Wanting a KLR

Bradycook

I want a KLR, I think I would have a lot of fun on it.. I have rode my 2004 250 ninja for the past 7 months and put around 15k on it... So I think I'm about ready to move up.. I'm taking into consideration my insurance payment.. Only concern is it is carburated, my ninja is hard to keep running on a cold day, anyone who has one like the carbs? It start easy on a cold morning? Thanks :)

Nah.......go with a Vstrom 650 instead, you will thank me later.;)

This. Unless you're REALLY going to do offroad, and I'm not talking about a groomed firetrail, you'd like everything about the WeeStrom better than the KLR.

The Strom will have way better road manners, more comfort, more reliable, last longer, look better, have way more power, and will still do backroads and 2-track just fine if you want to use it that way.

KLR is the do any thing but nothing well vehicle. I have an 06' and it starts year around, any time, even after an upside down drop. I'm not as impressed with some of the 08+ KLRs as they have many oil burning issues and top end failures. But overall the KLR is 30 year tech, tried and proven to perform. I have lots of video with the KLR going where people say they shouldn't on ADVFilmer on you tube.

It won't with ME on it, but I don't doubt it's capable. These bikes can be set up so many different ways which is one of the appealing things about them. I've got SV stage II cams and an Akropovic system on mine, so it's used more for sport touring than anything.

That's the nice thing, you can use it for about anything and the aftermarket is there to make it happen. I had my Vee set up for more offroading and did a lot of it, but I mangled the bars and panniers in my wreck a couple months ago, so on went the frame sliders and soft bags and it's a sport tourer now!

I will say the 08+ KLR has the same issue the Dl650 has when it comes to any real off road riding. Too Much Plastic to break! Other than that they're the same bike with different engines.

Other than that they're the same bike with different engines.

I disagree with this statement.

There are massive differences betwene the two other than engine type, not the least of which is Kawasaki's absolute shit quality control on their cheaper bikes (like the KLR).

I disagree with this statement.

There are massive differences betwene the two other than engine type, not the least of which is Kawasaki's absolute shit quality control on their cheaper bikes (like the KLR).

Because Suzuki doesn't have issues? :rolleyes: If I recall that wasn't your thinking when your dl650 was in the shop forever.;) Although I agree, as I said before the 08+ KLRs seem to have way to many issues compared to the pre 08 KLR.

If I were looking for a bike that has real dirt potential and is street legal for reasonable money, I would skip the KLR and look at the Honda XR650L. It's a big beast but I've ridden one off road and it's a blast to chug up hills with all that torque.

The DR650 is an even better choice for that.

Oh hell, if we're playing the this bike is better than that bike game I'm playing the KTM 950 super Enduro card.:p

greatpumpkin.jpg

What? Game over, I win? :D Thanks, and good night. :rolleyes:

Edited by buildit

Oh hell, if we're playing the this bike is better than that bike game I'm playing the KTM 950 super Enduro card.:p

greatpumpkin.jpg

What? Game over, I win? :D Thanks, and good night. :rolleyes:

Nah I like my bikes to be known for dependability.:p

Nah I like my bikes to be known for dependability.:p

So how many times has a KTM left you stranded? Never right? So 100% reliable! :p

That said the KLR has never left me stranded either. So they are 100% reliable too.;)

SANY0016.jpg