler, you are going to end up buying a bigger truck.

Converting a standard enclosed to "live able" isnt a bad option if you don't crave running water and bath facilities. But fold-down beds, a tv, insulation and heat/AC isn't hard. The lack of an onboard water supply and ability to distribute the bikes wherever you want their weight also really helps.

Upgrading is my concen, I keep leaning 5er from the start. Not sure how much we will use it until we get one though and a 5er and a diesel is a bog investment.

Say what you want about the full size Japanese trucks, but at 22-24 Toy Hauler loaded and the thing is going to be right on the edge of the limits it can handle with ease. I've seen guys pulling 6x12s with Cadillacs before. Doesn't mean it is doing it well as say, a truck would.

All I know is that in the years we've been racing across the country, we've seen a lot, towed a lot, heard a lot and experienced a lot. Toy Haulers are smaller than people intended them to be, they are HEAVY when loaded and really are not that friendly to under powered trucks.

Do whatever you want. All I know is if I am looking at a smaller Toy Hauler, you might as well just get a camper for the bed of your truck and stick with a cargo trailer. You get to a site late at night and wanna sleep and it is raining and you gotta unload to get to the fold down beds... You'll love it right up until that point. I know I was real excited when a buddy and I had to do that at 3am in a thunder storm. We slept in the truck... Really great investment...

Hobs, essentially it's whatever you want, and how you make it work. What I mean is that, if you want a bumper pull setup then you will need to adjust the size for your truck. Being that if your truck is rated for X, you will need to account for everything in the trailer AND in your truck, a big part people miss. You're smart so I won't bore you with much of that part.

The bumper pulls are fine especially the lenghts you are looking at, I'd recommend a 22-24 for your truck, anything bigger and I can tell you 100% your truck will hate you with a passion. 24ft is the most I'd actually recommend for anyone towing with a non diesel and not a V10, even a Hemi, to stay on the safe side with power. The reason I say that is because when towing something, especially this big, you need power to drive OUT of the shit storm you may be going into. Sway, fishtail, etc. can't just slam on the brakes, and hope it stops because it won't.

You can easily get a 22-24ft for what you want hauling exactly what you stated, and be under the weight of your truck. You'll need a brake controller, weight distributing hitch(don't get the wrong idea, this is NOT a fix all), AND anti-sway. IF you are buying new, make them throw all this in for free because normally it's about 500-1000 depending on quality. I've actually seen someone break their trailer hitch off their van towing a boat because they cranked the torsion bars too hard, it happens alot, like I said that is NOT the fix all.

I've been pricing TH's for 2 years now, and I know you are balling, BUT with the new business etc, I would definitely shop used dude. You can get EXACTLY what you want/need for under 10K, actually I've seen some nice ones locally in Ohio, WV, IN for under 7K on Craigs.

I'm planning to put my enclosed and TT on Craig's this Fall/Winter/Spring and upgrade as well. Most likely going to be looking at a 5er though not a bumper pull.

If you have specific questions PM me, I've pretty much rebuilt 2 TT's and know some stupid shit about them.

i am definately not balling :(

i would for sure buy used.

and i get everyones advise about a bigger tow vehicle.

id still like to check out something in the 20ft range and even see if some has one i can hook up to. put some weight in it and see how it hauls.

this is not a purchase id be making anytime soon. its something we started talking about, so im doing my research.

and i appreciate everyones input

I'm on my second travel trailer with my 2007 F150 w/ 5.4L and 3.53 gearing. Last trailer was 6,800 empty - 33' long and the new one is 7,600 empty - 37' long. Your always gonna have people insisting you need a 3/4 or 1-ton truck :nono:.

My "experience" has been, invest in a good weight distribution and sway control system. I have the Equalizer and it is very good. 18 wheelers I barely notice even going in oposite directions on 2-lane roads at 60 mph.

I have no desire to take this rig out west into the mountains, but have towed to the OBX and to Boston/Cape Cod last year w/o any problem maintaining 60-65 mph while getting 9-10 mpg :cry:. Even while passing larger rigs while climbing grades. Yes, the truck will run to 3,500 rpm while climbing some grades in 3rd gear but that's what it's supposed to do.

For the 5% of the miles I tow total for a year, I can't see spending the extra $ in payments and gas the other 95% of the time. Plus the 1/2 tons ride better (IMO).

Good rule of thumbs, take your towing capacity and buy a trailer the is 80% of that weight empty. You should also deduct for your toys since you are buying a Toy Hauler. If you buy new, expect to get 30% off of MSRP. That's a good buy. If you can get more then that's a really good deal.

Now who is this "Dyno Brian" others have referenced:confused:?

What I have learned from pulling trailers. Is going up the mountain is a small strain but going down the mountain is bad when your close to the weight your truck can handle. No matter how good your trailer brakes are the truck will be doing most of the braking. I have caught brakes on fire going through mounts in Cali.