Deputies shoot, kill man after knocking on wrong door

magley64

lol, since everyone else is posting what happens,

knocking on my door at 2 in the morning makes me confused, if you want to come in, just open the door...

if I know you, you know you are welcome, if you want to rob me, why wouldn't you check to see if the door is locked first?

I don't understand the significance of the gas station, ATM, and Kroger. You live too far away from the police station to be within earshot, and the rest of these things don't really do anything for you at all, at least not that I can see. Care to explain?

I meant that there is no reason for someone who isn't intending to harm me to be at my door at 2:00AM. They need gas, go to the gas station.... they need money for gas, go to the ATM....... need food, go to Kroger. I was making the comparison to someone living in the boonies who might have a stranger knocking for benevolent reasons. I wasn't clear though.

Edit: this is what happens when I get sidetracked between typing a response and submitting said response....lol

Edited by C-bus

So in your mind knocking on a door constitutes a search, and is illegal for police to do?

A warrant with someone else's name and address does not make for a legal search of your property.

Don't confuse my statements as condoning what happened. I do understand how it could happen, though.

there have been similar situations in the past involving no knock warrants. but this is just another isolated incident, nothing to see here, move along....

You do realize his whole family has since been indicted for drug dealing, with strong direct ties to Mexican cartels, his brothers have fled to Mexico to avoid arrest, and pretty much everyone who was once slamming the sheriff's office for "killing a Marine" (Oathkeepers, for example) now recognizes how idiotic their mantra sounds since it has become obvious that he was trying to kill police who were lawfully attempting to conduct a search warrant.

So I can't legally walk up to your front door and knock without a warrant?

Knock is legal. And not answering your knock is also his legal choice. Knock all you want but don't plan on searching without a legitimate warrant

You do realize his whole family has since been indicted for drug dealing, with strong direct ties to Mexican cartels, his brothers have fled to Mexico to avoid arrest, and pretty much everyone who was once slamming the sheriff's office for "killing a Marine" (Oathkeepers, for example) now recognizes how idiotic their mantra sounds since it has become obvious that he was trying to kill police who were lawfully attempting to conduct a search warrant.

So he was guilty by association?

Just out of curiosity...what difference does it make that it was 2 am? Everyone keeps mentioning it. Do bad things only happen to good people late at night?

Because by 2:00 AM the mailman has clocked out, the Mormons are in bed, the unfortunates selling candy bars and magazines are slinging crack, and my friends fear my wife. Who's left to knock at 2:00?

Because by 2:00 AM the mailman has clocked out, the Mormons are in bed, the unfortunates selling candy bars and magazines are slinging crack, and my friends fear my wife. Who's left to knock at 2:00?

So you feel there is a good probability this would have had a different outcome at 2pm in the afternoon?

So you feel there is a good probability this would have had a different outcome at 2pm in the afternoon?

I do. I don't answer my door with a gun at 2:00PM. I do at 2:00AM.

Edited by C-bus

Why would anybody open the door. If you're already concerned enough to arm yourself' date=' why remove the biggest tactical advantage you have by opening the door?[/quote']

Because I'm an adrenaline junkie.......and I just love answering the door nekkid with an erection.

Yes, it would have. I would just shoot the motherfucker that interrupted my soaps.

I do. I don't answer my door with a gun at 2:00PM. I do at 2:00AM.

I agree the guy was a dumbass. I'm armed about 95% of the time, albeit holstered. At night I'd likely grab the Persuader over the pistol.

I would try to identify the person at the door prior to opening, and definitely prior to pointing a weapon at them. Pointing a weapon at a unknown target is stupid and irresponsible. Trying to make a stand against armed assailants in an open doorway is really stupid.

If I couldn't identify them, I wouldn't open the door. If they came through the door anyways, I'd demonstrate what the shotgun is best at.