Washer and Dryer shopping

Bad324

I need to start the research and search of purchasing a washer and gas dryer for the new house and I have zero idea where to start or what is good and what not

My budget is between $1500-$1750. All suggestions welcome

I personally do not like front load washers. You must be diligent and make sure that you wipe the door seal of any water or it will leak. This may have changed with better seal designs but that's a chance I don't have to take. If you like having water on your floor, knock yourself out.

I have purchased two sets of washers/dryers in the past 4 years. The first set was a Whirlpool Cabrio series, matching set with the largest HE top loading washer and the largest dryer. Zero complaint or problems but the washer had started to get a bit louder before we moved out. The latest set was again a top loading HE washer and dryer from Samsung. These are not quit top of the line, just a step down model wise but washer and dryer both have the VRT which is actually very good.

Top loaders are making a comeback because of the high cost of the front loaders. The doors are often times small on them also. We have washed king sized comforters in both of these brands and never had a single problem doing so. Try stuffing this same comforter into a tiny hole on a front load washer, it can be done but I'll have it in and started washing in mine before you've even got in. Another thing to keep in mind is most middle and high end top loader washers do not have the stupid impeller in the middle of them any longer which increases capacity.

Consumer reports gave the Samsung's a pretty high rating which is why I bought them for the new house.

I say save the money, get a good middle of the road set, top loading HE washer and matching dryer. Front loaders are a fad, IMO.

what happened to your blonde clothes washer?

she doesn't come with her own machinery :(

I've honestly been leaning towards top load washers as thats all I've ever used my entire life and see no issue with. I've heard whispers the front load are a pain in the ass (read: im lazy) so that as well as the prices was steering me to what I know.

My top 3 concerns are: Cleans well, doesn't break all the time and will last 8-10 years minimum

top loads are fine, and I've not had any trouble with the samsung front load I got either...

not sure what kind of pains other people are having with front loaders :dunno:

HE will save you money on water, and the detergents are getting reasonable, too.

i have samsung front loading set and they are great....the set cost about 2200 a few years ago, and they work like new....theyre so quiet you forget theyre on ...theyre in the hallway, like 15ft from the couch i sit on to watch tv....no leaks either

as for mold and leaks, like i said, mine dont leak and theyre a couple years old so far....for mold, i leave the washer door open (not open all the way, closed just not latched) and i run a washing machine cleaner through it once a month...no mold or smells or anything, its like new

FYI

All detergents perform the same across the board.

Some are better at certain stain (blood,grass) but if your just cleaning clothes Great Value works the same as Tide

I meant HE detergents...specifically designed for high efficiency washers...

conventional detergents have too many surfactants (bubblers) for HE machines...and honestly for no good reason.

I meant HE detergents...specifically designed for high efficiency washers...

conventional detergents have too many surfactants (bubblers) for HE machines...and honestly for no good reason.

Believe me I know it's my job :lol:

Figured I just state that for anyone that looks at this thread and it goes for HE detergents as well. We ran test on all the brands to figure out what we would have to create to beat em all and found that they are all the same for the most part in cleaning power.

I must just be lucky(knock on wood), but I've had the same set of washer/dryer combo I bought 6.5 years ago with 0 issues. Cheapest GE I could get at HHGreg, paid 500 for the PAIR. Both extra capacity, no fancy features because, I don't need them so why pay for them? The dryer has 3 temps, high, med. and no heat. It also has timed, and 2 different options for just letting it run based on what is drying. I always just put it on for 45 mins and never have issues, but it goes to 90. Washer has 3 temps, C/C, W/C, and H/H, for clean and rinse temps, then has 2 settings for cycles, but each setting has a light, medium, and heavy setting in it. So like whites/heavy is the longest and has a full spin/drain cycle which I think is KEY so you get clean water on your whites and towels etc. vs using a mix of soap and new water for like colors which is fine.

I do about 5 loads a week, fiance does 2, that includes sheets, towels, comforter, rugs, etc. Oh and car/truck wash towels. I took the dryer apart last month and took a shot vac to all the areas inside because it had smelled a little like burning lint, but then found the exhaust had a huge hole in it. Sealed it up and done.

FYI, they are electric, but I have a gas hookup option in my house for the dryer. I went with electric because my parents always had electric stuff, and it was like 100 cheaper to go electric than gas. But either way, I think they were marked at like 300 each, I told the sales guy, I'd pay 500 out the door, I loaded them up 5 minutes later. Granted this was years ago, but I've had 0 issues, heck, never even changed the hoses on the washer after 5 yrs like Im supposed to.

I do clean the inside of the washer about every 2 mos, and more often when washing cars/trucks just to keep the grime off the side. I run CLR through it, and as for the dryer I just clean the lint trap real well and always make sure to not overload either. Well the washer does get loaded sometimes, but still no issues.

I won't repair either of mine, I'd just replace, but I'll definitely just look for the same ones, just newer models.

mainly mold and leaky gaskets, though this is only a few that I'm aware of

Have a sweet set of LG units, front loader is huge and holds allot of clothes. We have had now for 5 years and not so much as a hiccup. The secret to reducing mold "we have none whatsoever" is to simply take a rag and wipe around the gasket......easy peezy. The Samsung units are most excellent too, we will never own another top loader again......ever.

FYI

All detergents perform the same across the board.

Some are better at certain stain (blood,grass) but if your just cleaning clothes Great Value works the same as Tide

The liquid soaps are not good to use in the front loaders, the high efficiancy powders are what you wanna use. There is actually fish oil in the liquid soaps, and they get to smelling rotten after a bit in the filter and gaskets.

Front loads will not wear out clothes as fast as top loads with the spindle in the middle because those stretch the fabric when they get wrapped around the spindle. Something to consider when weighing the pros and cons.

Front loads will not wear out clothes as fast as top loads with the spindle in the middle because those stretch the fabric when they get wrapped around the spindle. Something to consider when weighing the pros and cons.

A lot of top-loads now don't have the agitator in the middle anymore.