Obama on new gun control legislation after the Colorado shooting...

Scruit

I haven't judged him for it, in fact it doesn't bother me at all.... The only point I was making was simply that there are other tools for that purpose. Tools that don't include deadly weapons...

So all guns are for killing? A starter gun? A nail Gun? A sounding device using a shotgun shell? Sould we include t-shirt launchers? They are in fact regulated in some states. Where to begin, where do we end?

Edited by buildit

So all guns are for killing?

aahhh for fucks sake...

paintball guns are for painting, nail guns are for putting up barns, and squirt guns are for shooting women in white t-shirts...

Guns that fire bullets are for intimidating, injuring and in extreme cases causing death from those injuries.

can you shoot a hose with it and say "now it's for watering the damn lawn" sure, but it doesn't effect design intent...

goodnight

*facepalm*

re-read.. then come back

done?

I'm fully confident he can bond with his daughter, reardless of the presence of guns...

goodnight.

Yup, I re-read it and still think the same. It's the activity they have chosen to enjoy together. Don't suggest alternatives because you don't like guns.

aahhh for fucks sake...sure, but it doesn't effect design intent...

goodnight

Neither does the perception of hand guns only being for killing. As Lynyrd Skynyrd said, "Hand guns are made for killing, ain't no good for nothing else." And yet they are part of the Olympic Games. Just saying ;)

Night, sleep safe

So sad when some choose to point the blame and fault of inanimate objects, it is rarely ever the fault of the individual behind or using that object. These objects have souls and intelligence, they are capable of making good choices. There are many many inanimate objects that are capable of inflicting serious injury or death. But heaven forbid the idiot using the object be at fault, that would just be too logical.

I think that cars/trucks are probably the single most dangerous thing we do and encounter every single day. How many senseless lives have been snuffed out by a drunk driver or a distracted driver? How many lives have been ruined by excessive speeding or losing control? How many adults and children are in wheel chairs or will never be the same again because of a mistake that was made, or even more so a mistake that somebody else made that fucked them up? Oh but a car is actually a tool, and a means of transportation that we must all have. But I see them as an instrument of death, no matter how safe you are trying to be......there is always a dumb mother fucker out there who is out to ruin your life or your day, or your week, or your month!! Put everything into perspective and just admit that "people" and only people are responsible for their actions.......inanimate objects are not! Yes guns were made as instruments of death "plain and simple", but they are not always used that way. Matter of fact if you took every single gun owner in this country, and you were somehow able to determine what each of their guns have been used for, I will bet the farm that most have never killed a damn thing with them. But most of those owners that have killed, typically have filled their freezer up with some fur or feather bearing creature. So in closing.......guns are tools, yes they obviously are very good at dealing death, but as times have changed so have their purposes. I am glad there are those of you that oppose gun ownership and or especially those of us that have the right to carry, because I for one wouldn't want y'all to own or carry a gun anyways. See it is a win win for all, and even though we don't see eye to eye, know there are many of us that could save your sorry asses if the situation warranted it. Now......I can't wait to go shoot this weekend with my son, tear up some fucking steel plates and paper.....woohoo!!!! I guess we could read a book together, play chess, take a walk in the woods and pick flowers, take in a good movie "maybe not that", or just sit in the same room and just waste our time watching TV. That shit aint gonna happen, I'm teaching my son a life lesson and skills that he can enjoy for a very long time. We enjoy doing this together, and we enjoy doing this with like minded folks. My son will be going into the Airforce before too long, and I am a proud Papa!!!! Oh and there is allot of skill involved in shooting, so maybe some of ya are just lacking in the skill department? GOD BLESS AMERICA, GOD BLESS MY FREEDOM TO OWN FIREARMS, AND GOD BLESS MY RIGHT TO DISAGREE WITH IGNORANT PEOPLE. Oh and if you don't believe in God, I fully respect your opinion and views on that.;)

What are North Korean nukes for?

GOD BLESS AMERICA, GOD BLESS MY FREEDOM TO OWN FIREARMS, AND GOD BLESS MY RIGHT TO DISAGREE WITH IGNORANT PEOPLE.

AND BLESS ALLAH!

gaza-terrorist1.jpg

Edited by ped

sorry your attempt has failed. everything on your list wasn't built with the sole intention for killing people like a gun is.

I know. It doesn't fit in with how this thread turned out.

Alfred Nobel invented dynamite. He knew it would be the ultimate invention for construction and building, and would change the world as we know it. It did indeed. But not the way he envisioned. Firearms share in many ways the same fate.

Design of firearms. Many were invented solely for warfare. Most of those are actual heavy machine guns. Almost no one owns those. And are generally too heavy to transport anyway.

Military firearms are designed to wound, not kill. Hunting firearms are designed to kill food. In our modern world we can even find firearms that are actually designed to efficiently kill or wound people also. Those are the ones most often outlawed and found despicable by humanity. The Gatling gun design, both historical and modern, would be an example. Extremely few people own one of those.

Revolvers were invented to eliminate reloads. Basically so the operator wouldn't be attacked and die while reloading. Important back in the Indian wars. But the threat was animals, not people. That whole "wild West" thing of people shooting each other all the time is for the movies, it didn't exist in reality.

Semi-auto pistols are similar, with an ability to reload rapidly multiple times. This does bring into question an ability to shoot accurately. There is even one design that was meant to stop a moving car.

Shotguns were invented to bring down waterfowl and birds for dinner.

Rifles bring a multitude of designs and uses. Some are weapons of war, and in particular several of the designs were in great part responsible for winning wars. The majority of designs are strictly developments as hunting weapons.

Story time. I watched an English teacher while I was working, instruct a class to begin an assignment on guns and firearms, pro and con, compare and contrast. Pretty much the same thing as this thread. She must have seen me thinking, so she told me her story. She grew up in rural southern Ohio, and was the oldest of several children. Her job was to feed the family. With a rifle, in the woods. I can still find neighbors that hunt and fish to either survive, or supplement the food on the table. Food supplies in groceries are rather a modern invention and have quite fragile supply lines.

Should everyone know how to use firearms for hunting? Only the ones that don't want to starve.

Should everyone know how to use firearms for defense of self and family? Only the ones that don't want to die.

Should everyone know how to use firearms for warfare? Only the ones that want to live free.

Edited by ReconRat
  • Upvote 4

I've only got one question...

does a gun have any "real world" use that doesn't include "intimidation, injury, or "practice" for intimidation or injury...

you claim that it is only an instrument of death because some people chose to use it that way... so convince me...

Do you use it to drill holes in aluminum siding? Do you use it to prop doors open? Do you use it as a paper weight? Is it a tool for snaking out your drains? do you use it to drain the pool? what do you use it for other than to intimidate and injure?

"Target practice" is an obvious dodge of the question because that is just the act of making the user more efficient, you could target practice with a paintball gun or a slingshot, you don't need a gun for target practice.

My girlfriend's father used a .22 to make holes in the ceiling of one of the old theaters in downtown Columbus to give it the appearance of stars when backlit. No killing or malice involved. I know this is but one small example, but goes back to the idea that a gun is nothing more than a tool which is designed to lob a piece of metal over a distance. In his case, that was exactly what he needed.

As far as target practice goes, I enjoy the challenge of improving my focus, fine motor skills, reaction time, ability to track objects, etc. Could I do this by playing golf, or using a slingshot, or some other method? yes. But none of those other methods offer me the inherent precision in a rifle which allows me to detect smaller variances in my skills. I most certainly don't pretend that those paper plates I'm murdering might one day be an attacker who I might need to dispatch. I enjoy target shooting, and the great thing about this country is that I am free to do the things I like.

Well that can't include baseball! A bat is a deadly weapon. And you DID judge him by saying something is wrong with his family dynamic.

He did indeed. He's lying and he knows it. He's done nothing but judge all gun owners in this thread. Blames all of us who own them for contributing to the gun culture (his words), which is why there is violence (his words).

BTW, my daughter CHOSE guns as a hobby to do with me. She asked me when she was six if she could learn how to shoot one. I told her I would teach her someday, and she took to it. We also don't bond over guns to the exclusion of everything else. We also ride motorcycles together, and hike, and see movies, and do a lot of things that daughters and fathers do. Mags is bent, and obsessed, and wants to make a point. Doesn't erase one ounce of the joy I get by seeing my daughter shoot or compete.

Oh but guns, you see, they have no other legitimate purpose than to kill.

Sort of like fireworks. See, they were invented from cannonade, which were weapons of war. And, a firework if used improperly or with malice will kill. In fact, people die every year with their use. If you enjoy fireworks, you're part of the problem. I blame the culture of explosives. I'd bet Magley has used some illegal fireworks in his life. Does he have an explanation for these devices whose sole purpose is to shoot explosive balls of fire? Weapons of war, that's where they came from.

And, those firemen with their pulaski axes? Those were developed from the dutch halberd, the spike being for punching through armor and killing a man. Saving lives by punching through a door is not legitimate use for those...because it was designed as a killing weapon. It has no other use. It can never be used for good because if you swing it at a door, you're imagining swinging it at a person and you're just practicing for death and injury.

Oh, I could do this all day. But, I won't.

Mags and serpent are sad. Truly, and I mean this, sad.

• Upvote 1

Swingset, I would rep you again if I could :D

I've already given him rep like 10 times over this discussion. :D If Magley really wanted to judge the effectiveness of his argument all he has to do is realize earache (the king of troll) is on his side! :p

PS the Olympics are encouraging killing with Fencing and rifle competitions! :lol:

He did indeed. He's lying and he knows it. He's done nothing but judge all gun owners in this thread. Blames all of us who own them for contributing to the gun culture (his words), which is why there is violence (his words).

BTW, my daughter CHOSE guns as a hobby to do with me. She asked me when she was six if she could learn how to shoot one. I told her I would teach her someday, and she took to it. We also don't bond over guns to the exclusion of everything else. We also ride motorcycles together, and hike, and see movies, and do a lot of things that daughters and fathers do. Mags is bent, and obsessed, and wants to make a point. Doesn't erase one ounce of the joy I get by seeing my daughter shoot or compete.

Oh but guns, you see, they have no other legitimate purpose than to kill.

Sort of like fireworks. See, they were invented from cannonade, which were weapons of war. And, a firework if used improperly or with malice will kill. In fact, people die every year with their use. If you enjoy fireworks, you're part of the problem. I blame the culture of explosives. I'd bet Magley has used some illegal fireworks in his life. Does he have an explanation for these devices whose sole purpose is to shoot explosive balls of fire? Weapons of war, that's where they came from.

And, those firemen with their pulaski axes? Those were developed from the dutch halberd, the spike being for punching through armor and killing a man. Saving lives by punching through a door is not legitimate use for those...because it was designed as a killing weapon. It has no other use. It can never be used for good because if you swing it at a door, you're imagining swinging it at a person and you're just practicing for death and injury.

Oh, I could do this all day. But, I won't.

Mags and serpent are sad. Truly, and I mean this, sad.

:bow::bow::bow:

Be honest about why you carry a gun, you're afraid you aren't man enough on your own...

It has everything to do with odds. If someone wishes to harm my family, why would I want to chance "throwing elbows" against someone that could be hopped up on Meth? Not to mention how would "throwing elbows" compare to someone with a gun that wishes to harm me? This isn't the matrix sorry to say. What if there are multiple assailants? How long would you last against 3 dudes fresh out if prison that want to beat the shit out if you? Tell me how long your elbows work for you...

It has everything to do with odds. If someone wishes to harm my family, why would I want to chance "throwing elbows" against someone that could be hopped up on Meth? Not to mention how would "throwing elbows" compare to someone with a gun that wishes to harm me? This isn't the matrix sorry to say. What if there are multiple assailants? How long would you last against 3 dudes fresh out if prison that want to beat the shit out if you? Tell me how long your elbows work for you...

Even if you and your elbows prevailed in a struggle...should my 4'11" wife have to contend with an adult male? How about my 74 year old mother?

Elbows for them too?

All anti-gunners go down the same path. Every one, every time, if you let them talk long enough.

Blame rampant spread of guns.

Blame type of guns, capacity, question need.

Cite emotional pleas, murder statistics.

Start attacking gun owners as paranoid, sissies, over-compensating.

Ignore any and all evidence or justification that doesn't fit their bias.

Same talking points, same emotional-based arguments, every time.

Even if you and your elbows prevailed in a struggle...should my 4'11" wife have to contend with an adult male? How about my 74 year old mother?

Elbows for them too?

All anti-gunners go down the same path. Every one, every time, if you let them talk long enough.

Blame rampant spread of guns.

Blame type of guns, capacity, question need.

Cite emotional pleas, murder statistics.

Start attacking gun owners as paranoid, sissies, over-compensating.

Ignore any and all evidence or justification that doesn't fit their bias.

Same talking points, same emotional-based arguments, every time.

Yes. There is always someone bigger, faster and stronger than you. My 87 year old grandma sleeps with a pistol under her pillow. She knows that's her best chance to survive should anyone break into her home. She understands with a gun is a tool capable of killing but equally capable of saving a life.

Firearms are why we aren't British subjects, or speaking Japanese or German. Firearms are how our ancestors found food in the wilderness. Yes, firearms have killed many, many people over time. But they have also saved people. You cannot uninvent the gun. The AWB ban didn't work. No gun signs don't keep 7/11 to be robbed at gun point. Outlawing them hasn't caused Chicago to be the safest place to live. Gun registration hasn't stopped felons from obtaining and killing with them. What has happened is the grandma in town for horse races shot and killed an armed intruder. The Johnstown homeowner woke up to a gun in his face and it saved his life. It stopped a Waffle House robbery without a shot ever being fired. They saved Midget Todd's and his gf's life. Guns are what put the good guy and bad guy on equal grounds and the good guy was able to prevail.